7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2008 5:52 AM by Linux Rules

Pre-installation Questions

Linux Rules Level 2
      AIR looks interesting and I would like to play with it. However, we have strict policies regarding the (government) workstations and installed software.

In looking through the info I could find, it looks like some AIR projects could contain banned files (such as Flash).

So the questions are:
      > Does the AIR Player install Flash to the workstation (be it Windows or Mac)?
      > If so, does the Flash removal tool (uninstall_flash_player.exe) remove all traces of Flash (from the Windows workstation) after AIR Player is installed? How about from Macs?
      > If not, will Adobe provide a removal tool in the near future?

Once all traces of Flash are expunged from a workstation (after installing AIR Player), when a user runs an AIR project that contains embedded Flash files, what happens?

Same questions for the AIR SDK.

I would use the RoboHelp AIR packager. All vestiges of Flash were manually removed from the registry after installing RoboHelp (which took a long time!) and I'ld rather not have to go through that again.

Regards,
      GEWB
        • 1. Re: Pre-installation Questions
          Oliver Goldman Adobe Employee
          No, installing AIR does not install Flash. The SDK doesn't install anything; it's simply unpackaged and used in place.

AIR renders Flash content itself, which is how AIR applications built using Flash content work.

Oliver Goldman | Adobe AIR Engineering

• 2. Re: Pre-installation Questions
            Linux Rules Level 2
            Hello Oliver -

Thanks for your reply!

So, we could install the AIR Player and the SDK.

But, if we don't have a Flash player install, what happens when a user opens an AIR file that contains Flash content? Is there an error message or AIR equivalent of a 404? If the content displays, does that mean AIR Player has the Flash Player enbedded?

Regards,
            GEWB
            • 3. Re: Pre-installation Questions
              There are two kinds of Flash content in AIR applications: content that's part of the application itself, and Flash content embedded in HTML which is in turn being rendered in the HTML control. The first kind is rendered by AIR; the second by an embedded copy of Flash. However, this is an implementation detail; in the future, the second kind my also be rendered directly by AIR.

• 4. Re: Pre-installation Questions
                Linux Rules Level 2
                Hello Oliver -

Thanks for your reply.

So, if the AIR generated app (installed via AIR Player) has Flash as part of the content and our workstations don't have Flash installed, what happens?

If the AIR file was created from HTML source (such as RoboHelp) and it contains Flash, what happens when the AIR file is installed on a workstation that doesn't have Flash installed?

Does your comment about "future" mean that the AIR Player in the future WILL render Flash if it was part of the source HTML even if the user doesn't have Flash installed? If so, that would totally kill the use of AIR anything for some of us.

Regards,
                GEWB
                • 5. Re: Pre-installation Questions
                  Linux Rules Level 2
                  Hello Oliver -

I may have figured it out...you replied that "The first kind is rendered by AIR; the second by an embedded copy of Flash." I interpret that to mean the user does not need to install a Flash Player and that AIR will render Flash regardless of the source type and without an installed Flash Player...so AIR is also a Flash Player.

Did I interprept your reply correctly?

Regards,
                  GEWB
                  • 6. Re: Pre-installation Questions
                    Correct; a user does not need Flash installed to render Flash content in AIR.

• 7. Re: Pre-installation Questions
                      Linux Rules Level 2
                      quote:

Originally posted by: Oliver Goldman
                      Correct; a user does not need Flash installed to render Flash content in AIR.

Hello Oliver -

Sigh. Thanks.

I was really hoping that AIR would be a killer format but we'll have to kill it.

Regards,
                      GEWB