3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2008 6:36 AM by Mouseclick Multimedia

File I/O Xtra

MECS Level 1
      I need to put code on a CD that will allow a user to launch a Director movie a given number times. Once that number is exceeded, the movie would not launch and an error message would inform them of the expiration. I would need to write a file to their hard drive that would keep track of the number of launches and direct the playback head to the "expired" frame once the number of launches is exceeded.

I can probably use the fileI/O Xtra that comes with Director MX, but I can find no information on how to use that Xtra. Is there a tutorial somewhere that might help me?

Thanks.

Dewey
        • 1. Re: File I/O Xtra
          Level 7
          Here is some info on using fileIO

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_3177

http://www.adobe.com/support/director/how/show/fileio.html

You do realize how easy this would be for a user to circumvent though,
          right? All they would have to do is delete the file. Your Director
          program would probably react as if it was the first time being run again.

Also, you need to be careful with where you try to write files as the
          user may not have permissions to do so and you code will fail.

Trying to create trial version in this manner will only stop the less
          knowledgeable users. There are ways in making it more and more difficult
          for users to circumvent, but they are more difficult to implement. In
          the end you have to decide how important it really is for you. If it is
          'really' important, then you will want to go with a professional
          software licensing solution.
          • 2. Re: File I/O Xtra
            Level 7
            Please don't post the same question to multiple forums until you've
            given your first post a reasonable length of time to elicit a response.
            • 3. Re: File I/O Xtra
              Mouseclick Multimedia
              As stated above, it's not wise to use FileIO to accomplish this. Have you looked into BuddyApi?
              That has a function 'WriteRegString' and 'ReadRegString' that allows you to read and write to and from the Windows Registry. Much safer, and much harder to circumvent by the user!