5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2012 2:49 PM by SoMarDesigner

Indesign to Excel

SoMarDesigner

My company has created a 1100 page catalog containing the products that we sell.  Is there anyway to export the data in the catalog to Excel? Ive tried exporting it as a PDF and then opening it as a spreadsheet, as well as different methods of copying entire pages and pasting them but none of them work.Acrobat hasn't been any help either.  The only way ive been able to do it so far is by going in and copying and pasting line by line. Is there a quicker way to do this, such as a script or something of that sort?

• 1. Re: Indesign to Excel
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Is the text tabular in ID? Or a table?

Put a text cursor in a story, but don't select anything, then go to File > Export and choose Text Only. Excel out to be able to recognize it as delimited text and build the spreadsheet.

• 2. Re: Indesign to Excel
            SoMarDesigner Level 1

i believe its tabular.  I found a way to export tables to excel, but the guy who held my job before me didnt use tables when creating the catalog.  Im assuming he put all the text in by hand because there are a countless amount of different text boxes.  Because of this, when i attempt to use the method you just outlined all that it exports is the text contained in that particular text box.  I need to export the headings, descriptions, part #'s, and detailed descriptions

• 3. Re: Indesign to Excel
              winterm Level 4

SoMarDesigner wrote:

Acrobat hasn't been any help either.

Really? Open pdf in Acrobat (I use X Pro), File>Save As> Spreadsheet> Microsoft Exel Workbook.

Works nicely for me with text-only sheets. Not sure about complex ones, with images, etc.

However, you should give it a try.

--
              Crossposting... Huh, if it's NOT tables in fact, than, I'm afraid, you're hard luck...

Message was edited by: winterm

• 4. Re: Indesign to Excel
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Make a copy of the file for backup, then go to Rorohiko.com and look for their Text Stitch script. That should be able to knit the whole thing into a single story.

If the data is tabular inthe frames I think that should do the trick.

• 5. Re: Indesign to Excel
                  SoMarDesigner Level 1

Thanks, I found a script to convert to CSV and then ran the Text Stitch.  After that, i exported as text only, and then imported into Excel using From Text button. This gave me, what i think, is a workable spreadsheet.  I have to go in run the same process for every two page spread but its much easier than copy and pasting