5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2012 4:33 PM by peter minneapolis

Creating Arbitrary Fractions

alpinemice Level 1

I'm using Helvetica Neu LT STD. Does anyone know if it is possible to make arbitrary fraction in this font when using InDesign?

I tried using the following instructions, but nothing changed, even though I had the option to choose "Fraction" from the OpenType menu in the Character Palette.

http://helpx.adobe.com/legacy/kb/using-opentype-fonts-create-arbitrary.html

• 1. Re: Creating Arbitrary Fractions
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

When I try it with Helvetica Neue LT Pro it seems to make everything a numerator in the selected string. I think they screwed up the fractions implementation, so you'll have to work around it. One way is by adding baseline shift to demominators. You could make two character styles, one for numerators that applies fractions, and one for denominators that applies fractions and the baseline shift.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Creating Arbitrary Fractions
            alpinemice Level 1

That's a good hack... Thanks!

• 3. Re: Creating Arbitrary Fractions
              peter minneapolis Level 4

Peter Spier wrote:

When I try it with Helvetica Neue LT Pro it seems to make everything a numerator in the selected string. I think they screwed up the fractions implementation, so you'll have to work around it. One way is by adding baseline shift to demominators. You could make two character styles, one for numerators that applies fractions, and one for denominators that applies fractions and the baseline shift.

...and then create a nested style that applies the numerator character style to numbers that precede the "/" another style to the "/" and the denominator character style the numbers that follow it...?

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 4. Re: Creating Arbitrary Fractions
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

As far as I can tell, it makes no difference if the Fractions attribute is applied to the / or not. Since creating fractions is pretty hard to automate by nested or GREP styles (too many other things, like dates, that use slashes and numbers, and no way to know which part of the number before the slash is integer and which is numerator when you have more than one digit), I don't see a need to worry particularly about the / as your most likely selecting the numbers and applying the styles manually anyway.

Seems to me we've had more than one thread trying to come up with a "foolproof" GREP expression to build fractions, and I don't think anyone has been convincingly successful.

• 5. Re: Creating Arbitrary Fractions
                  peter minneapolis Level 4

Sometimes appearance of the "/" might need tweaking, depending on need or taste. Some folks use the virgule while others use the solidus, for the forward slash. It could be possible to refine the automation based on consistent use of one or the other to differentiate fractions from dates.

Also, David Blattner's InDesign plug-ins toolkit from DTP Tools might be a solution for some folks. http://www.dtptools.com/product.asp?id=blid&more=features

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Peter Spier wrote:

As far as I can tell, it makes no difference if the Fractions attribute is applied to the / or not. Since creating fractions is pretty hard to automate by nested or GREP styles (too many other things, like dates, that use slashes and numbers, and no way to know which part of the number before the slash is integer and which is numerator when you have more than one digit), I don't see a need to worry particularly about the / as your most likely selecting the numbers and applying the styles manually anyway.

Seems to me we've had more than one thread trying to come up with a "foolproof" GREP expression to build fractions, and I don't think anyone has been convincingly successful.