6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2012 1:51 PM by Peter Spier

Problem pasting russian text

cubsfan2010

Hello all-

I sent some English InDesign source files to a translation company for a document, and received back translated Russian InDesign source files. After sending a pdf to the client for review, I received back a marked up pdf, with some requested changes to some Russian text included in the redlined pdf.

When I copy the russian text in the Acrobat pdf (contained in a Highlight box) and paste it into my Indesign Russian source file, the characters change. Sometimes the word will paste into a text frame correctly, with overrides. When I clear the overrides to apply to paragraph style I need, the characters change to something different.

Has anyone come across this kind of problem? The client reviewer inserts text changes using standard Acrobat markup features, but this text isn't pasting into InDesign correctly. (Happens in both CS4 and CS6)

I would appreciate any thoughts on this!! Thanks in advance...

Terry

• 1. Re: Problem pasting russian text
          winterm Level 4

one thought just for start:

After sending a pdf to the client for review

ensure you're sending pdf with compatibility set to Acrobat 5 (PDF 1.4) or higher. I noticed version 1.3 CAN produce problems with pasting russian text from pdf back to indd, word or whatever...

If it's not the case, than you probably could supply us with examples of your pdf's?

And - as usually - what's your OS?

• 2. Re: Problem pasting russian text
            cubsfan2010 Level 1

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it. I am using Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro,

and have both CS4 and CS6 available, same issue on both computers (XP). I

have attached an example, a page from the PDF that I received from the

client with a Russian word change. The new word will paste in ID with Basic

paragraph style applied, but when I change the style to one of my own

styles the characters change. I discovered that some of my other paragraph

styles do not change the characters, just some of them. Maybe a setting in

my styles is different? Maybe this helps.

Thanks again in advance for any insight!

Terry

• 3. Re: Problem pasting russian text
              winterm Level 4

oh, sorry, I didn't warn you, file attachments are disabled at forum, you can upload it somewhere and post a link here (better option, because someone else could join us) or send me pm.

whatever. You said, some of your styles keep chars right? It could be a font - it must contain cyrrilic glyphs to display chars properly (you can hit Alt+Shift+F11 and check it in Glyphs palette) with text cursor in text.

anyhow, it would be nice to see files: pdf and indd (CS4 or idml). I'm on CS 5.5.

• 4. Re: Problem pasting russian text
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Have you tried "Paste Without Formatting"? That should use the cahracters onthe clipboard, and the current style information at the cursor location.

• 5. Re: Problem pasting russian text
                  cubsfan2010 Level 1

Yes, I would like to get you the indd file and the pdf I am trying to copy

from...how could I do that? Can you send me a regular email?

[Link removed by moderator]

Message was edited by: Peter Spier

• 6. Re: Problem pasting russian text
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Please don't put personal information in your posts. All of your responses are posted on the web for the whole world and spambots to see. I removed your email.

You can use the private message system, or the internal email (not sure if that's an option for non-moderators), by clciking on a user name and going to their profile.