6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2012 12:02 AM by station_two

Weird Differences Between 32 and 64 bit Conversions

Noel Carboni Level 7

Windows Users:

Ever convert exactly the same raw file using exactly the same parameters into 16 bits/channel images with Photoshop CS6 32 bit and 64 bit, overlay them, set the top layer to "Differences", then add a couple of extreme curves adjustment layers over the top?

Amazingly, there's a difference between the two conversions.

Even more amazingly, while there's a slight correllation to the image content, there are patterns in the differences that don't really match much of anything in the image, yet they differ from raw file to raw file.

Try it some time.  If you can't reproduce it, I'll be happy to share my raw file.

Here are two small images, the converted raw file, and the enhanced differences between a 32 and 64 bit conversion of that same raw file.

Converted.jpg

Enhanced/blurred differences betwen the 32 and 64 bit conversions.

Differences.jpg

Artificial intelligence trying to express itself?  Cosmic rays?  Kirlean messages from Beyond? 

I happened to be using the 32 bit Photoshop today to access some plug-ins I only can get in 32 bits, converted the same image in both, and just wondered whether there might be differences.  You never know what you'll find until you look!

Oh, and sorry Mac folks - I know you only have a 64 bit converter to play with.

I'm reminded of the old adage:  A man with one watch knows what time it is.  A man with two watches is never sure.

-Noel