7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2012 11:14 PM by mythster

Canon T3i importing

mythster Level 1

I shot some interviews on a T3i and I don't want to to make a project right now. I just want to make sure that I import them correctly so I can reformat the cards.

What is the best way to do that? I tried to use a card reader but that didn't seem to work. I did connect the camera directly and turn it on and I don't see the files as a drive but I did see them in Aperture, ready for importing.

What is the best workflow to keep the 1080 HD quality at its best for later use?

I have the latest CS6 programs.

• 1. Re: Canon T3i importing
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Get another card reader, or with the camera directly connected, use Windows Explorer (or Finder on Mac) to copy the entire card over to your hard drive.

That's it.

• 2. Re: Canon T3i importing
            mythster Level 1

Thanks for the answer.

Okay, I tried again with the camera connected to the Mac and the only place I see the chance to import is if I go to Image Capture, Aperture or iPhoto.

How would I even ingest into Prelude or Premiere Pro? The files do not show up in the finder either. It doesn't mount like a drive.

I'm perfectly able to use image capture, but I would assume there is a workflow for ingesting this kind of material directly into Premiere Pro.

• 3. Re: Canon T3i importing
              Jim_Simon Level 8

The files do not show up in the finder either.

That's a system level problem you need to resolve first.  The camera should show up as a connected device, with access to the full contents of the card from Finder.

• 4. Re: Canon T3i importing
                mythster Level 1

Seems strange because I have the same problem on two different computers. All other drives and cards do mount on both machines as drives. I thank you for your answer, but I'm not sure it is correct.

• 5. Re: Canon T3i importing
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

All other drives and cards do mount on both machines as drives.

That's indicating there is something wrong here.  You should be able to see the files from Finder.  The normal and best process is to use Finder to copy the entire card over to your hard drive.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Canon T3i importing
                    Bill Engeler Level 2

In the past,  Canon cameras never showed up as a drive when connected via usb. They're just funny like that. I'm not able to test this right now to see if it has changed or not, but it would explain things. Just use a card reader and copy from the card. In any case, I photo should work ok to get the files to your computer.

• 7. Re: Canon T3i importing
                      mythster Level 1

Thank you. I'll just carry on with the image capture or aperture. Probably Lightroom would work as well, but I just haven't tried it.