15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2012 11:19 AM by Ann Bens

Basic transition advice

mediafred Level 1

1. Which transition is best for placing between clips to show the passage of time?

2. Which transition is best to go from one location to another? Indoors to outdoors?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Basic transition advice
          shooternz Level 6

1. A clock wipe or a whizz pan.

2. Zoom or Linear wipe

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Basic transition advice
            Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I like a clock wipe for time passage also.

I kind of like to see the new location push the old one out of the way now and then. I prefer to push from left to right. Hoever, if there is movement in the frame, you should account for that.

Push is in the Slide folder.

Of course, these are really very subjective issues, and 10 people will have 11 opinions.

• 3. Re: Basic transition advice
              Jim_Simon Level 8

1. In American cinema, the dissolve is the standard in both cases, but only use very judiciously in the second case.  Much of the time a simple cut works perfectly fine.

• 4. Re: Basic transition advice
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I use a Cross-Dissolve for short time, or perhaps a minor change in location.

For longer time, or major change in location, I go with a Dip-to-Black.

So long as the scene is different enough, so as to not appear to be a jump cut, I use a Butt-Cut for very short changes in time, or perhaps an angle change in the same general location.

I normally need a very good reason to use a Transition, beyond those three, but have used a few - just depends on the footage, and the feeling that I want.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Basic transition advice
                  mediafred Level 1

1. Is there a way to click on a clip in the timeline and see a ghost like image of the clip of what it looked like prior to applying in and out points to it in the source monitor, so I can see how long it was previously?

2. Do you still images need handles to add transitions to them?

Thanks.

• 6. Re: Basic transition advice
                    Steven L. Gotz Level 5

1. With the CTI over the clip, just click on the clip and press the "F" key. That will put the clip in the Source Monitor at the exact same frame as the CTI on the timeline.  Other than that, there is no way to see where the clip would be if you have not trimmed it.

2. Stills do not need handles. The frames are repeated by definition. The only reaqson for frames on a video clip is to avoid repeated frames.

• 7. Re: Basic transition advice
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

I'm confused.

• 8. Re: Basic transition advice
                        Steven L. Gotz Level 5

OK Jim. I'll bite. What are you confused about?

I think mediafred wants to be able to click on a clip and see where the end of the clip would have been had he not trimmed it. I get it. Sort of. But putting it into the source monitor is as close as you can get because it would show the duration of the trimmed clip as well as the entire duration.

I have no idea why he wants to see that.

It's funny, but lately people don't want to cut, or change anything in the video, yet they claim to want to edit it. I am not confused. I get it. I just don't know why they want what they want.

• 9. Re: Basic transition advice
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

I thought you were answering the original questions.

In my defense though, your answers to the second set of questions show up as Correct right under the original questions.  Future readers are sure to be as confused as I was.

• 10. Re: Basic transition advice
                            Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Ah, I see now. OK. Hmm. Oh well. I have to admit I would like to get another plus or two after my name. But this one is confusing. I see that now.

• 11. Re: Basic transition advice
                              shooternz Level 6

You dont really want those pluses after your name Steven ....do you!

They are  actually "tombstones" and a symbol of a wasted life spent on Forums!

• 12. Re: Basic transition advice
                                Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I used to be a leading time waster here as evidenced by the number of posts I amassed prior to dropping out. But back then, we didn't have the "tombstones".

I think of them more like the marks down the sleeve of senior sergeants in the US Army. We had slanted ones on one side - indicated three years of service each, and smaller straight ones on the other sleeve, each indicating six months in a combat zone.

My years of service just sort of happened. Keep your nose clean and stay out of trouble. Those are like the number of posts. Just having a large number doesn't really say much other than you are a prolific poster. On the other hand, the MVP and pluses are like the combat marks. They have to be earned the hard way. In this case, it means the posts have to be helpful, and correct.

I am a little uncomfortable with a large number of posts and no pluses to speak of. Makes me look like my answers aren't useful. Over time, that will correct itself.

• 13. Re: Basic transition advice
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

They are  actually "tombstones" and a symbol of a wasted life spent on Forums!

Craig,

That was my "laugh aloud" moment this AM. Thanks for that.

Hunt

• 14. Re: Basic transition advice
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Steven,

I think of them more like the marks down the sleeve of senior sergeants in the US Army. We had slanted ones on one side - indicated three years of service each, and smaller straight ones on the other sleeve, each indicating six months in a combat zone.

OT alert - we had a Sargent-Major, whose sleeve hashes had to be rolled up, sort of like a scroll, as his sleeves were not long enough for either side, and the little "bars."

Hunt

• 15. Re: Basic transition advice
                                      Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Wow, 3 already spent.

Oh well still 6 out of 9 to go....