4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2012 6:08 AM by BlueFunk74

Soft Return Replacement

BlueFunk74 Level 1

Hi,

Let me try and explain what I am doing, and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I have a word document that I am importing into InDesign from word, and I need to apply a Soft Return between paragraph styles, and now Word will not allow me to apply 2 paragraph styles to the one paragraph, so I can either have the text flow in to InDesign incorrectly, or correctly with the wrong character formatting on.

I have a Paragraph Style title 'Romance Body Title' which is a bold font, then the proceeding copy is a Paragraph style called 'Romance Body Copy' which is a lighter version of the font.

Is there a way to hard code within the 'Romance Body Title' that after the last word any the return is replaced by a soft return?

Thanks in advance

Steve

• 1. Re: Soft Return Replacement
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

InDesign also allows only one paragraph style per paragraph. Why, exactly do you thingk you want a soft return here instead of a true paragraph break?

• 2. Re: Soft Return Replacement
            BlueFunk74 Level 1

Hi Peter,

Maybe incorrectly, but I am importing them in from Word as 2 paragraphs, but I need a soft return, eg,

Product Title Description etc etc etc (Paragraph Style One (Soft Return))

Paragraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph body

Product Title Description etc etc etc (Paragraph Style One (Soft Return))

Paragraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph bodyParagraph body

• 3. Re: Soft Return Replacement
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

That shows me waht you want it to look like, but I don't see a reason why you need the soft return. A hard return after the product title will do what you want. Are you have a problem with paragraph spacing?

• 4. Re: Soft Return Replacement
                BlueFunk74 Level 1

Hi Peter,

Many apologies, my fault. Simple formatting error on my behalf.

But thanks for your time

Steve