5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2012 1:47 PM by SebastiaoV

Change color at once

SebastiaoV Level 1

Hi guys,

I have a 50 pages document without character or paragraph style. I know it is my fault. The body text is both Black 80% hue and Magenta 80% hue. I know it easy to replace one color in Indesign by throwing it to the trash can and select another but what happens if that color is Black? Black cannot be eliminated from the Colors Palette. It is a default color.

Besides, can i replace a color by another color at 80% hue or it will just replace it at the 100% saturation?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

S.-

• 1. Re: Change color at once
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

When you replace a swatch you don't affect the tint values where you applied it, only the swatch color itself.

Can you be more explicit about what you want to end up with? I'm sure this can be done with a combination of swatch replacement and Find/Change, once we know where you want to end up.

• 2. Re: Change color at once
            SebastiaoV Level 1

Thanks for the fast reply Peter,

Can you be more explicit about what you want to end up with? I'm sure this can be done with a combination of swatch replacement and Find/Change, once we know where you want to end up.

I would like to end up with al my Magenta Text in 80 % as Magenta Text in 50%. I would also like my Black 80% text in Black 100%. I need both because Magenta is text in English and Black is text in Spanish. How can i use the Find/Change to do this is neither of them is in character/paragraph style?

Cheers,

• 3. Re: Change color at once
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Presuming you really do mean ALL of the text in a particular swatch/tint combination, this is actually pretty simple using  Find/Change, but you'll have to do each color separately. You can do it in either the plain text or GREP dialog as you aren't going to need to enter anythng in either the Find or Change fields, only the Find Format and Change Format sections.

Click the little magnifier icon next to the Find Format box to enter the dialog. If you've already assigned a language to the text for spell checking, you can go to the Advanced Character Formatting pane and just choose the language from the dropdown, otherwise, go to the Character Color pane and choose your swatch, then enter the tint value in the Tint field. Say OK

Now go to the Change Format dialog by clicking the magnifier icon next to that box. Go to the Character Color pane and set the color and tint you want for replacement. If you haven't set a language previously, you might want to do that now in the Advanced Character Formatting Pane, then say OK.

Back in the Find/Change Dialog select Change ALL.

Repeat for each color you want to change.

• 4. Re: Change color at once
                SebastiaoV Level 1

Thanks Peter, i will try it in a couple of minutes to see if i can make it to work.

Good info!

• 5. Re: Change color at once
                  SebastiaoV Level 1

The Find/Change works really great for that. Thanks for the good info. Really good indeed.

Cheers.

S.-