6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2013 5:34 PM by tfbkny

convert to symbol unavailable (grayed out)

tfbkny Level 1

In this older and now read-only post, Sarah stated that only compositions created with Edge offers such ability because the way symbols work it's quite complex. Is that still the case?

If so that should be at the top of the list of the wishlist as conversion of even simple existing pages is not possible. Although complex, it should be quite feasible to gather the structure of the page (for instance a few nested div elements) and "wrap them" into a new structure as if it were elements created using edge. What it seems to be necessary is a parser which may require some user input upon "n from non Edge-generate html" so that if missing info are indeed the case, the user can then provide them at the time of conversion.

Not trying to trivialize or over-simplifying the matter in any way, but I know that it's definitely possible (and valuable) to have such feature in future updates.

It may require to come up with a new magic scroll, spell and potions and gathering perhaps rare legendary ingredients from far away lands by the Edge Animate Wizards and Fairies, but I know it can be accomplished... if you don't believe look at the first iteration of Edge and look at it now! I rest my case

Paraphrasing the reply that Wherner Von Braun gave to JFK when asked what it would take to put a man on the moon... "all that's needed it's the will to do it"

Cheers!

tfbkny

• 1. Re: convert to symbol unavailable (grayed out)
          RuesterProd Level 1

Is this currently the case? That there's no way in the current version to create symbols from existing divs? Is it possible through js code, to turn my existing div into a symbol that Edge Animate recognizes?

• 2. Re: convert to symbol unavailable (grayed out)
            tfbkny Level 1

It'll be unlikely, you will need to recreate them. The "symbol" paradigm in Edge are divs handled by Edge's underlying "framework" where you can still import your project create symbols using the elements in your original work then export them to be reimported in a new project... a bit laborious I know... I had the same issue, but I don't think much has changed unfortunately. In general I found it to be faster to just rebuild from scratch than deal with import/export and fixes of various kinds :|

Best of luck with your work RuesterProd.

Cheers!

tfbkny

• 3. Re: convert to symbol unavailable (grayed out)
              RuesterProd Level 1

Thanks tfbkny! I was considering building from the ground up, but my problem lies in the fact that I am using two jQuery plugins inside a div that already exists - I am using Videolightbox, and quicksand to filter the content (The green and black shiny buttons on this page : http://www.ruesterprod.com/edgeTest_c/ )

...I am not sure how to build this from the ground up... The video on the top of the page sits in one div (Which I could build) but the 2nd div contains those buttons and the functionality I want to keep... not sure how I would do that... do you have any suggestions?

• 4. Re: convert to symbol unavailable (grayed out)
                tfbkny Level 1

I see, well there are still tradeoffs when using Edge and one of them is the use of plugins. Whenever you are using a plugin you can do so but knowing that those won't be supported. Edge isn't yet a tool that could be extended with open source jQuery plugins. Unfortunately that's a limitation although it helps to have an environment that won't break because of a change to external plugins. If you have some experience with plugins and scripts that is usually a huge pain to deal with because there could be incompatibilities between releases (because of new or obsolete features) and managing something like that is a nightmare for both end users and developer who maintain the system accepting 3rd party plugins.

On a side note your site when sorting the thumbs cuts them off after the sorting animation... for instance from all videos to Commercials the new thumbs are shown for amost half in hight (Mac OS X and latest Chrome). The whole animation thingy is all nice and dandy but given you don't seem to have the need to manage and sort hundreds of items, you may be better off using something other than that plugin. As far as videolightbox there should be a way to keep it within that separate div to keep it working as it does now. The drawback there is that you will need to keep manual edits to that div.

Also keep in mind that you can use separate Edge compositions within one page then you can place them together manually in your final site. That will allow use of Edge animations and at the same time plugins that at this time aren't usable/editable within Edge itself.

I'd suggest creating an "idea" within the forum which is something that I requested a while back on the old Edge forum I believe (before it got called "Animate")... it's quite an undertaking to allow the addition of plugins to make them available to Edge Animate users, but if you don't suggest it to the wizards in the Edge Animate Team, they will never know that the user community is asking for it... have fait I asked lots of stuff and they've been great implementing quite a few of them! So they are listening indeed!   Best of luck with your site!

Cheers!

tfbkny

• 5. Re: convert to symbol unavailable (grayed out)
                  RuesterProd Level 1

Thanks again tfbkny!

tfbkny wrote:

Also keep in mind that you can use separate Edge compositions within one page then you can place them together manually in your final site. That will allow use of Edge animations and at the same time plugins that at this time aren't usable/editable within Edge itself.

...so are you saying I can import an edge composition into another edge composition and turn that into a symbol?

• 6. Re: convert to symbol unavailable (grayed out)
                    tfbkny Level 1

"are you saying I can import an edge composition into another edge composition and turn that into a symbol?"

I wish... no that's not what I meant. You can only (to date) export symbols to be imported in another project's library. You can't do the same with entire compositions.

What you can do is to place multiple compositions on a single webpage, though you will have to do so manually editing the code (script, style, body) in your page to add content from the compositions you want to add to the page. Hope that clarifies things a bit...

Cheers!

tfbkny