4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2012 11:44 AM by Vinay Nellagi

How to make the height of the div auto

Vinay Nellagi Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to create some symbols in side a div. But when the created symbols height exceeds the height of the containing div the rest just hides. The need is to increase the height of the div to accommodate the content.

Can someone please help ?

• 1. Re: How to make the height of the div auto
          resdesign Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I do not think that it matters. I often have symbols elements that go outside of the symbol perimeter and they still show all of it on the stage and when the composition is played.

You cannot increase the size of the container after it is created. What you could do is start over and create a new symbol of a large rectangle then add your elements in it and delete the place holder rectangle.

• 2. Re: How to make the height of the div auto
            Vinay Nellagi Level 1

Well, the reason I want it to acheive this is I want this place holder to push the other div below it and no scroll.

OR

Like in a sub menu (Symbol in mycase ) - The items in each submenu of every menu varies. say 2 to 10 items. I dont want to reserve the space when I want to display only 2 and dont want to overshoot if I have reserved space for less.

• 3. Re: How to make the height of the div auto
              elainecc Adobe Employee

Hi, Vinay-

You can set the overflow on your symbol to "visible," and it should display your dynamic elements just fine.  The size of the div is set at author-time, though you can definitely change the symbol stage size after you create it - you can just click on the symbol substage and then change the size of the div there.  However, if you have elements that are spilling over your symbol boundaries, setting the overflow to visible should solve your problem.

-Elaine

• 4. Re: How to make the height of the div auto
                Vinay Nellagi Level 1

Thanks Elaine, But the Symbols overlap on the existing DIVs below.. However, if that is how it works i need to look for a work around.