28 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2012 7:14 AM by sanpaw

Adobe Digital Editions installer won't launch

Vykan12

When I click on the .exe file, it won't launch. Therefore I can't even download the program!

• 1. Re: Adobe Digital Editions installer won't launch
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

We need info about your system. If it doesn't even launch, then something serious is afoot...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Adobe Digital Editions installer won't launch
            Vykan12 Level 1

Windows Vista Home Premium. Anything else you need to know?

• 3. Re: Adobe Digital Editions installer won't launch
              StopDancing

I'm having the same problem. After downloading the installer, it won't launch.

Running Windows Vista 32-bit, v. 6.0 with service pack 2.

• 4. Re: Adobe Digital Editions installer won't launch
                Jeff A Wright Adobe Employee

StopDancing and Vykan12 if you go to Event Viewer do you see any entries during the time of installation?  You can find more information on using the Event Viewer at Identify software conflicts | System log | Windows Vista - http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/identify-software-conflicts-system-log.html.

• 5. Re: Adobe Digital Editions installer won't launch
                  StopDancing Level 1

Jeff- No, no logs that I saw pertaining to or conflicting with the installation. I tried installing again, just to make sure. I'll try deleting the .exe and try reinstalling and rechecking the logs. I'll post if I find anything.

edit-

Okay, I redownloaded and tried to run the installer again. This was all that came up in the few minutes since then.

Information10/18/2012 8:05:29 PMService Control Manager Eventlog Provider7036None
                  Information10/18/2012 8:05:24 PMService Control Manager Eventlog Provider7036None
                  Information10/18/2012 8:05:24 PMDistributedCOM10029None
                  • 6. Re: Adobe Digital Editions installer won't launch
                    StopDancing Level 1

I think I fixed it. I had recently switched from Trend Micro to Avast! protection, but Trend was still installed on my machine (just turned off). I decided to finally go ahead and uninstall Trend. After I did, I was able to run the .exe and install ADE.

• 7. Re: Adobe Digital Editions installer won't launch
                      MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                      1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Adobe Digital Editions installer won't launch

Excellent thank you for the update StopDancing.  So far the only reported issues of failures to install Adobe Digital Editions 2.0 have been in our forums.  I do appreciate the Event Viewer information and the information about Avast is even more useful.

• 9. Re: Adobe Digital Editions installer won't launch
                          barbah206@gmail.com

I am having the same issues, same system etc, no errors in event log but still can not get install to open. any thing else I can try?

• 10. Re: Adobe Digital Editions installer won't launch
                            chesterr_mizik

Download and install 1.7.2 from the internet and see if you can get that to work.

Goodluck !

Chesterr

• 11. Re: Adobe Digital Editions installer won't launch
                              barbah206@gmail.com Level 1

The site I found that worked the easiest and fasted for download was at http://www.mediafire.com/?cm075hmug9nsju5

I was able to download 1.7.2 but since it was not available on the Adobe site where I could sign in to my account I can't download anything to it that I have already downloaded to my Andorid. Apparently unless ADE is downloaded through an Adobe account it will not allow downloads of epubs already sent to another device.

Thanks for your help but think I am giving up on this. I only needed it in the first place so I could read a book on my PC as well as Android that was purchased with gift card. I'll stick to my android app  and forget anymore BAM ebooks.

I do appreciate your quick response and help'

Thanks, Barb

• 12. Re: Adobe Digital Editions installer won't launch
                                YuvrajShinde071 Level 2

Hello,

I see that ADE 2.0 will not work mostly on Windows Vista OS, I suggest you to install ADE 1.7.2. But, in addition, I have seen few people have installed DE 2.0 on Vista OS..

If any workaround is available, pls share it....

Regards,

Yuvraj.

• 13. Re: Adobe Digital Editions installer won't launch

It does seem that Vista users primarily seem to be having difficulties installing Adobe Digital Editions 2.0.  Unfortunately there have not been enough details provided to determine why certain Vista users are having this difficulty.  Please see message #4 on how to identify the installation conflict.  If you can report the results to this thread it would help determine what might be causing the failure to install.

• 14. Re: Adobe Digital Editions installer won't launch

Thank you for your input. Part of the problem seems to be Books-A-Million's digital delivery requirements. It says I need to sign in to the programs with both Adobe and BAM account sign ins (and maybe even install and deliver in a certain order - instructions difficult) but neither the android nor PC program has the set up BAM says I should use. Both programs did an auto-authorization of that device.  I have sent a message to BAM customer service and if they give any help I will post it. I think BAM just has too much of a "firewall" (not sure what to call it) on their digital purchases. Barnes and Noble automatically delivers any purchase to all my devices immediately and with Kindle/Amazon I just need to do one click in each device to sync all digital purchases.

Thank you for your suggestion and if I find any way to get around the issue I will post it here but at this point B & N and Amazon are so much more user friendly I probably won’t bother with BAM & ADE any more even if I do find a solution.

I did do the check listed in #4 and there were no conflicts listed in the event log. Absolutely nothing happened when I tried to open the setup exe program. I uninstalled and re-downloaded the set up program several times from Adobe, signed in to my account, I double clicked the .exe from the download list and in Windows Explorer, I did a right click and tried to use 'open' and even tried to 'run as administrator'. It did not even try to open - it was like clicking on dead space.

I am running Windows Vista Service pack 2, have an Intel Premium(R) Dual CPU T2370 @1.73GHz, 2GB RAM, 32-bit os. I have much more hard drive space open than is listed as requied. Is all of this compatable with ADE 2.0?

• 15. Re: Adobe Digital Editions installer won't launch

see my reply to YuvrajShinde071  for more details. thanks

• 16. Re: Adobe Digital Editions installer won't launch
                                        Frustrated in AZ Level 4

Unfortunately, I think your view is a bit simplistic, and let me explain

why.

The digital publishing business has certain core requirements, codified in

the Digital Millenium Copyright Act of 2000.  There's quite a bit of leeway

in how to implement them, as you've found out.  B&N, KOBO, SONY, Amazon,

Apple and a couple of other biggies have different methods, and some are

proprietary, like Amazon's.

Adobe Digital Editions is designed to be independent.  It will process

several ebook formats and observes the digital rights management

requirements through the use of Adobe Content Server Manager software - an

industry standard.

With that said, some ebook sellers or distributors also rely on the

industry standards for digital rights implementation, and steer you to

Digital Editions as the 'processor'.  That's probably what Books-A-Million

is doing - it's easier and cheaper for them to do so rather than doing

their own thing.  Because they do doesn't mean that they've done it

'right', and that you won't run into some technical issues.  Unfortunately,

that's the nature of digital publishing.

So, if you decide to drop BAM and go somewhere else, that does not mean

you'll be 'rid' of ADE - it's going to depend where you go to get your

ebooks.  You could try a different software suite, such as Calibre,

Bluefire Reader or Overdrive.  And, as you've pointed out, you could go to

Amazon or B&N, who provide a 'seamless' experience - because you're captive

and will be using a proprietary ereader and format.  If you can live with

the limitations, then maybe it's best for you to do that.

It's not that the Adobe software is 'bad'.  It's much more of a question of

how well you tolerate the technology, and how well the various moving parts

fit together and work together.

And, on the technology side, most Android devices are not supported in the

Digital Editions world.  There are some software packages that run on

Android devices that do interface with Digital Editions - notably Aldiko

Reader.  More software = more technology.

Personally, I can see using a tablet to read ebooks, but why anyone would

use a phone to try to read a book is beyond me.

Hope this helps!

===========

On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 9:23 AM, barbah206@gmail.com <

• 17. Re: Adobe Digital Editions installer won't launch

I have serveral great e-reader programs both on my android and pc plus a Kindle to accommodate all the sources I download from.  I have books and readers on my phone because I am not always where I can pull out the reader device but do have a few minutes to read. It also makes it very easy to carry all books from all souces in one (light weight) place instead of having to carry around the Nook, the Kindle, etc.

Second I get books from several sources and have had no problems with any of them until BAM and ADE. I know each vender wants to have their own little niche and many will not load to other vender's reader or device. Fine I have no problem with that. Most books I have been interested in downloading digitally have been available from several sources so I choose by price and now user friendliness. None of the couple of hundred + other books I have bought so far have needed ADE.

BAM has sent me another approach to try but have not had time yet - getting set up for the storm. If it works I will post that as well.

• 18. Re: Adobe Digital Editions installer won't launch

BAM customer service sent this link and instructions -

As you seem to be experiencing problems downloading the program using the standard method, go to http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/403/kb403051/attachments/setup.exe and select ‘Run’ to manually install it.

Upon your initial launch of Digital Editions, you will be asked to authorize the program. To do so, enter an Adobe ID and password.

this link did open let me install ADE 2.0. I did not go directly to 'run' it downloaded the 'setup'exe' but that did open and run.

It still did not open authorization with Adobe login and password option and it still will not download the book. The message I get is "Error getting license License server communication problem: E_LIC_ALREADY_FULFILLED_BY_ANOTHER_USER"

but I understood I would be able to download a purchase to up to 6 devices. I have sent this info to BAM and will add any info that wolves the problem.

It may be that you have to download ADE first, then the book to that before adding to any other device. If so, too late for me with that.

Hope this helps someone else download ADE to Vista at least.

• 19. Re: Adobe Digital Editions installer won't launch
                                              Frustrated in AZ Level 4

The message you're getting tells you that the Adobe ID you used to

authorize 2.0 is not the one you used previously.

The conflict may be resolved - notice 'may' - by deauthorizing ADE 2.0

using the CNTLSHIFTD keys simultaneously, then closing ADE.  When you

reopen ADE, it will ask you to authorize it, and you can use the previous

ID.

Technology again, durn it!

==================

On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 2:02 PM, barbah206@gmail.com <

• 20. Re: Adobe Digital Editions installer won't launch

Thanks that did let me authorized with Adobe login but still won't accept the book.

Yup! Technology again, durn it! :-)

• 21. Re: Adobe Digital Editions installer won't launch
                                                  YuvrajShinde071 Level 2

Hello,

The error you're getting is "E_LIC_ALREADY_FULFILLED_BY_ANOTHER_USER", in this case you need to contact your ebook provider to reset the activation of ebooks. Once they're reset, try redownload the books and check if it works for you.  Also refer this document

http://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editions/kb/e-lic-already-fulfilled.html

• 22. Re: Adobe Digital Editions installer won't launch

Thanks. Already done and waiting for a reply.

• 23. Re: Adobe Digital Editions installer won't launch
                                                      Frustrated in AZ Level 4

This is close, but not quite correct.  The link also is not quite correct.

The problem I see is the use of the term 'activation'.

Digital Editions pairs the ebook ID information with the Adobe ID used when

it's downloaded and stores it internally.  There's no way that the ebook

provider can change the information stored internally in Digital Editions.

What I think is meant is that you can contact the ebook provider and ask

them to reset THEIR files so that you can download the ebook again -

presumably under the current Adobe ID.

===================

On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 8:03 PM, YuvrajShinde071

• 24. Re: Adobe Digital Editions installer won't launch
                                                        ville_ekman

SOLUTION:

I was able to install in Vista Home Edition like this:

Right-click installation file

Select 'Compatibility Mode' -> 'Run in compatibility mode' -> 'Windows XP (Service Pack 2)'

Tick 'Run as administrator'

Hit OK

Open the file by doucleclicking

• 25. Re: Adobe Digital Editions installer won't launch

digiapu,   ville_ekman  and

Frustrated in AZ,

Thank you for your info. At this point I have already been able to get Adobe 2.0 installed (see my previous post) but my issues are now with BAM's e-book not downloading. I have been in touch with them several times with no solution. I have responded back to them one last time and after that I am done. This has gone on since 10/27 and is not worth the time and effort especially since I can get the books I want from other sources with no issues with any other reader I have.

Thanks for your help.

• 26. Re: Adobe Digital Editions installer won't launch

My issues have now been resolved with help from here and BAM. After all was done I realized that there were a couple of steps I had to work out myself probably because to someone else it may have been an ‘auto-step’  and was not included in the information to me.

1. I was able to download 1.7.2  at http://www.mediafire.com/?cm075hmug9nsju5

You may be able to skip this step but I am including it since it is a step I did.

2. I downloaded the setup for 2.0 from the ADE page

3. I set the setup.exe for 'Compatibility Mode' 'Windows XP (Service Pack 2)' and then

to ‘run as administrator’ (right click over setup.exe  to do both – I worked from the Download file in Windows Explorer)

4. I opened the ADE setup.exe and it did then install. It gave the option to uninstall the older version on my computer. I ok’d that but then ADE 2.0 stopped working. I went into Control Panel and uninstalled 1.7.2 myself.

5 ADE 2.0 then opened.

6. These are the instructions I received from BAM  help.

“Open Digital Editions (2.0) on your pc. (if already authorized do this next step) - While you are in the Library view, press control+shift+D to deauthorize Digital Editions. Click 'Help', then 'Authorize Computer'. Select Books-A-Million from the drop down box instead of AdobeID, then enter the e-mail address (login and password) that your BAM account is tied to in the Vendor ID”

7. The book downloaded fine this time.

Thanks to everyone for all the help. 

1 person found this helpful
                                                            • 27. Re: Adobe Digital Editions installer won't launch

We now have a document with a workaround available to allow Adobe Digital Editions 2.0 to be installed in Windows Vista.  Please see Installing Adobe Digital Editions 2.0 in Windows Vista - http://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editions/kb/installing-digital-editions-20-windows.html for more details.

• 28. Re: Adobe Digital Editions installer won't launch
                                                                sanpaw

Great...it worked. Thanks.