9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2012 5:50 PM by Noel Carboni

Tested 7.2RC; I'm Dropping Back to 7.0

Noel Carboni Level 7

Since it came out I've been testing Camera Raw 7.2 RC.  Happily, it fixed the most egregious image quality bug I had been seeing in 7.1, which at the time caused me to drop back to 7.0.

With 7.2RC I was able to get *almost* as good results with Camera Raw 7.2 RC from my Canon EOS 40D images as I get with 7.0.  Color detail might have been a hair better in the new version, but on the flip side I was definitely seeing more moire color noise around edges.  Of the two, I slightly prefer less color noise around edges.

But what pushed me over the edge to drop back is this:

Camera Raw 7.2RC:

• Time from dragging a .CR2 file to see the preview of a raw image in Camera Raw with my defaults:  2.6 seconds.
      • Time from pressing [Open] to seeing the image in Photoshop:  6.4 seconds.

Camera Raw 7.0:

• Time from dragging a .CR2 file to see the preview of a raw image in Camera Raw with my defaults: 1.4 seconds.
      • Time from pressing [Open] to seeing the image in Photoshop: 3.0 seconds.

For those who might want to follow in my footsteps, dropping back is not trivial, unless you've planned ahead for it.  I have made a habit of squirreling away copies of each Camera Raw plug-in version, so that I can swap them out and test things.  Here's what my Camera Raw folders look like:

C:\TEMP>dir "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS6\File Formats"

Volume in drive C is C - NoelC4 SSD
      Volume Serial Number is 00ED-C11E

Directory of C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS6\File Formats

08/28/2012  12:13 AM    <DIR>          .
      08/28/2012  12:13 AM    <DIR>          ..
      02/09/2012  04:20 AM        20,904,304 Camera Raw.8bi
      02/09/2012  04:20 AM        20,904,304 Camera Raw.8bi_7.0
      05/16/2012  10:37 AM        22,285,208 Camera Raw.8bi_7.1
      04/25/2012  12:22 AM        21,053,808 Camera Raw.8bi_7.1RC
      08/28/2012  12:13 AM        21,364,416 Camera Raw.8bi_7.2RC

5 File(s)    106,512,040 bytes
                     2 Dir(s)  1,172,532,822,016 bytes free

C:\TEMP>dir "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS6\File Formats"

Volume in drive C is C - NoelC4 SSD
      Volume Serial Number is 00ED-C11E

Directory of C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS6\File Formats

08/28/2012  12:11 AM    <DIR>          .
      08/28/2012  12:11 AM    <DIR>          ..
      02/09/2012  05:02 AM        23,220,080 Camera Raw.8bi
      02/09/2012  05:02 AM        23,220,080 Camera Raw.8bi_7.0
      05/16/2012  11:05 AM        24,639,896 Camera Raw.8bi_7.1
      04/25/2012  01:25 AM        23,401,328 Camera Raw.8bi_7.1RC
      08/28/2012  12:11 AM        23,777,984 Camera Raw.8bi_7.2RC

5 File(s)    118,259,368 bytes
                     2 Dir(s)  1,172,532,822,016 bytes free

-Noel

• 1. Re: Tested 7.2RC; I'm Dropping Back to 7.0
          Noel Carboni Level 7

Interestingly, the speed of interactively opening an individual image in the 7.2 release code seems to be back up to near the same performance levels as 7.0.

Camera Raw 7.2:

• Time from dragging a .CR2 file to see the preview of a raw image in Camera Raw with my defaults: 2.0 seconds.
          • Time from pressing [Open] to seeing the image in Photoshop: 3.2 seconds.

I find this strange, because for opening one image this is nearly as speedy as 7.0, yet when I tested conversion of a block of 50 photos I found converting multiple files to be as slow as or slower than the 7.2RC.

-Noel

• 2. Re: Tested 7.2RC; I'm Dropping Back to 7.0
            Hudechrome Level 2

I just installed the current upgrade and the opening time from ACR to PS is also under 4 sec.

Refreshing, what was the most "egregious image quality bug" about 7.1?

• 3. Re: Tested 7.2RC; I'm Dropping Back to 7.0
              Noel Carboni Level 7

Hudechrome wrote:

Refreshing, what was the most "egregious image quality bug" about 7.1?

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4450716#4450716

--

Regarding dropping back to 7.0:

Even though 7.2 is now faster to open an individual image, I've already judged that I still prefer the edge handling still from version 7.0, where I could select "Defringe: All Edges", so I have dropped back again.  Sigh.  This strategy will work for now, but if I should get a new camera or when Photoshop CS7 comes out I'm basically going to have to settle for reduced quality.

--

Regarding performance differences:

Looks like opening a single image now uses ALL my logical processors (including hyperthreaded ones) - it now busies all 24 during the open of a single image (but interestingly, only busies 13 or 14 of them when converting multiple images)..

That probably implies that if it were possible to get the (superior) conversion algorithms in 7.0 to use all 24 logical processors that the time to open an image in that version would be cut even more.  I guess Adobe must still be refining threading strategies from release to release.  I wonder if they're making it more complex based on feedback/telemetry from testing on customer systems.

Adobe:  If it helps, in my own development and testing I've found this general strategy to work best for multi-threading graphics intensive operations:  Use all the physical cores + half the additional logical processors provided by Hyperthreading.  If there are only physical cores and there are more than 2, subtract 1.

-Noel

• 4. Re: Tested 7.2RC; I'm Dropping Back to 7.0
                Hudechrome Level 2

Interesting, then, that 24 core are not faster on opening one image than 4.

So far as the edge effects, I assume you are using ACR for all the basic lens and noise corrections. Is there any specific correction which is problematic?

DxO actually suggests the same Core number -1 for optimum performance in batch processing.

Message was edited by: Hudechrome

• 5. Re: Tested 7.2RC; I'm Dropping Back to 7.0
                  Noel Carboni Level 7

You can't compare our times directly.  I probably have settings you don't - e.g., I open files to an upsampled size of 6144 x 4096 pixels, and don't I recall you're opening Nikon files - I'm opening Canon.  For example, if I reduce the size of my files to my Canon 40D's native 10.1 MP imager size - 3888 x 2592 pixels, the image opens in 1.6 seconds.  Thus the measurements I'm making are really only meaningful if settings are held constant on the same machine.

The "specific correction that is problematic" is that the "Defringe:  All Edges" setting, available in Camera Raw 7.0, is no longer available at all, having been replaced by a more complex Color Fringing set of controls that don't accomplish the same thing!

-Noel

• 6. Re: Tested 7.2RC; I'm Dropping Back to 7.0
                    Hudechrome Level 2

My nef's are 12.2MP; 4288x2848, opens in a tad over 3 sec, but less than 3.5 sec.

Set to 6144x4087, I get quite close but less than 4 sec..

I remember now about the Defringe, and agree that the later version isn't as useable. But then, I never use it after DxO, but I do use it for scans.

• 7. Re: Tested 7.2RC; I'm Dropping Back to 7.0
                      Noel Carboni Level 7

Do you dial in any lens corrections?  I do, by default.  Those could have an impact on the speed as well.

I just tried an image with all the "fancy stuff" turned off:  Controls all centered, no sharpening, no NR, at the camera's native pixel count, no profile-based corrections.

The image opens in the Camera Raw preview after having been dropped on Photoshop in 0.8 seconds, and opens into Photoshop in a mere 0.6 seconds.

The point is that all the "fancy stuff" costs processing time, and there are so many different parameters that I have tweaked in setting my defaults, as I'm sure you have, that there's no way to really compare.

But if you'd really like to compare apples to apples, try this:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4747312#4747312

-Noel

• 8. Re: Tested 7.2RC; I'm Dropping Back to 7.0
                        Hudechrome Level 2

No corrections for optics and noise. Just open the file in ACR then open in PS. I could locate an image that has many corrections like b&w, big shifts in overall settings (my Dramatic b&w settings), but it seems for me, that if 3 sec is ok for you loaded, 4 sec is ok for me with my usual load.

I'm groggy with this deadline and I see my client as IM'd me or whatever passes for IM here!

• 9. Re: Tested 7.2RC; I'm Dropping Back to 7.0
                          Noel Carboni Level 7

Figures.  I write up a whole procedure just for you since you can't help trying to compare your computer to mine and you get cold feet. 

-Noel