6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2012 8:45 AM by amcardwell

Help me! M. Tracking/Camera Question.

amcardwell

Hey everyone. I have a question about animating a list of bullet points while using a camera. Here is a video of what I have accomplished so far:

Now, hopefully you can get a better understanding of my goal. This composition is all fine and dandy, but I am wanting this animation to contain many, many more red bars and slide in at a gradually faster pace. Currently the rest of the red bars extend beyond the bottom edge of my composition. I want them to show up in my final comp, but I dont want to create a super large comp only to compensate for the amount of red bars.

My base composition (Comp1) has each "bar" as its own layer (.ai files). Each bar is animated to gradually move from right to left into the center of the canvas. The parent composition (Comp2) includes the base comp (Comp1), and above it--a shape layer containing a feathered mask. This layer was made into a track matte, to create the illusion of each bar fading into the canvas. Finally, the parent of Comp2 (Comp3) contains the Camera, Comp2, the text layer "Company", and the background--respectfully, from top layer to bottom layer.

My issue is, I cant figure out how to continue the downward movement of the camera without it reaching the bottom of Comp2. In Comp1, I created countless bars that extend well below the bottom edge of the composition--all of them animated accordingly. Ive extended the mask (Track Matte) in Comp2 all the way to the bottom bar of Comp1. Still, moving the camera in Comp3 down its Y-axis just shows the bars in the viewer.

So, is there any way to get what I want? I dont want to create a composition with a 20,000 px height.... there must be a way to achieve this. Thanks again.

Adam

• 1. Re: Help me! M. Tracking/Camera Question.
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Animate the slide-in a strip shaped pre-comp covering one segement height and width, then repeat it in the main comp. Use time-remapping to adjust the timing and Motion Tile to repeat larger stacks....

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Help me! M. Tracking/Camera Question.
            amcardwell Level 1

hmm... let me try that. Thanks

• 3. Re: Help me! M. Tracking/Camera Question.
              amcardwell Level 1

are you saying to make each bar its own comp? please explain what you meant by "a strip shaped pre-comp covering one segement height and width"

• 4. Re: Help me! M. Tracking/Camera Question.
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If this were my project I make all of your arrows 3D, move the background and the track matte to the main comp, collapse transformations for the pre-comp. Then the camera would track all the way down revealing every row.

Another approach is to parent all of your arrows to a null and animate the Y position of the null to move the arrows up. If you use parenting just make sure you're at frame zero before you select all of the arrow layers assign the null as a parent. In this technique you will be able to keep the layers all 2D.

Mylenium's suggestion for motion tile is also a good solution.

Whenever I do projects that have repedative motion I use an expression to assign the motion. If you're into expressions then you might want to take a look at this expression that I saved as an animation preset. It's for slide in from left, drop out. You simply set the in and out point of the layer, adjust the number of frames you want to use to slide the layer in and slide the layer out, then duplicate. A little modification to the expression will make the layer slide in from the right and move down. You could then add an index value for the position of each layer below the first, then simply duplicate the layers as many times as you like, sequence the layers, and you'd be done.

Here's the expression:

sif = effect("slideIn Frames")("Slider");

sof= effect("slideOut Frames")("Slider");

// find in and out point

inTime = sif * thisComp.frameDuration;

if (effect("Match SI SO")("Checkbox") == 0) {

outTime = sof * thisComp.frameDuration;

}

else if (effect("Match SI SO")("Checkbox") == 1) {

outTime = inTime;

}

// Fix  layer size when scaled

sf = scale - [100, 100];

xSize = width + (width * sf[0]/100);

ySize = height + (height * sf[1]/100);

realSize = [xSize, ySize];

// Set Positions

spx = 0 - realSize[0] + realSize[0]/2 ;

rstx = value [0];

rsty = value[1];

epy = thisComp.height + realSize[1] - realSize[1]/2;

// create movement

freq = effect("bounce Frequency")("Slider");

amplitude = effect("bounce Amplitude")("Slider");

decay = effect("bounce Decay")("Slider");

posCos = Math.abs(Math.cos(freq*time*2*Math.PI));

y = amplitude*posCos/Math.exp(decay*time);

moveIn = Math.min(linear(time,inPoint,inPoint + inTime,spx  ,rstx-y));

moveOut = Math.min(linear(time,outPoint - outTime,outPoint - thisComp.frameDuration,rsty ,epy));

[moveIn, moveOut]

Just add the called for sliders and check box and you're good to go.

Screen Shot 2012-10-02 at 2.26.21 PM.png

• 5. Re: Help me! M. Tracking/Camera Question.
                  amcardwell Level 1

Hmm.. ill give this a shot. Thanks Rick

• 6. Re: Help me! M. Tracking/Camera Question.
                    amcardwell Level 1

Worked like a charm!! I used your second option with the null object, and it gave me all the control I needed to let the bars scroll down continuously. Thank you and Mylenium for your awesome help!!

Adam