5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 18, 2014 10:21 AM by OttADEPPM RSS

When will Adobe Reader for iOS support Livecycle XFA forms?

agreenadobescreenname Community Member

Adobe Reader for iOS currently does not appear to support XFA forms created through Livecycle. Although it supports some field types, the HTTP submit and Email submit buttons don't work.

Being able to email the completed form ready for someone else to submit would be a work around, however when attempting to 'share' a completed form and send it by email the form is blank when saved and opened in the desktop version of Adobe Reader on a PC.

We are getting more and more requests from ipad users who wish to use our forms, and it seems that some other paid-for apps claim to support this. Seeing as Adobe Reader is the industry standard product for using PDFs could we have more support for pdf forms please?

...or at the very least, a product roadmap with some dates for when this might be available please?

• 1. Re: When will Adobe Reader for iOS support Livecycle XFA forms?
          Dennis Griffin (Adobe) Employee Hosts

There are two basic varieties of LiveCycle XFA...Static XFA and Dynamic XFA, which are very different in terms of their future for potential support in Adobe Reader for iOS. Which variety of XFA are you using?

Static XFA uses the PDF markup language for content and form fields, so users can view the documents in Adobe Reader for iOS, but we currently do not properly handle filling, saving, and submitting those forms. I have improving our handling of Static XFA on my roadmap, but cannot offer any specific date yet (sorry, policy plus actual uncertainty). I know that there are some other apps that partially support Static XFA, though I do not know how complete their support is. If you can even open the XFA document in Adobe Reader for iOS, it is likely Static XFA.

Dynamic XFA is effectively a JavaScript application packaged inside a PDF wrapper, which generates layout and form fields via code and requires a significant engine to support this. Support for Dynamic XFA is unfortunately not currently on our roadmap for iOS due to the nature of the technology, and our concern that any implementation we try likely will not pass Apple's restriction against installing something that allows other "apps" to be downloaded and executed from within it. The LiveCycle team is exploring solutions for our enterprise customers wanting to use Dynamic XFA from mobile devices as part of their server offering, but I cannot offer any insight here. To my knowledge, there are no applications that handle Dynamic XFA other than Adobe Reader for the desktop platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux).

Dennis

• 2. Re: When will Adobe Reader for iOS support Livecycle XFA forms?
            agreenadobescreenname Community Member

Hi Dennis

Thanks for your response to the above (back in September). We use both static and dynamic forms, however just static XFA support would be a good start.

Do you have an update at all please on when Adobe Reader for iOS might include support for this?

Thanks for your help.

Andy

• 3. Re: When will Adobe Reader for iOS support Livecycle XFA forms?
              Dennis Griffin (Adobe) Employee Hosts

Unfortunately, I don't yet have any update...but this is something that we want to look into. There are just so many things competing for attention that we can't get to them all!

• 4. Re: When will Adobe Reader for iOS support Livecycle XFA forms?
                formatix
                Dynamic pdf forms on mobile devices are exactly what our customers need in their current projects . Unfortunately, more and more company turn away form PDF and Adobe because the xfa technology is not supported by mobile reader. I can not understand why adobe is not serving this market?
                Jan

btw: Why is static XFA supported by PDF Expert but not by Adobe mobile Reader?

• 5. Re: When will Adobe Reader for iOS support Livecycle XFA forms?
                  OttADEPPM techies

I've written a blog post to describe our approach around XFA forms and mobile devices. 

http://blogs.adobe.com/livecycle/2014/04/adobe-reader-mobile-and-xfa-forms-from-livecycle- designer.html

I hope that helps to clarify things and our approach. 

BTW we looked at supporting just static XFA on Adobe Reader mobile but  felt that delivering half the solution wasn't good enough (there are limits to how much of the scripting model can be supported  with static and dynamic XFA isn't an option).