11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2012 9:22 AM by BlueFunk74

Bullet Point Paragraph Styles

BlueFunk74 Level 1

Hi,

I have a section of text which requires a bullet adding to the first line which is bolded text. Then a soft return is added and the following indented text is to appear without a bullet in a lighter version of the font.

I think I have figured out the bullet point and indentation, but I am struggling within the GREP section to inform the style to use a different font after the first return.

Thanks

Steve

• 1. Re: Bullet Point Paragraph Styles
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You don't actually need GREP for this, you could use nested styles. Like this:

Screen shot 2012-10-02 at 9.19.24 AM.png

I used the "space after" attribute to add the spacing between the two sets of text.

You could also use a hard return after your headline and after your body text, and set up different paragraph styles, one bold, one not. The bold style would have no space after, and the regular would have whatever spacing you needed.

• 2. Re: Bullet Point Paragraph Styles
            BlueFunk74 Level 1

Hi,

The problem I have is that the Bolded text and the Lighter Text are 2 different fonts. How would I apply this to the Nested Styles?

Thanks

Steve

• 3. Re: Bullet Point Paragraph Styles
              SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

nested styles simply allow you to apply character styles to a defined part of your paragraph. You can set up as many attributes as you want in your character style. In my example, I just added the bold attribute, but you could set up a character style that had a different font, color, size, tracking, etc.

• 4. Re: Bullet Point Paragraph Styles
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You can set all of the font arrtibutes you need in the character style you create to nest, but really, this should be two paragraph styles and a hard return after the heading. To make the second part indented, add a left indent to the paragagraph style. Add a Keep Option to the style applied to the heading to keep with next 1 line and it will never appear by itself at the bottom of a column.

• 5. Re: Bullet Point Paragraph Styles
                  BlueFunk74 Level 1

Excellent, works a treat, thank you.

Using 2 Paragraph Styles has really made it easier.

I have another outstanding issue with this now. I have 3 statements contained within a story, and before the first bullet point I need to apply a 3pt Paragraph spacing, only before the first Bullet point, any advice?

Thanks

Steve

• 6. Re: Bullet Point Paragraph Styles

If it's just this one story and just the one paragraph that needs adjustment, then I'd do it as a local override -- Put your cursor inthe paragraph and add the spacing, or put the cursor in the previous paragraph and add the extra space there as space after.

If you need this often enough to make a style, create a second bulleted paragraph style based on the original, but change the spacing, and apply that to the first heading in the group.

• 7. Re: Bullet Point Paragraph Styles
                      BlueFunk74 Level 1

Again, thanks Peter.

I have more! Apologies.

I want to keep the number of Paragraph styles I use to a minimum. So with this in mind, my story starts with three lines of text. I want to manipulate the Paragraph Style so it displays with the 2 second lines a point size smaller then the first, ie,

TITLE (7pt)

SUBTITLE A (6pt)

SUBTITLE B (6pt)

Thanks

Steve

• 8. Re: Bullet Point Paragraph Styles

I understand the temptation to keep the style count down, but in the long run you'll thank yourself for defining a style for every type of paragraph.

In this case, unless there is some difference between the formatting for the two subtitles you can use one style for both. Styles are defined for the appearance of paragraphs and are meant to be re-used multiple times, but give you the ability to change only the style defintion and have the text in the whole document update to reflect the change.

• 9. Re: Bullet Point Paragraph Styles
                          BlueFunk74 Level 1

Yet again, thank you Peter.

I have to apologise as I am new to InDesign, and have a major job on with it.

I have 2 outstanding issues, then that should be that.

The leaflet I am producing, has numerous languages within the same story, each is preceeded by the Title (which is working great, thanks). Above each title I need to automatically add a Square Logo, which is a placed item from Illustrator. This logo requires a set space before and after it which is the same throughout the leaflet.

Can I add within the Paragraph Style for the Title for this Icon to be added?

Thanks

Steve

• 10. Re: Bullet Point Paragraph Styles

I think I would create one more paragraph style just for the logos. Add a paragraph in front of the heading using this new style, put your cursor in this blank paragraph and then File > Place.... and choose your logo. It will be placed as an inline anchored object in the parargaraph and will flow with the rest of the text as you edit.

Sounds like you need the standard training advice: get a copy of Sandee Cohen's Visual QuickStart Guide for InDesign and look into a subscription to Lynda.com.

Bob Levine is probably out of town today, or he'd pop in here with a coupon code to get you a free week, but if you search the forum for Levine and Lynda.com you'll probably find one.

• 11. Re: Bullet Point Paragraph Styles
                              BlueFunk74 Level 1

Thanks so much Peter.

I think the majority of it is that I am trying to run before I can walk. Looking likely that the InDesign way may well be the way forward for me, so the advice on training sounds a good call.

Thanks so much mate,

Steve