3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2012 1:30 AM by Peter Villevoye

How do I keep an Edge Animate banner ad file size small?

SGPGirl

Most publishers cap the file size of banner ads at 30 KB to 50 KB. Is that possible using Edge? I know someone asked a question like this two years ago, and the reply was to use a CDN to serve the larger .js files. Is there a more direct approach now that Edge is no longer in preview? Thanks!

• 1. Re: How do I keep an Edge Animate banner ad file size small?
          heathrowe Most Valuable Participant

From the File > Publish Settings > Web there is an option to enable 'Frameworks via CDN'.

Darrell

• 2. Re: How do I keep an Edge Animate banner ad file size small?
            jhatwich Adobe Employee

Hi SGPGirl,

We were just forming what became the Edge Animate team two years ago, so many questions were asked at that time.  The 30k-50k ad standards were built with Flash in mind; HTML advertising standards are still emerging.  In the meanwhile, we are making a continuing investment to improve the form factor of Animate output.  Here are a few things we've done so far in "Publish":

- Frameworks via CDN (for jQuery)

- "Polite" preloader - this allows you to sneak-in under 30k size limits.  It shows a light-weight "preloader" and then pull in a larger payload after the page has loaded.  The preloader UI contains a meter that indicates the gzipped size of the preloader including its resources.

- Compressed composition output.  When published, the animation (xyz_edge.js) is written in an efficient/compact form that shaves as much as 80% from the composition size.

I'd be grateful for your perspective on the "polite preloader" approach vs. trying to fit the entire composition into 30k.  If Animate were to support an "areo-gel weight" output format, what kinds of experiences would you expect to produce with it?  If you have any examples, please share!

- Josh

• 3. Re: How do I keep an Edge Animate banner ad file size small?
              Peter Villevoye Adobe Community Professional

Looking forward and restricting my focus to mobile devices, I would love to have an Animate file and output format option that behaves more like decent HTML5 (with sheer transitions/transforms, and no animating scripts). I hate Edge Animate's behavior to turn a well-formed page with clean HTML content and neat CSS rules, into some loaded object and a whopping 200K bunch of scripts...