1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 30, 2012 8:57 PM by Rick Gerard

Time Ruler Question...I think

Odin Musamune

I'm new to After Effects. I've tried to figure this out on my own, but figured Id try asking online. When I want to move my movie forward via Next Frame, I have to move forwards 4 frames before the image actually moves. I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but when I've seen other people tut videos, and they only seem to have to click Next Frame once. Maybe It has to do with my Time Ruler, I don't know. Again, a huge noob I am to AE. Some non condescending advice would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Time Ruler Question...I think
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If your composition frame rate matches your footage frame rate then moving one frame in the timeline (page down key) moves one frame. If you footage is say 29.97fps (normal ntsc video) but your comp is 60 (or 59.95) then moving the CTI (current time indicator) forward two frames advances to the next frame of the video in the composition.

If that's not what you're seeing please tell us all about your composition settings and your footage.

One more thing. Say you're animating position or rotation of a layer. In this case, it doesn't matter what frame rate the composition is. Move one frame in the time line and you move one frame.

I just had another thought. Maybe you are looking at timecode instead of frames in the Time Display. If the display is set to time code instead of frames and you advance a single frame in a comp that is 60 fps then the timecode will not advance by a frame number until you move 2.

Since you said you have to move 4 frames before the image actually moves I suspect that the comp frame rate does not match the footage frame rate.