8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2012 8:50 AM by Jim_Simon

Making sub-clips in a multicam sequence

Bob Fischer 156

Hi,

I used two cameras conducting while conducting an interview, and I'd like to be able to make sub-clips of the parts I want to use of my multicam sequence.  Is that possible?

Warm regards,

Bob Fischer

• 1. Re: Making sub-clips in a multicam sequence
          KGCW Level 1

Hi bob.

As multicam source clip are actually nested sequences you won't be able to create a subclip of them the usual way.

One possible workaround I can think of would be the following :

- duplicate your original multicam and rename the duplicate to the desired subclip name.

- right click on the duplicate and select "Open in Timeline".

- make sure all your video tracks are active, they're not by default (audio is linked so it will follow the edit).

- position the playhead where you want your subclip to start and use the "Ripple Trim Previous Edit to Playhead" shorcut.

- position the playhead where you want your subclip to end and use the "Ripple Trim Next Edit to Playhead" shorcut.

- if you need another sublclip from the same original multicam, repeat from the beginning.

Ripple Trim Previous/Next Edit to Playhead are unassigned by default, so you'll have to go into the keyboard shortcuts menu and assign them a keystroke.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Making sub-clips in a multicam sequence
            Bob Fischer 156 Level 1

Thanks.  That would certainly work.

I read on some forum - forgot where - to create subclips on the original clips, but that seems like a lot of work to apply the same edits to both sets of clips first.  Does anyone know how to do that easily?

• 3. Re: Making sub-clips in a multicam sequence
              Allynn Wilkinson Level 2

To do it this way I would first make sure that both full clips were the same length.  Top or tail each clip to the exact same length and then output a new master at the native resolution.  After that, it's just a matter of noting the I/O points when you sub-clip (make your life easy - make them whole numbers!).  Once you've gone through one camera angle just take your clip-log and cut up the other one at the same points.

• 4. Re: Making sub-clips in a multicam sequence
                Jim_Simon Level 8

What I normally do is make the multicam cut in the usual way, then take the parts of that I want to keep and Cut/Paste into a third sequence.

• 5. Re: Making sub-clips in a multicam sequence
                  GWeglarz Level 1

I have a similar issue. I have a two camera shoot that I have synched up. I haven't done the multicam edit yet.

It is of a museum exhibit opening gala. So, there is a linear timeline of singers, speakers, singers, speakers.

< Clip One --singers -- singers -- speaker -- speaker -- speaker -- singers -- singers -->

< Clip Two --singers -- singers -- speaker -- speaker -- speaker -- singers -- singers -->

What I need to do is to take the footage - 35 Minutes - and trim it down to 3 minutes. What I need to do is show singers doing one song (multicam) then fade out the audio, bring up b-roll footage and audio, bring back in singers, fade out singers and bring in speakers (singers as backround audio while speaker speaks) and - this important - speakers are part of the two clips that make up the entire multicam sequence.

So, I could multicam everything first and then use that footage as my basis for cutting, adding b-roll and cutting entire speeches, songs, etc.

Or, I could set markers in the original multiclip synched sequence marking the beginnings of each "event" I could use the razor tool and start hacking it up and sliding it around. Then resynch all cut clips from the two sequences and multicam from there.

Is this clear at all?

Thanks.

• 6. Re: Making sub-clips in a multicam sequence
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Is this clear at all?

It is.  Was that your only question?

• 7. Re: Making sub-clips in a multicam sequence
                      GWeglarz Level 1

Any workflow tips for this type of project would be helpful. I ended up copying sections from the multi-camera sequence into a new sequence and then editing and trimming the copies. Not ideal, but, it works. The sequence markers in the original sequence turned into clip markers in the multi-camera sequence; not a big deal but no keyboard shortcut to move to clip markers.

Thanks.

• 8. Re: Making sub-clips in a multicam sequence
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

I think the way yo did it is the best way.