9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2012 8:52 PM by sudarshan.t

Problem with RAW to JPEG conversion

Phlip1982

Hello everyone,

I have recently switched to shoot my photos in RAW format. I do the usual adjustments in Camera Raw and the hit "Open Image". Next is that I save my image as JPEG with the Maximum Quality. Once I look at my saved JPEG file though I find that most of them have a lot of noise and seem not to reflect any adjustments that I did to the RAW file. What am I doing wrong?

• 1. Re: Problem with RAW to JPEG conversion
          jgrummel Adobe Employee

Hello Philip!

Welcome to the forums! I'm sorry to hear you're having this issue. I'm not entirely sure the cause of this problem. However, have you tried saving the image without opening in Photoshop? You can do this by clicking the "Save Image" button in the bottom right corner.

Screen Shot 2012-09-29 at 10.21.54 PM.png

Also, how are you viewing your image after you save it? It is in a preview program, or in Photoshop itself?

Hope this helps!

Julia

• 2. Re: Problem with RAW to JPEG conversion
            sudarshan.t Level 6

Hello there,

When you open your RAW image, make your adjustments, Open Image in PS, do you see the changes reflecting then? Photoshop will save whatever is open into your JPG file. If you say that your JPG file is not reflecting the changes you made to RAW, maybe when you click 'Open Image', they shouldn't reflect too.

• 3. Re: Problem with RAW to JPEG conversion
              Phlip1982 Level 1

Hi Julia,

Thanks for the advise. I am going to try this out. I ahve found out so far that my color management might have been part of the problem. But what is happening now is that some of the RAW files that I save as JPEG look 100% the same in both versions. But others have noticable more noise in the JPEG than in the RAW file. For my feeling it might have to do with the Elements Organizer where I look at them.

Best regards

Philipp

• 4. Re: Problem with RAW to JPEG conversion
                sudarshan.t Level 6

Color management has nothing to do with the noise induced in your pictures. Yes, maybe the vibrance and detailing should be impacting because of color management though.

What processing are you doing with your RAW before saving as JPEG? Some adjustments in RAW induce noise in your output JPEG.

• 5. Re: Problem with RAW to JPEG conversion
                  Phlip1982 Level 1

I'll typically do these adjustments in Camera RAW: White Balance, Exposure, Recovery, Fill Light, Blacks, Brightness, Contrast, Clarity, Vibrance. As to Sharpening I typically leave the default settings (Amount 25, Radius 1, Detail 25, Masking 0).

In the JPEG that I noticed my problem the most was actually a picture where I did adjustments in Camrea RAW to the RAW file itself before I converted it into JPEG. So might that be the problem?

• 6. Re: Problem with RAW to JPEG conversion
                    sudarshan.t Level 6

No. That is ruled out.

A RAW file can be processed in ACR (Adobe Camera RAW) before being opened in PS and made into a JPEG. This is a standard workflow for most people who shoot RAW (including me).

Can you post your image (before -RAW & after - JPEG) along with the 'Adjustments' panel screenshot before & after here so we could take a look?

• 7. Re: Problem with RAW to JPEG conversion
                      Phlip1982 Level 1

This is the adjustments in "Basic" and "Detail" including the "Before RAW"

Basic.jpg

Detail.jpg

After that I hit "Open Image" and then saved it without further adjustments as JPEG, Quality 10. The result of the JPEG when I open it from the Photoshop Organizer is this which I find very noisy.

JPEG.jpg

The disturbing part though is, that the JPEG looks as follows when I search for the JEPG file itself and open it through Picasa viewer. It has way fewer image noise I think.

Picasa.jpg

• 8. Re: Problem with RAW to JPEG conversion
                        Phlip1982 Level 1

Sorry, I attached the incorrect "Picasa" photo. This is the correct one:

Picasa.jpg

• 9. Re: Problem with RAW to JPEG conversion
                          sudarshan.t Level 6

It is being induced with the 'Sharpening' value in your 'Detail' adjustment. It's workable, I'd say.

Try cutting down on the image sharpening. If you insist, you could leave the 'sharpening' the way it is and play with the 'Luminance' values. But, luminance will kill some detail. You can try to compensate for it with 'Color Detail' and 'Luminance Contrast'. End of the day, it's about you getting a picture that you're happy with. It's a choice you have to make.

Work with the 'Sharpening' and 'Luminance' values and see what you like.