3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2012 12:35 PM by cowboymustache

After Effects keeps losing connection with image sequences

cowboymustache

I'm rendering image sequences out of MAYA and importing them into After Effects. After Effects keeps losing connection to the media, even though the location of the sequences have not changed. All I have to do is reimport the sequence and alt-drag drop it back in, but it is getting irritating and makes for a mess in the project window. This will happen even mid-session; I'll RAM preview a clip, looks good, make one small change to one of the composite layers, and bam, image sequence is disconnected and I have to reimport.  It's very inconsistent when it happens, but enough that it is interrupting my work flow. Has anyone else ever had this problem? It happened with cs 5, cs 5.5, and cs 6, but seems to be happening more now. I usually import .tif sequences out of MAYA.

• 1. Re: After Effects keeps losing connection with image sequences
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Tips for working with sequences:

Make sure each sequence is it's unique folder.

If you loose a link then choose reload footage. If that doesn't work, choose replace footage.

Keep the numbering system simple and short. Scene_A100_Take_2_00001.tif is barely acceptable. Scene A Take 2 01.tif is going to give you problems. Scene A Shot 1.tif isn't going to work at all.

• 2. Re: After Effects keeps losing connection with image sequences
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What numbering system do you use? AE has always preferred sequences with padded numbers, not Maya's default unpadded numbering or even the old *.number.extension scheme it inheritetd from its IRIX days... And Rick has a point about using spaces vs. underscores, too. Not sure about having everything in separate folders. The days where operating systems would get to their knees with more than 500 files in a folder are long over and as long as there are distinct prefixes/ suffixes in the name, AE is perfectly able to keep everything straight.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: After Effects keeps losing connection with image sequences
              cowboymustache Level 1

I am using the "name.#.ext" format. They are all in separate folders. I keep the names super simple with no extra dashes, spaces. Do you think it's possibly the "." rather then dashes? I know MAYA is super picky about it being a "." rather then a dash in the naming convention, maybe AE needs it the other way. I will also try the padding next time as well, noticed the files were not.

Like I said before, they always come in fine, they just randomly lose connection here and there....Thanks guys.