8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2012 4:19 PM by Peter Spier

Script Error at launch since recent upgrade to CS6 & features missing

JBerger

After many failed attempts at getting all of the programs in CS6 Design Premium installed, I was finally able to with the help of the "Installing" forum.  Unfortunately I am still having problems with InDesign.  When launching I still get the script error:

Error in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Startup Scripts CS6\Flash\Flash-12.0.jsx

Line 153: if( app.name = = flashAppname && (module.name = = 'DefaultScript' II module.name = = 'Flash'))

Cannot open resource file.

Also, I am still missing Effects features under the Object drop down menu. Any ideas?  I am able to open files that have "effects" in them, but am not able to edit the effects at all. I am hoping someone can help me out.  I have already ran a Adobe Support Advisor log and from what I have been told it checked out fine.  Here is the thread:http://forums.adobe.com/message/4727814#4727814

• 1. Re: Script Error at launch since recent upgrade to CS6 & features missing
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

While the log might not indicate a problem, I think the error message and missing effects pretty much says otherwise.

I don't like to say this, especially since you had so much trouble getting this far, but I think you need to uninstall and reinstall, and I'd run the Clean script, befor the reinstall: CS Cleaner Tool for installation problems | CCM, CS6, CS5.5, CS5, CS4, CS3

That said, though, I'd try a last-ditch effort at a repair first. Try running MSconfig and turn off all non-essential startups and services, which is pretty much anything non-microsoft. I leave my mouse driver running, but it isn't necessary. Be sure that you've turned off anti-virus and malware scanners, instant messengers, iTunes, and any brower helpers or toolbars. Reboot. If you wind up back in MSconfig, press cancel to continue in diagnostic mode.

Run the installer. Wheter it would be best to uninstall ID, the reboot and run the installer again (still in diagnostic mode) to reinstall, or to just run a "repair" is probably a toss-up. I don't think eihter one is going to thoroughly clean the registry the way the cleaner tool does (but as far aas I know, that's gong to remove the entire package, not just ID, so we want to avoid it if possible). I'd probably try the reapir first, as it's faster and if it works, great. If not uninstall, reboot again, and reinstall.

Once finished with the installer, run MSconfig again and check the "normal startup" box and reboot.

• 2. Re: Script Error at launch since recent upgrade to CS6 & features missing
            JBerger Level 1

I appreciate the help. Not to sound skeptic, but everthing that you stated is how I was able to install CS6 without errors. (Uninstall, MSConfig, turn off everything not MS, Run the cleaner, etc., then install)

The thing that bugs me is that there is an identical PC sitting right next to this one that installed CS6 Design Standard with no problems at all.

• 3. Re: Script Error at launch since recent upgrade to CS6 & features missing

What can I say?

What's different between the two machines?

• 4. Re: Script Error at launch since recent upgrade to CS6 & features missing
                JBerger Level 1

Well, the other machine is running Design Standard vs. Design Premium, and (big "and" there) it went from 5.5 to 6 where as mine went from 5 to 6.  I actually think that is where mine is having problems as acrobat x pro was the main source of my problems since upgrading. Other than that, they are identical.

• 5. Re: Script Error at launch since recent upgrade to CS6 & features missing

Other than Acrobat, the suite installations should be totally independent of any earlier version and not care about what was already installed.

This is pretty risky, so if you have any doubts, don't even consider it, but I wonder what would happen if you copied the entire ID application folder from the working system and replaced the non-working one. maybe do the same with the Adobe Common files. I wouldn't do this without having a backup image of the system that you can restore (a real image, not a Windows restore point) if things don't work out.

• 6. Re: Script Error at launch since recent upgrade to CS6 & features missing
                    JBerger Level 1

By "Real Image" do you mean just copying my current application and common files to an external hard drive or something?

• 7. Re: Script Error at launch since recent upgrade to CS6 & features missing

No, I mean using an imaging program like Norton Ghost or Save and Restore, or Acronis True Image or something similar. Windows' own backup might work, but I've never actually used it. I've used Ghost, Acronis, and now Shadow Protect, all of which worked quite well for full system recovery in the event of disaster, and I have a friend who swears by both Acronis and the Norton Save and Restore programs. If you subscribe to a servie like Carbonite, that would be OK, too.

These kinds of utilities are real lifesavers when something unfortunate like a hard drive failure happens. Typically I can rebuild my entire system in less than an hour, inclding the time it takes to replace the defective hard drive, and it's exactly the same as it was when the image was made- all customizations intact.

• 8. Re: Script Error at launch since recent upgrade to CS6 & features missing

It occurs to me that we might be miscommunicating a little.

I did mean you should copy the application folder to an external drive, then copy it from there to the other machine, but I also meant don't do it without a disaster recovery plan in place. I don't want you to have a worse situation from which you can't recover if that doesn't help.