1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 30, 2012 5:58 AM by BrianJ011980

Select Item in combobox/dropdown, fields get updated

BrianJ011980

Hello,

I have a dropdown. When a user makes a selection, I would like to query a database and then return the results to be dispayed in a form. Note, I don't want users to have to press a button, it should happen when an item is pressed. It sounds fairly simple but, because i'm new, i'm struggling.

I understand I need to create a 'change' handler, and then within this handler, I need to execute my service t get the data, but then when I try to access this data, nothing happens. Do I have to Bind something to the combobox? below is my code.

<s:ComboBox id="lcidComboBox" change="lcidComboBox_changeHandler(event)" labelField="name" selectedItem="{bills.locn}">

<s:AsyncListView list="{getLocationsResult.lastResult}"/>

</s:ComboBox>

protected function lcidComboBox_changeHandler(event:IndexChangeEvent):void

{

getLocationsResult.token = locationService.getLocations();

trace(locations.snam); <---this is not returning anything!! 

}

Cheers,

Brian

• 1. Re: Select Item in combobox/dropdown, fields get updated
          BrianJ011980 Level 1

OK, figured it out. I needed to include a Binding tag then in my call responder, the object is able to be called and I can acces its properties.

<fx:Binding source="lcidComboBox.selectedItem as Locations" destination="locations"/>

protected function lcidComboBox_changeHandler(event:IndexChangeEvent):void

{

getLocationsResult.token = locationService.getLocations();

snamTextInput.text = locations.snam;

cuidTextInput.text = locations.cuid;

}