25 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2012 11:34 AM by craig cheatham

Organizing paths into folders

Warsymphony

Hello,

I am trying to find a way to organize all my pen paths into folders. Layers can be put into folders but paths can not???!!!?!!?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Organizing paths into folders
          Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

Warsymphony,

Unfortunately there is no "folder" option for organizing paths.

The only thing I can suggest is to create an empty path with a name that would be used to divide the paths into categories.

path names.png

You can't collapse these into folders, but it does let you organize them by categories.

• 2. Re: Organizing paths into folders
            c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

Layers can be put into folders but paths can not???!!!?!!?

What about the excess punctuation marks?

The answer is currently (as indicated by the previous poster): Paths can not be organized in folders in the Paths Panel.

If you want to make a feature request or add your support to a possibly existing one check out

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/

• 3. Re: Organizing paths into folders
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Layers can be put into folders but paths can not???!!!?!!?

Yes. Not sure why this should be an issue, though. If you have more than a certain number of paths, then it's probably something you should have done in Illustrator in the first place.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Organizing paths into folders
                Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

Mylenium,

You're right that most files have only 3 or 4 paths. But I can see, with a very involved file, with many objects that need to be selected by paths, that there could easily be 10 or more paths. And it would be helpful if those paths could be organized into categories.

But creating the paths in Illustrator wouldn't really help as the paths need to be in Photoshop to select areas, stroke areas, etc.

In addition, InDesign uses Photoshop paths for clipping as well as text runaround. So having multiple paths in a Photoshop document can be very helpful.

• 5. Re: Organizing paths into folders
                  conroy Level 5

But creating the paths in Illustrator wouldn't really help as the paths need to be in Photoshop to select areas, stroke areas, etc.

The financial cost and learning curve of Illustrator don't help much either.

• 6. Re: Organizing paths into folders
                    Warsymphony Level 1

Not everyone uses Photoshop for correcting red eye and printing their vocation photos. The company I work for has a team of artists that uses Ps to create 2D raster animations. When we get done with one animation it can have as many as 50 paths.  What frustrates me the most is that the functionality for organizing paths into folders already exists. Layers utilize this functionality and it would be extremely simple to add for paths, especially compared to some of the new features that have been added to Ps cs6.

• 7. Re: Organizing paths into folders
                      c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

Layers and Paths are not the same so claiming the functionality (edit) the OP wants exists seems a bit of a jump on your part.

That the Panels look alike does not necessarily mean much …

• 8. Re: Organizing paths into folders
                        Warsymphony Level 1

How many years of programming or computer science experience do you have? What difference does it make how paths and layers are alike? How they are shown in the UI has to do with the UI not the the functionality of the path or the layer. I cant wait to hear your explanation.

• 9. Re: Organizing paths into folders
                          Level 7

>> What frustrates me the most is that the functionality for organizing paths into folders already exists.

Um, no, it doesn't.

>> Layers utilize this functionality and it would be extremely simple to add for paths,

Bad guess.  The lists work quite differently, and don't share much code - because the underlying objects work quite differently.

What you're requesting is possible, but requires writing quite a bit of new code, or a rather "interesting" refactoring to make existing code deal with very different object behaviors.

• 10. Re: Organizing paths into folders
                            Warsymphony Level 1

Bad guess?

I guess I should have assumed that Ps is an unstructured program who’s developers did not have the discipline to avoid structural problems, and as a consequence resulted in a poorly maintainable program with no modular design.

You’re telling me that Ps has been in development for over 20 years and for its programmers to extend the UIs already existing functionality would require writing quite a bit of new code, or refactoring?

Where’s the OOP? Was Ps written in assembly language?

• 11. Re: Organizing paths into folders
                              c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

How many years of programming or computer science experience do you have?

I’m not a programmer but a Photoshop user and therefore try not to jump to conclusions on Photoshop issues too easily.

• 12. Re: Organizing paths into folders
                                Level 7

Yes, you've made several bad guesses.

OOP doesn't help in cases like this when the objects have very different behaviors.

Your claim is sort of like saying that a chicken coop is good for horses to live in, because they both have feet.

• 13. Re: Organizing paths into folders
                                  Jeff Schewe Level 5

Chris Cox wrote:

Your claim is sort of like saying that a chicken coop is good for horses to live in, because they both have feet.

Nice one Chris...

:~)

• 14. Re: Organizing paths into folders
                                    davetwo Level 2

It is probably a better workflow to build your 'paths' as vector shape layers instead. Then you can put them in a folder, turn it off, and forget about them until you need them.

Another advantage of this is that if you move the image layer that relates to the path, you can link the layers together ensuing the path moves with it.

1 person found this helpful
                                    • 15. Re: Organizing paths into folders
                                      Warsymphony Level 1

I have already explained this but obviously you didn't understand. Putting layers into a folder is not a function of the layer, its a function of the UI. The difference in behaviors between layers and paths is irrelevant. Again, how paths and layers are displayed is a function of the UI. Therefore it would take no refactoring and very little new code to reuse the folder collapse function of the UI.

Stick to giving advice on topics you know about, thanks.

• 16. Re: Organizing paths into folders
                                        conroy Level 5

Warsymphony wrote:

Stick to giving advice on topics you know about, thanks.

LOL!!! Chris Cox is a senior software engineer at Adobe and he has been developing Photoshop for 16 years.

• 17. Re: Organizing paths into folders
                                          c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

While you may have seemed somewhat haughty up to now I guess you might have embarrassed yourself with your last post.

Check out Photoshop’s splash screen.

• 18. Re: Organizing paths into folders
                                            Warsymphony Level 1

Whats embarrassing is dropping a grand on software that lacks basic organization that people have been requesting for years now.

• 19. Re: Organizing paths into folders
                                              c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

I find voicing assumptions as certainties embarrassing.

Whereas Asobe’s decision to not invest resources into the implementation of features some users request can probably run the gamut from from embarrassing indeed to welcome.

But our attitudes on embarrassment aside, as I already mentioned I’m no programmer and therefore have no grasp on the real intricacies of file formats, so I wonder what consequences folders for Paths would have for those.

How would the additional information ideally be stored and how would that work out with formats other than psd and psb that support paths?

• 20. Re: Organizing paths into folders
                                                craig cheatham Level 1

Warsymphony, your irritation with user interface is understandable. I would also like the ability to make path sets. Additionally, I have wondered for years why it is not possible to select multiple paths to delete all at once. We have to deliver files to one client that ONLY has a clipping path and no others. I regularly have to delete from 20 to 60 paths from a file, each individually, each time hitting the delete key.

I'd like to define the display color of a path so I could see it more easily. I'd like to be able to define the size of points on a path, so I could see them.

But your irritation has led you to certain assumptions about building the code for Photoshop and insulting the intelligence of the development team. That's unseemly.

There are clearly limiting factors in the behavior of vector information in PS. Many behaviors I expect should be a simple matter to code for paths must be very complicated to achieve, maybe having to do with the architecture of graphics cards. I don't know, I'm just a Photoshop guy.

One solution is to put paths as vector paths on layers and bury those in layer groups that you open and close. It's a pain, but it works.

• 21. Re: Organizing paths into folders
                                                  c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

I regularly have to delete from 20 to 60 paths from a file, each individually, each time hitting the delete key.

There are easier ways to do that.

I can’t find the site where I originally found this Script, so I’ll post it here with the remark that it was not created by me.

// remove all paths, Matthias Lemcke 
                                                  if (app.documents.length == 0) { 
                                                  } 
                                                  else { 

var InitialPathCount = activeDocument.pathItems.length; 
                                                  var PathCount = activeDocument.pathItems.length; 
                                                  var PathList = new Array( ); 

for (var i = 0; i < PathCount; i++) { 
                                                             PathList[i] = activeDocument.pathItems[i].name 
                                                  } 

for (var i = 0; i < PathCount; i++) { 
                                                  if (activeDocument.pathItems[PathList[i]].kind != PathKind.CLIPPINGPATH) { 
                                                  if (activeDocument.pathItems[PathList[i]].kind != PathKind.VECTORMASK) { 
                                                  activeDocument.pathItems[PathList[i]].remove() 
                                                  } 
                                                  } 
                                                  }
                                                  }

1 person found this helpful
                                                  • 22. Re: Organizing paths into folders
                                                    craig cheatham Level 1

Thanks, I'll try to make this work.

We need to delete all but the path designated Clipping Path.

But maybe deleting all and then pasting the one back in would still be easier.

Craig

• 23. Re: Organizing paths into folders
                                                      Level 5

Warsymphony wrote:

Whats embarrassing is dropping a grand on software that lacks basic organization that people have been requesting for years now.

Yes it is embarrassing for anybody to drop money on software without trying out the trial version.

• 24. Re: Organizing paths into folders
                                                        c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

The Script already leaves the Clipping Path.

• 25. Re: Organizing paths into folders
                                                          craig cheatham Level 1

Thanks for that script.

Someone who knows more about scripts than I do will be implementing that.

You will have saved us a lot of irritating repetition.

Thanks,

Craig