7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2012 11:10 PM by 420jammer

Lights

420jammer

Hi guys, I have a scene with a tiny blue-tinted spotlight on an image.  However, the light is not bright enough.  I've tried increasing the Intensity, but unfortunately, this does not get the light bright enough.  Since this is a light and not an actual image, I'm not sure how to increase this visually.  Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Lights
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can increast the intensity of an AE light way over 100. That begs the question, What kind of light? Spotlight, point light? More information about your project is required. There's no way to tell what's going on without more info.

• 2. Re: Lights
            420jammer Level 1

Spotlight, with blue tint. Tried increasing intensity and it just burns out the image.  I just want a stronger, more noticeable blue.

Message was edited by: Andrew Yoole         The image in this post was removed by request from the original poster.

• 3. Re: Lights
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I just want a stronger, more noticeable blue.

Then use an effect on the layer, not a light. Circle is your friend.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Lights

Do you want the blue bigger and maybe with a soft edge. Adjust the cone angle and feather. Find them by double clicking the light layer or by selecting the light layer in the timeline and pressing the A key twice.

• 5. Re: Lights
                  420jammer Level 1

Unfortunately, I want to keep it the same size and shape, I just want it to be brighter, with a darker blue almost.  Nothing with the light (changing the color, intensity, cone angle, feather, etc.) could really accomplish that.

I ended up making some solid shapes and making them glow (with fast blurs and curves), which allowed me to get closer to the effect I wanted.  I was just hoping there would be some sort of "adjustment layer for lights", although I realize now that that doesn't make much sense on my part!

• 6. Re: Lights

Lights are adative in all apps that have lights. If your scene is mostly white (like your fish) the more blue you add to the scene the lighter the blue gets because you are trying to add a high blue value to the blue channel that is already nearly at the maximum value of blue. This decreases the saturation of the blue. The more you increase the value the lower the saturation.

To make the blue more saturated you need to subtract the opposite of blue light (that's yellow by the way). For this to work you need to have a white light source to your scene. The easiest way to do this is to use Ambient light at 100%.

Take a look at this screenshot. The spotlight is yellow and set to -114%, the ambient light is white and set to 100%. The yellow light is subtracting yellow from the white and leaving blue. While this is a funky work around, it would do exactly what you want to do in your project using light instead of solids and blend modes.

Screen Shot 2012-09-28 at 10.28.53 PM.png

By the way, lights are addative in real life too.

• 7. Re: Lights
                      420jammer Level 1

Thank you so much, I understand much better now, and this did produce the effect I was looking for.  I always learn so much from you.