6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2012 5:36 AM by Steve Grisetti

What Type Of File?

NextGenerationProd

I have defeated the format monster. The format monster being that Adobe Premiere Elements 10 will not support two videos at once or DSLR hardly at all. I defeated it by downloading a software which lets me convert videos into particular files. So, I need to know what type of file is best supported and convenienty used in APE 10. Can anyone tell me?

• 1. Re: What Type Of File?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Let's step back a bit. Can you give us the full specs. of the files, that you are having issues with, and also the Project Preset, that you are using, to Import those files?

What happens, when you Import them?

What happens, when you drag them to your Timeline, to edit them?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: What Type Of File?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I agree with Bill. You may well be taking your video farther from rather than closer to a compatible format by converting it.

Premiere Elements 10 very much does support DSLR video. And version 11 even allows you to use two different formats in the same project.

Our FAQs offer information on converting your video to standard definition DV-AVIs (which are not just any AVIs).

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

But why do that if you don't have to?

Though we need to know your camcorder and camera models in order to advise any more specifically.

• 3. Re: What Type Of File?
              NextGenerationProd Level 1

Thank you for the reply.

Here is the problem. I cannot edit two formats on the same project.

The first camera is the Canon Rebel t3i.

The second camera (the camcorder) is the sony HDR-SR11:http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HDR-SR11-Definition-Camcorder-Stabilized/dp/B00123XZNI/ref=sr_1 _1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348938110&sr=8-1&keywords=hdr+sr11

All I want is for everything to work RIGHT. I haven't fully gotten anything to work right since I got my first new camera, The Canon Rebel t3i. I succeeded by importing the video through Adobe rather than importing it to the computer and then to adobe.

I just want everything to work out right. My biggest problem of them all being editing DSLR footage and footage from the camcorder at the same time.

• 4. Re: What Type Of File?

Version 11 is able to edit two different video formats in the same project. Versions prior to that are not.

In fact, version 11 even sets up your project specs automatically, based on the first clip you add to your timeline.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: What Type Of File?
                  NextGenerationProd Level 1

So my only choice would be too update to version 11? Or can I convert one of them to match the other?

• 6. Re: What Type Of File?

The easiest thing to do would be to convert the Canon video to AVCHD. Then you can load both AVCHD videos into one project. But this will only work if you shot your Sony footage in FH or HQ 1920x1080 mode and you shot your Canon video at 1920x1080.

1) Open a new Premiere Elements project. Make sure it's set up for DSLR 1920x1080p30.

2) Plug your Canon camera into your computer via USB and use Get Media/From Flip, AVCHD or Hard Disk camcorder to open the Video Importer and import the files from the camera to your video project.

3) Put the video on your timeline and use Share/Computer/AVCHD with the preset for M2T 1920x1080 30 fps to output your movie as an M2T file.

4) Open a new project set up for Full AVCHD 1920x1080 with 5.1 audio (since your Sony shoots in 5.1).

5) Use Get Media to bring in your Sony footage and the M2T files you created above and start editing.

Or get version 11. In which you can just load it all at once and just edit!