5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2012 10:39 AM by yippikS

How to optimize exports for YouTube?

yippikS

Greetings! I am hoping someone can help me with a frustrating problem I'm having with Premier Pro CS5.5 and YouTube.  I've already tried YouTube support to try and fix it and am now about 95% certain that the problem is on my end, not theirs.

Also, please pardon what will quickly become clear is a lack of knowledge on my part; I'm a beginner when it comes to Premier.

So, the problem:

I am trying to create videos that will be optimized for viewing on YouTube, as this is the primary place in which they will be viewed.  The videos I'm uploading keep coming out squished.  Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwJEwZdQAic&feature=plcp

This page of YT hints says that videos should be uploaded with a 16:9 aspect ratio.  Ok, no problem, I've looked up on the 'net how to make sure Premier is set to do that.

Here are the settings I'm using when I create new projects (and if these are, in fact, not actually what I want, please feel free to enlighten me--as I said, I'm new to this):

settings.PNG

I'm thinking that the problem may be arising when I export my video? Here's a cap of that for you:

exportSettings.PNG

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, so I thought I'd ask the community for help.  Any thoughts are appreciated!

• 1. Re: How to optimize exports for YouTube?
          shooternz Level 6

You are Exporting ( Outputting)  your HD Sequence  as an SD Movie  (ie 16: 9 to 4:3)

Check the AME H264 Export Settings and see if there is a You Tube Preset.

Tip : When using the Export Application (AME) take a look at the Output Tab. to check that things look right.

• 2. Re: How to optimize exports for YouTube?
            josephs51576386 Level 3

Another issue besides the aspect ratio is that you're ouputting to a interlaced format. Which for web viewing isn't a good idea. If web is the intended viewing place you want to use progressive field order settings. However please note this isn't what is causing the problem you've already noticed but it will cause your footage to look "jagged" among other issues.

I'd also recommend exporting to something other than Microsoft AVI for you-tube videos. I'd recommend using h.264 because this way you can just use Premiere's built in you-tube settings. Since you're not used to doing this yet.

The other idea I'd recommend is outputting your video at the highest resolution possible. In the screen shot you posted you're lowering the resolution. For you-tube content I generally always like using 1280x720 for my resolution settings. For shorter clips I sometimes use 1080, but since you're using HDV sequence settings I'd recommend just exporting to 1280x720 since it's not going to be 1920x1080 anyways.

• 3. Re: How to optimize exports for YouTube?
              lasvideo Level 4

I export my 1920 x 1080 HD projects as Quicktime h.264 movies at the highest quality out of Premiere. Then I just upload it to You Tube and it recognizes  that its an HD file. I get great results this way. Here is a recent example. Please set the resolution to 1080p and make it full screen when you view it on You Tube. I assume you know where those controls are on the lower right of the frame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRIg6h-LIm0

• 4. Re: How to optimize exports for YouTube?
                Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I don't have CS5.5 - all I have is CS6. However, in CS6 there is a preset for YouTube in the H.264 settings. Works for me. I usually use Vimeo, but I have this example on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3RJ80VVAik&feature=g-upl

youtube setings.png

One interesting note. The Vimeo setting is for 5Mbps while the YouTube is for 8Mbps.

• 5. Re: How to optimize exports for YouTube?
                  yippikS Level 1

Booyah.

Thank you so much, folks! I knew it had to be something simple like that.  (Ok, I was hoping it would be something simple like that.)

Thanks again!