1 2 Previous Next 42 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2012 4:56 PM by Alex - DV411

Need Help picking out a machine

SK31987

I'm looking for a desktop or laptop that's great for storage and HD DSLR Video editing

and will run adobe creative suite flawlessly 

I edit in RAW files in Photoshop and lightroom

I also use Premiere, and After Effects open at the same time, jumping back and forth from each.

I currently edit with Canon7D footage

I also use over 10TB of storage and I'm looking to hook up 3 moniters soon

I'm not good when it comes to computer specs

I'm leaning more towards a laptop for portablitility

I know desktops are better cuz they're faster but at what point should I care about speed?

I'm thinking I should only worry about it unless I was editing with RED

These are the laptops I've found so far, haven't started my search for desktop yet

Which one of these laptop have desktop level peformance? and what specs should I select?

I want something that will be easy to upgrade later on

I plan to upgrade to CS6 and I read that users are reporting a minimum of 32GB memory is needed for best performance.

I don't want to give a budget because budget should not be the deciding factor in determining what I need.

I plan to edit multi cam projects down the road

I want a machine that could handle ANYTHING a client might toss at me.

I need something that's good to go right out of the box.

Please reccomend to me what I should get

Would it be better I get one custom built from a company like Sager?

If so please select the specs for me since I'm not a hardware guy.

1. Dell M6700

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/precision-m6700/pd

2. SAGER NP9170

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np9170-gaming-laptop-clevo-p170em-p-4342.html

3. Dell XPS 15

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-15-l521x/pd

4. Samsung Series 7 Gamer NP700G7C-S01US

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Series-NP700G7C-S01US-17-3-Inch-Laptop/dp/B006MX0WHU

5. ASUS G75VW-TS71

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2355975&CatId=4 935

6. Toshiba Qosmio

http://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops/qosmio/

7. P170EM - CLEVO

http://www.clevo.com.tw/en/products/prodinfo.asp?productid=383

• 1. Re: Need Help picking out a machine
          Alex - DV411 Level 2

Add Lenovo W530 and Y580 to the list of CS6-compatible laptops.

For desktop-like performance, you probably do need to look at custom notebook builders like Sager although some Alienware models, Dell M6000 series and HP EliteBook 8770w are up there as well.

• 2. Re: Need Help picking out a machine
            lasvideo Level 4

Consider calling Eric Bowen at ADK. Hes  a very helpful, knowledgeable guy who is a wiz at helping folks pick just the right computer for their editing needs. He frequents this site a lot.

Support: 859-635-5762.

• 3. Re: Need Help picking out a machine
              SK31987 Level 1

I'm assuming he would only help if I purchased through him I would buy from ADK but the 1yr warranty is steering me clear

• 4. Re: Need Help picking out a machine
                SK31987 Level 1

Thanks now I just need to figure out what specs to select

• 5. Re: Need Help picking out a machine
                  lasvideo Level 4

You are missing an enlightening experience if you dont just call to chat. Just talking commits you to nothing. Ive been in the biz for 30 years and I learn something new everytime I talk to Eric.

• 6. Re: Need Help picking out a machine
                    Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

All you have to do is ask for and pay for the 3 year warranty

• 7. Re: Need Help picking out a machine
                      Alex - DV411 Level 2

While the "talk to Eric" advice may seem condescending, it's actually a sound advice.  A little more generally, it's a "talk to a pro" advice, and because Eric carries a lot of weight around here, it does make sense.

The specs depend on the budget, what you want to do (specifics of your workflow), how future-proof you want your new system to be.  No simple or single answer.  In that respect, it does make sense to chat to someone experienced in both various editing workflows, and associated optimal system configurations. By asking targeted questions (file formats, timeline complexity, storage requirements, budgetary constraints, etc.), the pro will quickly get an idea of what will work for your workflow and your budget.

Of course, Eric sells things (much like I do), and is less likely to cover brand name systems from HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc.- because he doesn't sell them.  I am fairly familiar with those and will be happy to help zero down on the right configuration for you.

If you prefer to get advice here, rather than "talk to a pro", you'd want to tell us more about the workflow specifics, and how future proof you want your system to be.

HTH

• 8. Re: Need Help picking out a machine
                        Alex - DV411 Level 2

Lenovo W530

- Intel Core i7-3820QM Processor (8M Cache, up to 3.70 GHz)

- Windows 7 Professional (64 bit)

- 15.6" FHD 1920x1080 LED Display

- NVIDIA Quadro K2000M Graphics 2GB

- 4GB DDR3 1600MHz (1 DIMM)

- 720p HD Camera with Microphone

- 500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm

- 16GB mSATA Solid State Cache Drive

- DVD Recordable

- 3YR Onsite Next Business Day + Accidental Damage Protection

...is $1,990.95

Same with 16GB memory (4 DIMMs, from Lenovo) - $2,398.95

Same with 32GB memory (4 DIMMs, from Lenovo) - $2,942.95 (upgrading from 4GB to 32GB is $1,120 from Lenovo - expensive!)

Consider 3rd party memory: using 8GB from Kingston (p/n KTL-TP3C/8G, about $40 ea), will cost you $160 to upgrade to 32GB RAM. So:

Same with 32GB memory (4 DIMMs, 3rd party) - $2,150.95

Finally, upgrading the CPU from Core i7-3820QM to Core i7-3920XM Extreme Edition (not sure it's worth it) - $550 extra.

Does this help?

• 9. Re: Need Help picking out a machine
                          SK31987 Level 1

Hello I would very much like to talk to a pro but I figured I wouldn't waste their time if I wasn't going to purchase anything from them but I will definately give it a shot.

I don't know the specifics of my workflow becuase I just got hired to work for a company to do video editing I was working for myself doing small projects. becuase I don't know specifically what formats I'll be working with I figured I would just get a system that can handle anything that comes my way.

• 10. Re: Need Help picking out a machine
                            SK31987 Level 1

Thanks for posting I was going through the specs and the Lenovo site asked me to choose between this, which should I choose?

1.Internal RAID - Not Enabled

2. Internal RAID - Configured by Lenovo

Can you tell me why you choose Lenovo W530 out of all the other machines above.  Do you have experience with this machine, Is Lenovo a company you reccomend.

• 11. Re: Need Help picking out a machine
                              SK31987 Level 1

These are the specs I chose so far Total $3,135.16

Would appreciate any advice?

I will have microcenter install me 4 DIMMs 8GB from Kingston

Description

ThinkPad W530 - 1 Year Depot Warranty
                              Processor:Intel Core i7-3820QM Processor (8M Cache, up to 3.70 GHz)
                              Operating system:Windows 7 Professional (64 bit)
                              Operating system language:Windows 7 Professional 64 - English
                              Display type:15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) LED Backlit AntiGlare Display, Mobile Broadband Ready
                              System graphics:NVIDIA Quadro K2000M Graphics with 2GB DDR3 Memory
                              Total memory:4 GB DDR3 - 1600MHz (1 DIMM)
                              Keyboard:Keyboard Backlit - US English
                              Pointing device:UltraNav with Fingerprint Reader for Color Sensor, Smart Card Reader
                              Camera:720p HD Camera with Microphone
                              Hard drive:128GB Solid State Drive, SATA3
                              Optical device:2nd 500GB HDD, 7200rpm with Bay Adapter
                              System expansion slots:Express Card Slot & 4-in-1 Card Reader & Smart Card Reader
                              Battery:9 Cell Li-Ion TWL 70++
                              Power cord:170W Slim AC Adapter - US (2pin)
                              Bluetooth:Bluetooth 4.0 with Antenna
                              Integrated WiFi wireless LAN adapters:Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 AGN
                              Integrated mobile broadband:Qualcomm Gobi 3000
                              Selectable SIM:SIM Card for US AT&T
                              Language pack:Publication - US English

Accessories and options:
                              4YR Onsite Next Business Day + Accidental Damage Protection
                              ThinkPad Battery 28++ (9 Cell Slice - T410/20/30, T510/20/30, W510/20/30)
                              Mini Dock Plus Series 3 with USB 3.0 - 170W (US/Can/LA)
                              ThinkPad 15W Case Sleeve
                              Kensington Twin Head Cable Lock from Lenovo
                              Mini-DisplayPort/VGA Monitor Cable

• 12. Re: Need Help picking out a machine
                                Alex - DV411 Level 2

Can you tell me why you choose Lenovo W530 out of all the other machines above.  Do you have experience with this machine, Is Lenovo a company you reccomend.

Best price / performance ratio of all Tier 1 mobile workstation systems (vs. Dell M6700, HP EliteBook 8770w).

Have not used it myself - but seen other people using it for Pr CS6 editing - so far so good.

Normally Lenovo is not the company I recommend because it's wholly Chinese - unlike Dell or HP who aren't wholly Chinese, just manufacture everything in China.  (I am wary of buying things from a company under communists' control.)

Also, Lenovo support is spotty - some positives, some negatives.

That said, you won't find the same combo of CPU, GPU, warranty options or features for anywhere close to this price, unless you go a step lower - from Quadro K2000 to GeForce GTX chips.  So Lenovo it is.  HP and Dell need to work harder to compete with Lenovo.

• 13. Re: Need Help picking out a machine
                                  Alex - DV411 Level 2

I wouldn't use a 128GB SSD for a boot drive. I'd just be worried it'll fill up quick and I'd have to upgrade it.  CS6 is bulky, you might have others apps, and it's just easier to have a bigger boot driver than worry that it'll fill up.  So I'd use a 500GB 7200 rpm boot drive with an mSATA SSD caching option, and a 2nd drive if desired.

The next step is figuring out storage.  You can start with just the above config, and see if one secondary 500GB drive will be enough for editing. It likely won't and you will need to add external storage. I'd look at G-Tech, CineRAID, etc. USB 3.0 external drives with decent throughput.  Storage and backup / archiving is a whole separate topic.

• 14. Re: Need Help picking out a machine
                                    Scott Chichelli Level 3

Quadro is an absolute waste of your money...  i just s quick config on our site with a much better video card and 16 gig ram, 256 ssd and a 750 2nd drive...$600 less

and 17" not 15

scott

ADK

• 15. Re: Need Help picking out a machine
                                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>wouldn't use a 128GB SSD for a boot drive. I'd just be worried it'll fill up quick

As long as you keep all data files on a different drive, and you do what it says in http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1007934?tstart=0 to direct Adobe temp files to a different drive, there is not much danger of filling up the drive

My boot drive (not SSD) uses under 60Gig for Win7 & CS5 Master Collection & MS Office & several small programs, with my Windows paging/swap file directed to another drive... Search Microsoft to find out how to redirect your Windows paging swap file http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

• 16. Re: Need Help picking out a machine
                                        Scott Chichelli Level 3

if you are going to do an OS SSD then a 256 is recommended so you can use it sa your swap file... one of the few benefits of an SSD for Adobe albeit slight..

• 17. Re: Need Help picking out a machine
                                          Alex - DV411 Level 2

Scott Chichelli wrote:

Quadro is an absolute waste of your money...

Not for AE, not for 10-bit color is PS, and who knows, maybe Maya or 3DS Max in the future?

See, if I call something like, say, a Lotus Elise "an absolute waste of your money" compared to a used souped up Miata, for the purpose of autocrossing, I'd come out as both arrogant and ignorant in certain circles. Learned the hard way.

(And sorry Scott but before calling any product "an absolute waste of your money", you probably want to substantiate it a bit beyond just referring to Pr (PPBM or your own) benchmarks.  There are other things besides Pr that may use Quadro K-series capabilities (10-bit color over DP? Faster OpenGL?).  I mean, if you want to be considered a professional.... )

• 18. Re: Need Help picking out a machine
                                            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Alex, how do you see where 10-bit color is useful on a laptop?

• 19. Re: Need Help picking out a machine
                                              Alex - DV411 Level 2

Alex, how do you see where 10-bit color is useful on a laptop?

I mentioned that in my previous post:

10-bit color over DP

Connect a 10-bit monitor to W530's MiniDP, calibrate, and Bob's your uncle. (W530 panel is not 10-bit, unlike HP DreamColor EliteBooks.)

• 20. Re: Need Help picking out a machine
                                                Scott Chichelli Level 3

So lets see you’re going to do heavy 3D animation on a laptop? Not likely.

Connect to a 10 bit color correcting monitor from a laptop? Possible but highly odd work flow

The idea of a laptop for someone who does animation or needs 10 bit color would only be one of temporary portability..

Come back to the studio and move to a real workstation.. I don’t see someone needed 10bit on a laptop if so you would be the first.

Add to that, the spec on the Quadro 2000 is so poor past the 10 bit color it would be USELESS for any animation and would perform pathetically for Pr/AE

So yes I stand by my comments.

If going for a higher end laptop you would want a 670/675 not a quadro… and save a good deal of money..

i dont normally toot my own horn but had to answer this

""Best price / performance ratio of all Tier 1 mobile workstation systems (vs. Dell M6700, HP EliteBook 8770w"""

Scott

ADK

• 21. Re: Need Help picking out a machine
                                                  Alex - DV411 Level 2

Scott,

1. Do you see the difference between calling something  "an absolute waste of your money" and you personally not seeing something, like:

"I don’t see someone needed 10bit on a laptop if so you would be the first."

If you don't, I rest my case.  (A modicum of common sense would generally prevent people from making blank statements based on a rather narrow personal opinion.)

2. As far as someone needing to do animation or 10-bit color on a laptop, Google is your friend. So are After Effects forums.

3. It's Quadro K2000m, not 2000.

4. With all due respect to the great work ADK is doing, ADK is not a Tier 1 computer manufacturer with national and/or worldwide support network.

• 22. Re: Need Help picking out a machine
                                                    ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

I wont get into the other debate however I will comment on your last point.

Just this morning I was supporting a a client from a Musical Academy in Norway setting up our systems in the Georgia Republic. I remote into clients systems out of EU, Israel, and South America all the time besides online chat for support. I wont even get into the national scope. The point is there is no limit worldwide to our support or any other company's if they use the right tools with the right people. The Tier 1 Computer manufacturers referenced also have the tier 1 entry support that drives so many clients to companies like ours because reading instructions from books rarely resolves most problems.

Eric

ADK

• 23. Re: Need Help picking out a machine
                                                      Alex - DV411 Level 2

Eric,

I am in the same boat you are (custom integrator) and serve the same "great support" line you do, with customers from Okinawa to Kuwait; to some of them we've actually flown to do on-site installation and training (US Air Force contract requirement).  We do offer support we believe to be superior to Tier 1 vendors, with a few notable exceptions.  I wonder why you'd omit them - as I am sure they're well known to you.

Neither ADK nor most other custom integrators are able to offer nation-wide or worldwide on-site warranty in its accepted North American English definition of "on-site warranty": service performed in person on-site.

(Sure you can tell me nobody needs it and if they do you can cover FedEx - feed that to a frustrated technician sitting in front of a dead system who needs that system up and running today or at the very least tomorrow, and for whom a loaner or replacement system won't work for a variety of reasons.)

Bottom line, ADK clearly has a great customer base, following, respect on this forum and elsewhere for the great work they are doing.

That doesn't mean Tier 1 models like HP Z-series don't have a similar well merited following due to quite tangible benefits of those platforms.  Worldwide support network is one of them, and no, the term "worldwide" doesn't mean remote support from my shop.

P.S. Eric, just to be sure: I wan't knocking your company down in any way.  I've actually been sending people your way.  There is no doubt in my mind that you are able to support your customers exceptionally well.  I see your participation on this forum, and testimonies from a variety of professionals - both clearly indicating ADK does a fantastic job and the praise is well deserved.  My whole point was to do a little fact checking before saying things such as "Quadro is an absolute waste of money", for there could be legit reasons for it not to be.  I hope this makes sense.

• 24. Re: Need Help picking out a machine

I understand your points completely. However keep in mind that critical hardware failure is far less frequent than user experience issues. The current hardware failure rate in the market is highest with HDD's at 3 to 5%. CPU failure rate is measured in the hundredths or thousandths of a percent. The other components fall in between. So that means a super majority of support calls are based on user experience. Onsight support is only a benefit if the correct problem is identified and resolution put in place. With all of this entered in the equation professional, experienced, knowledgeable support is required more than 90% of the time versus onsight repair. That is where companies such as yours can thrive and why even government entities as you already deal with come to your company. Finding someone to install a component is easy. Finding someone who knows when the component is really the problem is much more difficult.

Eric

ADK

• 25. Re: Need Help picking out a machine
                                                          Alex - DV411 Level 2

Agreed; application-specific support and systems integration matter the most to the majority of our clients.  The hardest part is monetizing it, as computers are becoming mere appliances.

• 26. Re: Need Help picking out a machine
                                                            SK31987 Level 1

I appreciate all the responses I finnally picked out a PC I want

http://shopping1.hp.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/WW-USSMBPublicStore-Site/en_US/-/USD /ViewStandardCatalog-Browse?CatalogCategoryID=cnEQ7haceUwAAAE2AQ9ObE8C&jumpid=re_r11260_sh op_atlas_psg_wscpm_z820_products_preconfig/shopnow_z820

I just need to know which one to select please someone pick the specs for me I have no clue on what to select.

• 27. Re: Need Help picking out a machine
                                                              Alex - DV411 Level 2

SK,

Do you have a (budget) number?  There are several "sweet spot" Z820 configs to pick from, that are , i.e. best value for the money.  B2C03UT ($2,249), B2C10UT ($4,999) and B2C08UT ($4,299) are the most popular base "smartbuy" configs.  Add a 2nd CPU where needed, memory, storage, other accessories.  An optimized configuration with B2C03UT is around $5K if you buy it direct from HP; a little bit less than that - from us (with 3rd party media drives and memory; HP's will be more expensive):

• HP Z820 Workstation

• 1 Intel Xeon E5-2630 2.30GHz 6C 15MB 1333

• 32GB RAM ECC

• 500GB System Drive

• DVD Writer

• Quadro 4000 2GB Graphics

• 4TB Video Storage

• HP 3/3/3 standard warranty

Based on B2C08UT: $11K

• HP Z820 Workstation

• 2 Intel Xeon E5-2670 2.6GHz 20MB 8C 1600

• 64GB RAM ECC

• 500GB System Drive

• Blu-ray Writer, DVD Writer

• 12TB Internal Video Storage RAID0

Based on B2C10UT: $9.7K

• HP Z820 Workstation

• 2 Intel Xeon E5-2650 2.0GHz 20MB 8C 1600

• 64GB RAM ECC

• 500GB System Drive

• Blu-ray Writer, DVD Writer

• 12TB Internal Video Storage RAID0

Things you still may need / want to add:

• Video I/O for capture, output and monitoring

• Display Monitor(s) such as HP ZR2740w 27" 2560x1440

• Speakers (audio monitors)

If you want even faster CPUs (2690, 2687W), the only way to get them is through CTO (Configure-to-order, model LJ452AV).  A topped out configuration (two E5-2687W CPUs, 256GB 1600MHz RAM, 256GB boot SSD, 12TB internal media storage, Quadro K5000 - is $21,306.  Dual ZR2740w 27" 2560x1440 monitors - $1,428 extra.

Configured the same but with an Intel 520-series 480GB boot SSD and ATTO R644 RAID HBA - $20K (from us).

If you can give me desired specs and/or an approximate budget number (e.g. $5-7K, $7-10K, $10-15K), I'll be happy to configure an optimized setup for you.

• 28. Re: Need Help picking out a machine
                                                                SK31987 Level 1

Thank you so much for your time

I would really like not to spend more than 4,000

I will spend up to 5K if that's best for me to do

I can't name what specs I desire becuase I don't know anything about computer specs

what I'm looking for I posted up top

Thank You Harm for your thread desktop vs Laptop as that really put things in persepctive for me which made me ultimately want a desktop and later on I plan to get a laptop to use for everything else

• 29. Re: Need Help picking out a machine
                                                                  Alex - DV411 Level 2

In that case:

• HP Z820 B2C03UT (1 Intel E5-2630, 500GB System Drive, no graphics) - $2,249
                                                                  • HP Z800 PCI 2nd Front Fan Kit [FX614AA] - $40
                                                                  • 32GB RAM (4x 8GB ECC reg) - about $320
                                                                  • GTX-670 - about $400 (or Q4K - $720)
                                                                  • 9TB internal media storage (3x 3TB HGST Ultrastar 7K4000) - about $1.1K ($350 ea)

Total - about 4.1K, with plenty of space to add more memory, power (2nd CPU), I/O cards.

The same config but with two 2TB 7K4000 Ultrastars (5 year warranty, 2m hrs MTBF) - $3.6K.  Yay, we're under your budget!

• 30. Re: Need Help picking out a machine
                                                                    SK31987 Level 1

Thank You I truly appreciate ypur help

I have feeling this is a stupid question but when I click on the link

http://shopping1.hp.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/WW-USSMBPublicStore-Site/en_US/-/USD /ViewStandardCatalog-Browse?CatalogCategoryID=cnEQ7haceUwAAAE2AQ9ObE8C&jumpid=re_r11260_sh op_atlas_psg_wscpm_z820_products_preconfig/shopnow_z820

which workstation do I

click

"add to cart"

so that I can begin to select the specs you reccomeneded

Also is this machine good to go for me right out of the box or do I have to go to microcenter/best buy to install additonal hardware such as memory?

• 31. Re: Need Help picking out a machine
                                                                      Scott Chichelli Level 3

i have to say there isnt a single system on that page i would buy, they are over priced, underperforming and lack much of whats needed for Adobe.

the processors are extremely slow other than the very first one thats only a quad core but at least it has the right GHz...

trying to do the customize one i cant even add enought hard drives or request raid arrays.. (2 HDDs max what kind of workstation is that?)

horrid video card options.. you would have to buy the cheapest one then toss it out and buy a 670. or buy a quadro 4000 which is as i said over priced and underperforming.. as 99% of the people in here will tell you.

the Z420 is more configurable but suffers the same issues.. you will up into 6K plus actually i take that back .. still only 2 HDDs...???

compared to like $3800 for a custom built system thats vastly faster and has 2 sets raid 0.... ::::sigh:::

Scott

ADK

• 32. Re: Need Help picking out a machine
                                                                        Alex - DV411 Level 2

2 HDDs max what kind of workstation is that?

Scott,

Z820 takes up to six 3.5" HDDs.  Two available optical bays (out of three total) allow two 2.5" HDDs in each using HP mounting brackets; four using 3rd party ones.  So the total number of internal drives can be eight: four LFF, four SFF.

HP configurator generally allows to configure five.  The mobo has 14 (six SATA, eight SAS 6G) ports on it.  Inexpensive kits are available to turn these SAS ports in external MiniSAS connectors.

The Z420 is also more expandable than you allege.

I'd much appreciate some fact checking before posting, especially given that you represent a well-respected company.

• 33. Re: Need Help picking out a machine
                                                                          Alex - DV411 Level 2

SK31987 wrote:

Thank You I truly appreciate ypur help

I have feeling this is a stupid question but when I click on the link

Also is this machine good to go for me right out of the box or do I have to go to microcenter/best buy to install additonal hardware such as memory?

SK, you are not the only one - HP online configuration options are OK for a CTO (Configure To Order) system, but can be very confusing with "smartbuys".

If you need a fully configured ready-to-go system out of the box, buy it from an integrator specializing in HPs like us (DV411).  (I hope it's within forum rules to post a link given SK's difficulties and direct request for help - if not - I apologize in advance.)  Here is the link to the configuration that seems to be the best fit for you:

http://dv411.com/pez820263001e.html

If you absolutely need it to be under $4K, please send me your email address and contact info to ag at dv411 dot com, and I'll email you a quote.

Again - sorry if this violates any rules.

• 34. Re: Need Help picking out a machine

Scott made a valid point regarding the configuration options listed. None of the information on the website points to the HDD expandability you list for the Z820. Also the specs that are listed for the Z820 list only 4x 3.5 bays in the tower and there are no specs that list the Sata connectivity on the board. So based on the options HP's configurator gives, configuring the system ideally for editing from the manufacturer would not be possible and the pricing poor for the options you can configure.

Eric

ADK

• 35. Re: Need Help picking out a machine

Keep in mind, with a 4K budget you can configure an ideal X79 workstation that would outperform any Single Xeon system for the same price range. If you are going to look at Xeon then you need to raise your budget to account for 2X E5 CPU's to make it worth the investment. Otherwise you are paying more for less performance with Adobe.

Eric

ADK

• 36. Re: Need Help picking out a machine
                                                                                Jeff Bellune Level 6

[some posts deleted for content]

• 37. Re: Need Help picking out a machine
                                                                                  Alex - DV411 Level 2

It's common knowledge that the HP configurator is neither the best way to configure the thing, nor is a source of technical information.  It's merely one of the many ways to configure a Z820.  I think there are better and more price-sensitive ways to build a Z820.

HP and 3rd party resources pointing to expandability options:

Cheers,

Alex.

• 38. Re: Need Help picking out a machine
                                                                                    Kranexl1

In that case you need to do more research before you buy. Configurability and compatibility are your best friends. You MUST make sure that whatever system you choose can safely run the program you intend to install.

It also must also be able to be configured with whatever necessary peripherals you will need now or might need to install in the future. Even though most of the information you get here may not be wrong, it virtually all subjective. You need a machine that's right for you.

When you spend thousands of dollars, you need to be sure of what you're getting, and whether or not it will stand the test of time to suit your needs.

I don't follow desktops since I'm a laptop guy,  but of the ones you named only the Sagar and Clevo (cousins) are desktop replacement capable. The DELL however, will take you the farthest since its the most powerful laptop you can get. Not to mention its the only one of the group that offers 112% of the Adobe RGB standard--critical for accurate photography and video.

Only if you intend to do any 3D ray-tracing will you need a Quadro card. Otherwise, a lesser (and much less expensive) card will do.

• 39. Re: Need Help picking out a machine
                                                                                      Alex - DV411 Level 2

The DELL however, will take you the farthest since its the most powerful laptop you can get.

Which one do you have in mind, and what makes you think no other laptops match it in power?

Not to mention its the only one of the group that offers 112% of the Adobe RGB standard--critical for accurate photography and video.

HP has a line of laptops with DreamColor displays (they started making them before Dell actually); DisplayPort (and HDMI in some cases) allows to have a 10-bit path to wide gamut color accurate monitors.

1 2 Previous Next