4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2012 2:50 PM by Ondrej Semotan

One server with DAM and more CQ instances

Ondrej Semotan

Hi all,

do you know if is possible to have one server with DAM and 3 server (Author/Publish) with CQ5 (CRX)? Is possible connect these three servers to one DAM? We have CQ5.5... Thank you for information.

• 1. Re: One server with DAM and more CQ instances
          Ryan Lunka Level 3

I'm not sure why you would want to do this.  If I understand correctly, you want to have three totally separate author-publish pairs that share a DAM.  One possible solution is to set up automatic replication to synchronize the DAM assets across the author instances and then use more standard replication to push those assets to each publish as needed. I've never tried this, and it seems like it could get complicated, but it's an option.  On the other hand you may just want to consider a single author instance where you can cluster multiple instances if you have the scalability needs.  If you explain your reasons for needing to separate these instances, I can probably provide some alternatives to totally separate environments.

• 2. Re: One server with DAM and more CQ instances
            Ondrej Semotan Level 1

Thank you for answer.

We have:

1) one server in DMZ (author/publish) for websites

2) one server in internal network (author/publish) for company INTRANET

3) one server in internal network (author/publish) for testing

4) one server in DMZ (author/publish) for other apps

So, we publish a lot of photos and digital assets. Now we have DAM on each instance... And we use a lot of digital content in these projects. We need central data repository for digital assets if you understand me. At this moment we have e.g. one Full HD video on three servers where we use it. I am beginner in CQ5 (we have it 4 months) and i dont know how we can do it.

• 3. Re: One server with DAM and more CQ instances
              Ryan Lunka Level 3

First, I assume you are calling it a "server" but you really mean two separate servers for each of 1 - 4 (one author instance, and one publish instance).  Is that correct?

For #3, you called it a "testing" server.  What are you testing?  Code?  If so, you'll want to have a testing instance that matches each instance you have.  Your "website" instances should have a testing server that matches the production environment.  The "intranet" and "other apps" ones should as well.  You wouldn't want to test all of those things on one instance, then separate them out in production.  A production environment that does not match the testing environment is a recipe for disaster.  I also wouldn't try to "migrate" content (DAM assets included) like you do code.  Preload test environments with test content that closely mirror production, but you don't necessarilly need to be exact.  This is especially true of heavy DAM assets.  Just load a subset of videos/images/etc. on testing environments.  It's not necessary to sync this with production.

Since #1 and #4 are both in the DMZ, I would use the same instance for both of these scenarios.  Do you have a compelling reason to completely separate them?  If you combine them, they share a DAM and the problem is solved.

For #2, how are you planning to integrate a non-DMZ instance with the others in the DMZ?  This strikes me as a problem.

• 4. Re: One server with DAM and more CQ instances
                Ondrej Semotan Level 1

My answer is here:

You are right with WEBSERVER and TESTSERVER. Structure and content is the same (1:1).

And our architecture is (details):

1) WEBSERVER ("two machines")

- author instance is in internal network

- publish is in DMZ

2) INTRANET

- author and publish on one machine

3) TEST SERVER

- author and publish on one machine

4) same as nr.1

Server nr.2 will be in internal network but maybe after 2-3 years we want migrate it to DMZ, than we create the same as server nr. 1

RESULT is: every AUTHOR instance is in internal network.