11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2012 10:19 PM by the_wine_snob

Won't PE10 import camcorder footage as .mov on my Mac?

Jerry Mann Level 1

I am on an Intel Core Duo iMac, using the current version of Premier Elements 10. I have imported footage for a project from my CanonHV20 camcorder. I was surprised to see the footage come in as .mpeg files. I would prefer .mov files because they are viewable in the Finder as thumbnails, and also Adobe Lightroom can view .mov files, but not .mpeg. This would help me with managing my files.

I saw on a video tutorial that PE9 will import .avi for PCs and .mov for Macs. Has this changed for PE10? Is there a way to change what file format it imports?

Thank you,

Jerry

• 1. Re: Won't PE10 import camcorder footage as .mov on my Mac?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Your HV20 is an HDV camcorder. If you used Premiere Elements to capture your footage over a FireWire connection, it is the ideal format for editing in a project set up for HDV video.

Changing the M2T to another format may make it visible in Lightroom but, depending on the codec you use for your MOV file, it may make it unusable or challenging  to edit in a Premiere Elements project.

Is it really worth the trade?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Won't PE10 import camcorder footage as .mov on my Mac?
            Jerry Mann Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply, Steve. I guess it would not be worth the trade as the final video is all important, in this instance. What is M2T ?

What about PE9 importing to a Mac in .mov format? I heard this mentioned in a tutorial by Jeff Sengstack. Just curious, at this point.

I have a related question regarding mixing footage from my HV20 and my 5Dmii. Should I post that in a separate query? The main question is can I do that, and if so, what Projects Settings would I choose when using two different cameras in one project? I assume the 5D footage will come in as .mpeg format as well?

Thank you,

Jerry

• 3. Re: Won't PE10 import camcorder footage as .mov on my Mac?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

An MOV, like an AVI, is just a file packet. What inside can be any of hundreds of possible codecs.

The DV codec, for instance, is the one used to create standard definition video in miniDV camcorders. It's the ideal format for editing with most PC-based and Mac-based camcorders. It can be either an AVI or an MOV -- but the file is identical.

M2T is the format editable high-def video is stored as on a Mac or PC. An M2T can be based on an MPEG or H.264 codec.

If you convert it to an MOV, you could be converting it to any of hundreds of codecs.

Though I'm surprised you'd have to. Macs should be able read M2Ts as easily as they can read most universal video formats, and your Adobe software should be able to too.

• 4. Re: Won't PE10 import camcorder footage as .mov on my Mac?
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't have a link handy, but there was another recent message thread talking about mixing files in PreElements

As I remember, the answer is that for v10 you may only edit one kind of video at a time, but the new version 11 will allow 2 kinds of video

• 5. Re: Won't PE10 import camcorder footage as .mov on my Mac?
                  Jerry Mann Level 1

John, I searched a little and found a post that discussed this to some degree. http://forums.adobe.com/message/3428625#3428625  You chimed in on it...

I am hoping that since both of my cameras are Canon maybe the codecs will work together... sort of winging my tech terms here. I did take care to be sure that my settings for each camera were the "same", 1080i at 30 fps. So I guess I just bring all footage into PE10 and see how it works. I imported the 5dmii footage through Lightroom, and those files are .mov files. Should I re-import  them into PE10? I am asking a lot of questions that could be answered by just trying it... I guess I am hoping for some wisdom to come through the forum to help save a lot of time and headaches.

Thanks again,

Jerry

• 6. Re: Won't PE10 import camcorder footage as .mov on my Mac?
                    Jerry Mann Level 1

Searching Adobe TV for tutorials on Premiere Elements 10 specifically, I found a nice, detailed video by Maxim Jago, in which he detailed the settings in the Project Settings panel.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-premiere-elements-10/understanding-options-when-creating-a -new-project/

Very informative for anyone who is baffled by 1080p interlaced 48 Mhz NTSC... and at the very end he makes the statement that pretty much answers my question about combining different camera types into one project. He says that if you shot with two different cameras and want to use the footage in the same project, choose the setting that you would like to output to. He said it with complete confidence, so all I can do is go forward with confidence! Thanks for everyone's replies!

Jerry

EDIT: Another helpful video by Maxim address the Project Settings question: http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-premiere-elements-10/an-overview-of-making-a-movie-with-pr emiere-elements/

• 7. Re: Won't PE10 import camcorder footage as .mov on my Mac?
                      JMJarrige Level 2

HDV videos are encoded in MPEG2 format natively. If you import them (via firewire) in Premiere Elements, the

program generates mpeg files (the same on Mac or PC).

You can have mov format on your mac by capturing the videos with iMovie. You will have mov clips in

the iMovie events folder. And you can use these clips in PREL by the import function.

The issue often encountered on Mac is the codec MPEG2 '(called Quicktime MPEG2 component) has to be

bought on the applestore (20 USD or 20 euros for me in France) in order to have MPEG2 files visible with QT,

and Mac system.

Bonne chance.

• 8. Re: Won't PE10 import camcorder footage as .mov on my Mac?
                        Jerry Mann Level 1

Hey JMJ, thank you for the answer to my original question! This explains it all. Also, visiting the link (below) at Apple and reading the comments is very educational:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/D2187Z/A/quicktime-mpeg-2-playback-component-for-mac-os- x

Crazy we have to BUY something else to make things work "normally," but as I learned Apple does not own the patent to mpeg so must charge for it...

After buying the MPEG2 codec (and, also necessary to hear sound, downloading the MPEG Streamclip freeware) I will be able to view the Premiere-generated mpeg files in Quicktime, and I assume, in the Finder as well. This is not exactly straightforward, so one might want to read through the comments in the link above for extra info. Looks like viewing them in Lightroom will still require .mov files, but the workaround is either, a) as JMJ mentioned, recapturing the video in iMovie, or b) as I learned in the comments at the Apple Store, from the MPEG Streamclip software export the movie to Quicktime--which I think will produce a .mov file.

Whew!!! I'm sweating just thinking about it!

Jerry.

P.S. And to think that the answer to my question came from a guy with just 48 posts! You rock, JMJ!

• 9. Re: Won't PE10 import camcorder footage as .mov on my Mac?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Crazy we have to BUY something else to make things work "normally," but as I learned Apple does not own the patent to mpeg so must charge for it...

After buying the MPEG2 codec (and, also necessary to hear sound, downloading the MPEG Streamclip freeware)

It's not THAT much different with PrE, though the "purchase price" is figured into the cost of PrE. It comes with a deactivated MPEG-2 CODEC, from MainConcept. That CODEC is Activated, when first used, and few users are even aware of that, as it should happen transparently, with zero drama. The reason for that is that Adobe must pay a licensing fee to MainConcept. They only want to pay that fee, when the CODEC is Activated, and in many trials of Premiere (especially PrPro), that CODEC was disconnected, so that Adobe ONLY paid for its use, in the full-paid versions. That Activation is really just an accounting function, to calculate how many licenses Adobe needs to pay MainConcept for.

In an aside, I am a big fan of "buying" my CODEC's, from the source. With many CODEC's, there are often several suppliers, and some of those can be free. However, I want the ultimate available, when I need it. The only "free" CODEC's, that I have, are from the developers, who release them as Open Source, such as Lagarith Lossless, or UT Lossless. Otherwise, I think that all of mine are either included with commercially available programs, or have been purchased from the developing source. I never even contemplate a CODEC "pack," unless it comes from someone, like MainConcept, or MicroSoft.

Good luck, and glad that you got the answer. Any time spent learning about CODEC's, will pay dividends later on. Also, that education will be never-ending, as camera mfgrs. are always busy developing, or tweaking CODEC's - things are constantly in flux.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Won't PE10 import camcorder footage as .mov on my Mac?
                            Jerry Mann Level 1

Bill, you have actually provided EVEN more valuable insight. I never thought about it as you put it, that Premiere Elements is the answer to viewing mpegs, not necessarily the problem... sounds obvious as I say it! Really, what is so hard about opening the Organizer and browsing the video clips there? I have been so stuck on "needing" to view them in the finder or Quicktime, that I did not think about using the Organizer.

• 11. Re: Won't PE10 import camcorder footage as .mov on my Mac?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Sometimes, fixes, or solutions can come from tid-bits from here, or there. Hope that you CAN get things working, as you wish, and as you need.

I have had to adjust a few bits of my workflow, to accommodate how a certain program functions.

Good luck,

Hunt