11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2012 6:33 AM by Steven L. Gotz

Possible to skip part of a clip without cutting it?

dcmurrayblank

Hi.

I am trying to get a good workflow for a project I am working on in Premiere Pro CS6.

I have one continuous clip that I would like to skip many small sections of (often only fractions of a second, or 1 or 2 seconds).

Is there a way to avoid cutting the single clip into numerous smaller ones and deleting the parts that I don't want? Can I, for example, keep a single clip in the sequence editor, and choose adjustable sections that will be skipped over without cutting the clip?

The reason I ask is that this edit style is going to really chop up the footage into tiny pieces and I would like to avoid having to deal with hundreds of smaller clips that have been cut from a single original. This is especially important as I may need to tweak the parts that are skipped...

I have even uploaded a diagram...

Thanks.

adobe_premiere_pro_skip_clip_sections.jpg

• 1. Re: Possible to skip part of a clip without cutting it?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Is there a way to avoid cutting the single clip into numerous smaller ones and deleting the parts that I don't want? Can I, for example, keep a single clip in the sequence editor, and choose adjustable sections that will be skipped over without cutting the clip?

No.

• 2. Re: Possible to skip part of a clip without cutting it?
            Sal Spring Level 1

You could try opening your original clip in the source monitor, make an I/O selection of one porttion of the clip and insert into the sequence. Then make a second I/O selection and insert, and so forth. This should give you a series of small clips in the sequence that still can be adjusted later, and would take not much more time than doing it all in the sequence. It would leave your original clip intact.

• 3. Re: Possible to skip part of a clip without cutting it?
              cfg_2451 Level 2

Harm Millaard wrote:

No.

Actually, I have to disagree with Harm here. Perhaps he misreads the question though, and I'm considerably more a newbie at this than Harm, so perhaps I relate to a newbie's question better. Or, perhaps I'm just wrong. I'm sure I'll find out shortly ;-)

First thing first. PPro never does anything to your original footage, other than read it. So your original footage is always available to you, untouched. What PPro does write to is the PPro project file. And here it just writes what changes you've made to that footage -- for example, what parts of it you've used, and where. So even if you drag some footage to your timeline and hack it to death with the razor tool (not recommended), your original footage isn't touched, and you can always use it to start over. This is non-distructive editing writ large.

That said, there's probably a number of ways to accomplish what you want. One way would be to drag your clip to the source monitor. There, set your in and out points for the first chunk of footage you want to use. Then drag this to your timeline. Notice that only the footage between your in and out points shows up on the timeline. Then go back to the source monitor and move your in and out points to the next selection you want to use. Again, drag from the source monitor to your timeline. Notice that you've got only the footage you specified in either clip on the timeline. Notice also that you haven't cut anything, so you have full heads and tails to both clips on the timeline. This is very useful -- you can use the trim tools to change the size of your clips to include more of the footage (or less of it) on the timeline -- because you haven't cut any of the footage off, you can still use it. Especially useful for video transitions like dissolves. Anyway, you can continue to do this with your original footage until you have all the bits and pieces that you're interested in on the timeline.

Notice this in particular: You haven't created any new named clips to keep track of, and you haven't deleted the parts you don't want. All you've done is select the parts that you do want, and copied them to your timeline. The original clip remains one long clip with whatever continuity you had.

As to continuity, you can rearrange the bits and pieces on your timeline now that you have them there -- you don't have to maintain the time order from your original footage. And rearranging  the timeline has no effect on the original footage.

You could do the same basic thing I've described above by dragging your footage directly to the timeline. Use the trim tools (not the razor) to set in and out points. Then drag that same footage to the timeline again. Rinse and repeat as necessary. This method is perhaps somewhat more clumsy. Depends on how you like to work though.

One of the points to be made here is to use the trim tools and the editing tools (rolling edit tool is one of my favs, especially for multi-camera editing) instead of the razor. Learn to avoid the razor as much as you can. Do this and you'll be impressed at how flexible PPro can be.

If, OTOH, what you really want is a section of footage on your timeline without any edit marks in it (and I have no idea why you'd want this, but...), we can do that to, but indirectly. Easy enough to do, you just do what I described above. Then, create a new sequence (project panel), and drag the sequence you've been working on from the project panel to this new sequence. This is called a nested sequence. And poof, no more edit points in this new sequence.

• 4. Re: Possible to skip part of a clip without cutting it?
                Jim_Simon Level 8

I have to disagree with Harm here.

The problem with that is, Harm's right.  There's just no way to use parts of a clip and still keep it as one long clip in the sequence.

What might help is after the cuts are made, nesting that sequence into another.  That will give you one long 'clip' to work with, sans bad parts.

• 5. Re: Possible to skip part of a clip without cutting it?
                  Stephen_Spider Level 3

No.

Your suggested process is not how editing software works. There are likely workflows to accomplish what you need, but you don't need to reinvent the wheel. Become more familiar with what the software actually does and it will speed up your workflow.

• 6. Re: Possible to skip part of a clip without cutting it?
                    Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Editing is basically cutting out the bad parts and leaving the good parts, putting the story together in a way that suits the agenda. Comedy, Drama, Documentary, etc.

As they say, you can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs.

Seriously though, cutting is normal. If you want to take out the bad parts, you have to cut. Now, I admit, having a way to hide frames the way you hide columns in Microsoft Excel might be pretty cool, but that just doesn't exist in any NLE that I know of.

Let's discuss what you mean by "tweaking". Remember, if you ripple delete a small section, you can always delete the clip that comes after it, and just stretch out the clip before to fill the space. Then it is just like the cut nevere happened.

If you mean color correction and other effects, perhaps you apply the effects before you slice it up. Or, use an adjustment layer.

Once you cut, you should not have to worry about how many little sections of video you have. You can always apply effects to the first one and then copy the effects to all of the rest in one step.

What is it exactly that is causing you grief?

• 7. Re: Possible to skip part of a clip without cutting it?
                      dcmurrayblank Level 1

ok. thanks for your replies.

i understood when asking the question that this might not be possible; worth checking with those who know.

@cfg_2451: thanks for your thorough answer. i will look at the downsides of using the razor too much in my workflow and will use I/O points instead.

• 8. Re: Possible to skip part of a clip without cutting it?
                        lmenningen Level 1

The "correct" answer is YES, you absolutely CAN "avoid cutting the single clip into numerous smaller ones..." Actually, what you are doing when you make cuts is skipping over those frames in the clip, just as you wished for, and you can't not do this! It does this because your "cuts" are simply pointers to frames that refer to the original clip.

Other responses saying "no" seem to ignore the false presupposition of the original question or at least failed to correct its error, which worried that entering cuts on a clip in a sequence somehow actually cut the clip. They don't.

So YES you can tweak the "skipped cut" portions to your hearts content, and likewise you can insert the same clip onto the same timeline miltiple times to either the same track or different tracks.

When you make so-called cuts you are merely entering pointers to the respective frames - nothing is actually being cut. This is why you can drag the clip edges left and right so easily to adjust the position of the cut, since all you are doing is to adjust the frame counter that the clip edge poine points to, and that is  how the rolling-edit tool can work so easily.

By the way, a Project file contains only names, links, and pointers - there is no actual video file content resident in the project file.

• 9. Re: Possible to skip part of a clip without cutting it?
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          Other responses saying "no" seem to ignore the false presupposition of the original question or at least failed to correct its error, which worried that entering cuts on a clip in a sequence somehow actually cut the clip. They don't.

Actually, your answer presupposes the question was asking about the file on the hard drive.  That was neither stated nor implied.

The correct answer is no, you can't use only parts of a clip and still keep it as one long clip in the sequence.

• 10. Re: Possible to skip part of a clip without cutting it?
                            Stephen_Spider Level 3

Don't get all semantic here. We tried to give a simple answer to the question posed, not parse it into a new question. I don't see how that helps.

• 11. Re: Possible to skip part of a clip without cutting it?
                              Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Not to be argumentative, but sometimes it is difficult to understand the exact question that the OP is trying to ask. Sometimes they don't have the right words. I find a little joy being the one to figure out the actual question before anyone else now and then. It's kind of fun.

In this case, I believe that dcmurrayblank did a wonderful job of asking the question. Unfortunately the answer was "no". My response indicated that I thought that the concept of hiding portions of the clip had merit, but that it just wasn't available in any known software. It might be cool if a ripple delete could be turned into a "hide" (using a modifier like Alt or Shift) so that the clip could still be treated as one solid clip for the purposes of adding effects or moving it around on the sequence. But it is not possible at this time, in this software.

I believe that Jim is correct. The question was about the sequence, not the file. I don't fault lmenningen, however. The way that lmenningen's answer was phrased was a little aggressive, but certainly was meant to help answer the question as lmenningen understood it.

As for semantics, sometimes the root question, and therefore the root answer, can be tied up in semantics. There are language barriers that often have to be dealt with, as well as social issues, and as I found out recently in another thread on these forums, financial differences.

So, while Jim and I could both be wrong and lmenningen right, I would be quite surprised if that were the case. However, if we were wrong, the discussion that took place might very well have benefited dcmurrayblank, and maybe many other people over the next few years who might have had the same question.

We want to avoid arguments, so we should be careful in our phrasing, but we should never fail to try to help people just to avoid an argument. Just my opinion, for what it is worth.

-- Steven