12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2012 10:27 AM by jbowden

Simple stop and go from a button

Lee Tempest

HELP!

I have an animate document with 6 buttons (made up of an image, and svg and text) all grouped to a DIV. I then have my timeline setup so that if a button is clicked the other 5 change opacity to 50%. The animation autoplay is turned off so nothing happens when the file loads, it just displays the six buttons.

I have labels on the timeline that I'm trying to reference with a click action. However whatever I do nothing works when I preview the file in a browser.

There also seems to be something missing in the code panel. This is what I have assigned to a button:

// insert code for mouse click here

// play the timeline from the given position (ms or label)

sym.play(play);

Should there not be more code below the // insert code for mouse click here text?

Please help I have no idea what I'm doing wrong! would be willing to send you the files to take a look.

Thanks

Lee

• 1. Re: Simple stop and go from a button
          joel_pau Level 5

Hi,

Using a label: sym.play("myLabel");

• 2. Re: Simple stop and go from a button
            Lee Tempest Level 1

Joel,

Thanks I have used what you have shown but it still does not work.

I have uploaded the fielbase as a zip to:

www.litchfieldmorris.co.uk/Homepage_Anim.zip

The file is 1.6Mb

I would welcome you expertise and look at what I have produced and why it does not work.

The functionality I would like is when a user moves the mouse over (and if possible their finger on a tablet) say the Resources 'pebble' that the other five pebbles are set to 50% opacity. Then on click / press it would redirect to a url.

Would you be willing to take a look at what I have so far and advise on the best solution?

Thanks so much in advance.

Regards

Lee Tempest

• 3. Re: Simple stop and go from a button
              joel_pau Level 5

Well, your download link doesn't work.

• 4. Re: Simple stop and go from a button
                Lee Tempest Level 1

Apologies, it was in the root of server not public_html!

Please try again.

Thanks

• 5. Re: Simple stop and go from a button
                  resdesign Adobe Community Professional & MVP

important things to remember:

• do not forget the quotation marks for the labels   sym.play(label) does not work and sym.play("label") is the right way.
                  • if you are targetting the timeline of a symbol then you need to use getSymbol.

for example I have a symbol called formula1 and inside it a symbol called electron1. If I want to play the electron's symbol timleine I have to use:

sym.getSymbol("formula1").getSymbol("electron1").play();

• You can also show and hide a symbol just like an element

var formula1 - sym.$("formula1");

formula1.hide();

formula1.show();

•     Just make sure you are targeting your symbol properly. example: symbol is call eight.

sym.getSymbol("eight").play();

• 6. Re: Simple stop and go from a button
                    Eddie Ostrowski Level 2

resdesign, I'm trying to use symbols more. Thanks for clarifying how to use "sym.getSymbol"... it works!

Question:  Besides the fact that symbols can be reused, is there a significant advantage to using symbols when it comes time to coding vs coding elements?

Eddie

• 7. Re: Simple stop and go from a button
                      resdesign Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Well it all depends how your project is structured. If you need elements with different timelines, then of course you have to use symbols. To me, symbols add a lot of functionality to my projects and I use them a lot. You just have to get used to targetting them porperly. Check the API when in doubt. I still do that even though I have been working with Edge since Preview 1.

• 8. Re: Simple stop and go from a button
                        Eddie Ostrowski Level 2

Believe you hit the nail on the head when mentioning "proper targeting". It'd be great if Adobe posted a seminar online to explain, in detail for new users, the API for EA.

Much appreciated, thanks again!

Eddie

• 9. Re: Simple stop and go from a button
                          Lee Tempest Level 1

Thanks for the help, I did not realise I had to enclose the code within " " quotes.

Got my functionality working now.

One final question, I have converted all my buttons to symbols, but how do I make them a responsive size?

I have watched the tv.adobe.com videos on flexible layouts, but they do not seem to mention how I set a symbol to be a percentage width and height. When I select the symbol on the stage the click option next to the width and height are greyed out and I cannot convert from pixel dimensions.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Lee

• 10. Re: Simple stop and go from a button
                            jbowden Adobe Employee

Lee Tempest wrote:

I have watched the tv.adobe.com videos on flexible layouts, but they do not seem to mention how I set a symbol to be a percentage width and height. When I select the symbol on the stage the click option next to the width and height are greyed out and I cannot convert from pixel dimensions.

Hi Lee,

To make a symbol responsive, you must edit the symbol and then set both the symbol w/h to percentage, as well as those of all the child elements in the symbol.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

hth,

Joe

• 11. Re: Simple stop and go from a button
                              Lee Tempest Level 1

Joe,

Thanks for the advice on the responsive symbol. But I am not able to do what you mention.

I have an image, piece of text and SVG graphic, all set to percentages and then make them a symbol. However I then cannot change the width and height from the px settings. See the attached screenshot.

positionsize.png

I cannot click on the px next to the W and H settings in either the Global or Applied options when I have the symbol selected on the stage.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Lee Tempest

• 12. Re: Simple stop and go from a button
                                jbowden Adobe Employee

Hello Lee,

To make a symbol responsive, you must edit the symbol itself - that's what I meant when I mention editing the symbol in my first reply. You can either edit the symbol in place (double-click the symbol instance on the Stage) or edit it directly (double-click on the symbol icon in the Library panel).

Screen Shot 2012-10-15 at 1.24.14 PM.png

Once you're in symbol editing mode, click on the symbol sub-stage, and then you can change the width/height units of the symbol from px to %.

Hope this clarifies it,

Joe