38 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2017 2:19 PM by katiea77963120

Turning off incremental renaming when duplicating?

tristansummers Level 1

Hi all.

Is there a way to STOP my old friend After Effects from adding a number to items I duplicate?

This "feature" causes me nothing but confusion, and I waste a lot of time everyday renaming things because of it.

If I have ten things, and I duplicate number 3, it becomes number 11. How am I meant to know it is a new version of number 3?

I would rather rename it myself based on the item's actual name, ideally by being highlighted automatically when I duplicate.

Am sure it must be in a preferences file somewhere?

If not then I will have to log it as feature request.

Tris

• 1. Re: Turning off incremental renaming when duplicating?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm not sure I follow you. If you have 10 things with the same name (PreComp 1 through  PreComp 10) and you duplicate PreComp 3 then it makes sense and is perfectly logical to name the next one PreComp 11.

All you have to do to get a new sequence of duplicates is change the name before you duplicate. The numbering starts over. The proper workflow would be to add an identifier to PreComp 3 so that the geneology would become clear. IOW, PreComp 3 becomes PreComp 3-1. Now you can keep track of the duplicates. This works in the Timeline as well as in the Project Panel. It's only 5 extra keystrokes. Enter (to edit the name) Right Arrow (to move to the end) -1 (to make the change) Enter to save the change, then Ctrl/Cmnd + d to duplicate the asset or layer. It takes me less than 2 seconds.

I can see the usefulness of maybe adding a modifier key to the duplicate shortcut to do this automatically. Maybe something like Alt/Option + Cmnd/Ctrl + D to add the dash one to the name. That might be a valid feature request but frankly, naming assets is something that I do all the time and it never has taken me more than a couple of seconds.

In the Project Panel, everything is assigned a number when duplicated. There is no preference setting for that. In the Timeline, if you don't enter a new name the duplicate keeps the original name. If you rename the layer the duplicate gets a number assigned. This is also perfectly logical.

Having the same name for an asset in the Project Panel is possible because you can import two files with the same name or import the same file twice. This is a bad workflow idea. Really bad. AE can keep track of which source is which, but can you? Not likely.

• 2. Re: Turning off incremental renaming when duplicating?
            tristansummers Level 1

Hi

I understand the logic, I just don't want it, at all.

I want full control of my own naming.

I also want filename sto stay the same as they are in the finder.

If I import a file I certainly do not want it renaming, even if there is already that name in my comp.

I do not want after effects renaming anything for me.

At the moment, when I duplicate something, I have to delete the incremental number, then rename.

The only option I have is to never ever have a number in a filename, but I do not always have control over that.

Many filenames end in a numeric date, which AE keeps incrementing.

I understand that this is a logical and useful feature, I just really want to turn it off.

Also, I often import vector files twice, once as comp size and once as layer size, so I have the anchor points of individual objects if I need them.

I hate that AE will then increment the filename of the comp AND the folder.

I have my files organised by number(shot_001, shot_002...), but if I bring in duplicates AE increments, and my sequence is thrown out.

Or if I am picking up a project from naother animator, and they have brought in an AI file and worked straight on the Comp, I often want to reimport the comp and know what it is, and  find it again, which I can't if it has been renamed.

I often have a template project that I then rename as appropriate, and the renaming isn't always at the end.

This may seem petty, but through the course of the day, on some projects, I am losing about an hour a day to this.

Am sure the only work arund is to change filenaming conventions and never duplicate anything!

Tris

• 3. Re: Turning off incremental renaming when duplicating?

You said you don't want the files names to stay the same as they are in the finder. (I think you mean the Projet Panel) They don't change unless you duplicate them. You can import the same file as many times as you like and the name will always be the same. It would be confusing, inefficient, and make a big project a nightmare if you had a bunch of different footage with the same name. Duplicating an asset in the Project Panel and assigning a number to that lets you know that it's a duplicate. Makes it unique, but if it's footage it makes no sense to do that to me. Duplicate footage in the project panel serves no purpose. It's just duplicate links the the same file. Your example of layered files (.ai and photoshop) in two versions makes a little sense but I can tell you that I've been using AE since version 1 and I've never done that. I can't imageine a situation where it would speed up the workflow.

I think there's a basic flaw in your workflow. If you want full control of your naming you have to take it when you duplicate a layer and not wait until later when you're looking for a lost asset. Duplicate, hit the enter key, type in the new name. No clicking, no looking, no extra steps. Cmnd/Ctrl + D + Enter new name. All keystrokes, no mouse, no click, no added work.

If you turned off automatically numbering of named layers or items in the project panel then you'll end up with duplicates with the same name. Two Main Comp's in the project panel are more than confusing especially when you come back to the project six months layer. I don't see an advantage. I only see a disadvantage. You still end up with exactly the same problem, two copies of asset 3, one of which needs a new name.

My normal workflow is to press Ctrl/Cmnd D then Enter, then type in a new name. All Done, Complete control.

If I have a series of things that I'm duplicating then I just set a name that makes sense and add a number. IOW PreComp 1 for example. Then Ctrl/Cmnd D gives me a series that's unique. Duplicate 20 times I've got 20 new comps with number identifiers.

I can't figure out how turning off numbering saves any time, a single keystroke, or makes things easier to find.

• 4. Re: Turning off incremental renaming when duplicating?
                tristansummers Level 1

HI

Thanks or answering sir, and I totally get what you are saying. I do not mean to waste anyone's time or insult anyone at all.

If you are working solely in after effects there is some logic to it. I know why the feature exists and I know how unorganised most after effects artists are and this feature helps them. I personally know what everything is in my project and where it came from and organise it so this is obvious to anyone else who opens it.

I really want the project structure to mirror the finder as closely as possible, (so I do not have to deal with the mess of "collect files")

But you do not always want or need new names.

I may use the same asset in a timeline a hundred times, in different places, and it does not need a new name.

it confuses me because I will have a different asset in the project already called the next number in the sequence.

but if I duplicate a layer in the timeline it will increment the number, and I have to rename it

fine you say.

But what if I duplicate 400?

Now they are all wrong.

(I do a lot of sequencing layers, a lot of split layers so as to change anchor points.)

My main issue though is maintaining assets for whose source files have numeric names outside of AE.

(It was actually easier back when it went copy, copy 1, copy 2 (apart from it not padding and puttin 10 after 1 but hey...))

At least then you had the original filename for reference. If I could at least set it to go 1, 1 2, 1 3, by default so I didn't lose anything at thge point of duplication.

What happens is I have 10 source files. Each one is a composition for a different scene. I duplicate number 3. But then I do not know that it was number 3, as it is now called 11.

If I accidentally reimport number 3 it is now call 11. What if I haven't brought in file number 11? Now when I do import it, it gets called 12. I have a wrong 11 and a wrong 12.

But I guess it does make more sense for me to change.

I guess it is just a "new" (maybe version 6?) feature I just never got used to?

It is a feature for the unorganised, that hinders the organised, like speed bumps!

Thanks

Tris 2

• 5. Re: Turning off incremental renaming when duplicating?

I had written another long explanation and then it dawned on me. You just want to see the original source name in the timeline. I think you get that Duplicating items in the Project panel is a waste of time if it's footage because the footage doesn't change, and is necessary if your duplicating comps so you can keep them straight.

To see the original source name in the timeline just click where it says layer name. You have two options. Layer Name and Source Name. The first time you rename a layer the display will switch to Layer Name. Footage not renamed will have square brackets around the name. Renamed layers will not. The original names are always available and searchable. Layer names are also searchable.

I find no hindrance at being organized. Like you, I'm amazed how unorganized most AE work is. I can find any layer I am looking for or any source file in an project going back more than 15 years. I worked on a project more than a year ago that had more than 900 layers from an Illustrator file with over 250 layers. (many ai layers in the timeline were dups). Last week I had to open up that file and change 20 layers, add a dozen new, redo the audio track, change the timing of most of the last half of the project. The redo took about 2 hours. The Search field in the Timeline, a vastly underutilized feature, and layer names reduced my work load considerably. A logo was used about 20 times. I typed logo (the first letters of new layer name logo 1 - logo 20 if I remember right) in the Timeline Search field and every other layer disappeared. I selected them all (Cmnd/Ctrl + a) selected the new Logo file imported into the project, held down the Alt/Option key and dragged from the PP to the TL and replaced them all with a single move. That would have been a pain without a solid naming convention.

That paragraph was probably not necessary.

If you don't want to add sequence numbers to layers you duplicate in the timeline don't rename them in the first place. Don't duplicate items in the Project Panel if you don't intend to change the name and change them.

Screen Shot 2012-10-03 at 10.53.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2012-10-03 at 10.52.42 AM.png

• 6. Re: Turning off incremental renaming when duplicating?
                    tristansummers Level 1

Thanks again.

But I know.

But it's not that.

I just want to be able to turn off After Effects ability to automatically rename anything and leave me to do it myself!

I love that it does it, it helps with lots of things, I just don't want it!

I want to be able to duplicate an imported AI comp and then move to my PreComp folder without having to delete the " 2" off of it

I want to be able to name layers and duplicate them to my hearts content without them having incremental names

But I will get by without it!

• 7. Re: Turning off incremental renaming when duplicating?

So how do you tell the difference between your imported AI comp and the duplicate if you do not rename the dupe? I'm confused? If there's no difference in the duplicate, why duplicate it. If you do something different with in the dupe comp then why not rename it so you can find it?

• 8. Re: Turning off incremental renaming when duplicating?
                        tristansummers Level 1

So.

Source Material lives in Assets/Vector in the finder, and the project ("(Footage)" crashes out on some servers)

So I import that vector file into a source assets folder called "Vectors"

I duplicate that and move it to my "Comps" folder to be animated.

That way you have the full, untainted original file to use again for differnt versions.

If I don't do this, I have to re-import the file again.

It then gets renamed with an incorrect and confusing version number, and I have duplicates of all the layers I do not need.

It is about clearly defining source assets and working comps.

Nobody else I know seems to do this, but it is practice based on years of tidying up other people's comps.

I am just trying to make After Effects projects as lucid and readable as possible to others.

I agree that two items with the same name is confusing, I just want to be able to do that myself, at will!

What I am learning here though is that the deeper you get into a peice of software, the more you want to customise it it, probably pointlesssly!

Thanks for all help though!

Tris

• 9. Re: Turning off incremental renaming when duplicating?

As I understand your folder structure now it looks something like this:

1. Folder for Comp 1
                            • Folder Vectors A
                              • asset 1
                              • asset 2
                              • asset 3
                          2. Folder for Comp 2
                            • Folder Vectors A
                              • asset 1
                              • asset 2
                              • asset 3
                          3. Folder for Comp 3
                            • Folder Vectors A
                              • asset 1
                              • asset 2
                              • asset 3
                          4. Folder for Comp 4
                            • Folder Vectors A
                              • asset 1
                              • asset 2
                              • asset 3

This may work for you but back when I ran a team working on a huge project this would have confused everybody. It makes as much sense to me as duplicating folders on your hard drive. Put in a production environment that would be disastrous. When the main logo must be edited who knows which copy of the logo in which folder is now the right one.

You have a little more protection in AE because all of the duplicate folders in the Project for Folder Vectors A still point to the same asset. For me it's cleaner to have all assets in their own folders. My folder structure for projects exactly matches the folder structure and naming conventions on the network or on the hard drives. Everything is always in the same place. It looks like this in the finder:

Screen Shot 2012-10-04 at 4.52.09 AM.png

The ending number is a date string formatted year month day so they always sort chronologically. All work for a given client lives in a numbered client folder. Even without a search I can find any project, any asset from any date for any client by simply going to that client's number and scrolling to the right date.

We keep all assets are logged in a database that can be queried from any device with a browser and an Internet connection. All revisions are tracked in the database. There are no duplicate files for anything on the working drives. Change the Master Assets Company Logo and every project for that client gets the change automatically. Old logo versions are archived so we can go back at any time with a single file rename.

This example is from an AE animation with more than 900 layers from .ai files that have between 250 and 3 layers. See the audio change on 20120916 and the new AEP on the same date. That was an update of the file that took (don't tell the client - about an hour because it was easy to replace things, make timing adjustments, and get the job done in a profitable manner. I replaced about 40 layers with new artwork in about 20 seconds, replaced the audio track in about 10 seconds, and spent the rest of the time fine tuning the timing. This re-do was a painless moneymaker because everything is organized.

Here's what the AE Project looks like:

Screen Shot 2012-10-04 at 5.21.48 AM.png

I didn't spin down the ArtWork folder because there are 9 Imported AI as a Comp folders in there as well as a half dozen or more other artwork files.

The search field in the Timeline allowed me to locate layers in the comp that I had duplicated and renamed and isolate them faster than any other method. I think it took 3 keystrokes. The search field in the Project Panel located the new Illustrator layer that was to replace the 40 or so layers in the comp (scattered over 5 minutes). Ctrl/Cmnd + a selected all the visible layers in the timeline. Alt/Option + drag from the Project Panel replaced all instances of the footage. The new audio track was added to the comp. The timing of these layers was adjusted to fit the audio. The comp was duplicated twice to create a total of 3 versions for other minor changes and color adjustments.

There are no duplicate resource references in the project panel. Anyone could have opened this project and made the changes. It's easy for the database to keep track of everything. There's only one place to search for footage, audio, and artwork.

I'm not trying to convert you, just to show you how I have organized projects for 40 years when there are hundreds even thousands of assets in a project that have to be looked at by dozens of people. Before we had computers to keep track of things we had ledger books, file cabinets, and racks for the film. I learned these organizational skills from an editor with a dozen feature films to her credit and a production manager with 30 years in Hollywood. All of these procedures are published in my Quality Assurance / Quality Control manual. The goal is a system that minimizes the probability of errors and has a simple reporting strategy. Answer 3 questions about any project and you know if procedure was followed and if you are using the right materials.

• 10. Re: Turning off incremental renaming when duplicating?
                            tristansummers Level 1

Hi

Thanks for your knowledge, which I wholly agree with.

No, that is not at all my folder structure, mine much more closely matches yours, only I would not have seperate footage folders for different stages of the work. I like to keep everything at one level if possible so a single file is quicker to locate, and use naming to differentiate dates and versions.

You basically have the same structure as I do.

I am saying that I like to keep an untouched copy of any imported AI file in my Assets (Footage) folder, which I duplicate and move the resultant Comp into my Comps folder. So Assets exactly matches the finder.

(If only you could have LIVE folders so any footage you added in the finder was added to the Project)

I am also saying that as I have date based filenames for source files, to keep track of versioning, AfterEffects renames them if I duplicate them, confusing matters.

So if I am doing different versions of animation for the same source file comp, I want to have control over naming them.

If I do different versions of animating individual layers within those comps, I want to name them.

I am finding AE adding increments often complicates things.

If I already have a list, say of Illustrator layers, and After effects renames, I do not easily know which layer it actually is.

I am more comfortable having duplicate names that I then make my own differentiation on.

But I guess I just have to watch things VERY carefully whenever I import and duplicate.

I don't use search much as I am terrible at typing and it can take time. When I finally realised that the timeline one only works when you have nothing selectyed I started using it quite a bit. I never open the effects panel as it takes so long to open.

Tris

• 11. Re: Turning off incremental renaming when duplicating?

The footage is always separated by date because that represents production days and there can be hundreds of shots produced in a day.

OTT, I still can't see the need to duplicate the folder that contains footage or illustrator layers.

BTW, if you have your AI imported as a comp folder in the project panel, and you duplicate the folder, the footage in the folder does not get renamed. Note the .ai as a comp General Part 2 Icons Comp and the Layers folder, then the Layers 2 (duplicated folder)

Screen Shot 2012-10-04 at 9.47.21 AM.png

• 12. Re: Turning off incremental renaming when duplicating?
                                tristansummers Level 1

NO

me neither

I don't duplicate folders.

?

I duplicate the illustrator COMP so I have it unedited.

(EVENmore off thread, if only collecting files let you NOT put illustrator files like those above in their own folder and leave them in the same structure they are in in the finder...)

• 13. Re: Turning off incremental renaming when duplicating?
                                  tristansummers Level 1

UPDATE

That was in CS5 or 5.5 bug.

Am freelancing on CS6 and it seems to be:

existing file = "file001"

duplicate file becomes "file001 2"

instead of the VERY confusing

"file001"

becomes

"file002"

which conflicted with existing "file002"

Thanks for listening.

There was however nothing wrong with the old "file001", becomes "file001 copy", "file001copy 01" behaviour

I still think it might be good to make it customisable. As I do not want it renamed as I am just duplicating to preserve an untouched version of the original comp, which then matches the AI file.

Tris

• 14. Re: Turning off incremental renaming when duplicating?
                                    tristansummers Level 1

Oh no, that was just Comps.

All I do ALL day is select "2" and delete, and considering my deadlines...

mind you I am typing this...

hmm

or more annoyingly select "I HAVE JUST ADDED A 1 TO YOUR FILENAME " and delete and try to remember what it was before, now it no longer matches the list it was part of.

so it goes, duplicate, select, rename.

instead of just duplicate rename, or just duplicate because you really do not always want a unique name

Just please let me stop this.

Oh stop moaning Tristan!

• 15. Re: Turning off incremental renaming when duplicating?
                                      tristansummers Level 1

THREE YEARS LATER

Asking again HAS ANYBODY found a way to stop this???

I duplicate my carefully rigged animation. Now I do not know which is item 4 say as it is now called item 26, or 457, or whatever.

I do not know which is the correct date and version because After Effects changed them was well

it is a total mess and I want to be able to stop it.

Someone MUST have written a script somewhere that will duplicate things INCLUDING their ACTUAL name

• 16. Re: Turning off incremental renaming when duplicating?

It makes no sense to me to have a bunch of comps in a project panel with the same name. If you are talking about footage in the timeline and you want to see the original source name then just click the column in the timeline to switch between the custom layer name and the source name. I also don't understand why anyone would want to have 10 layers in a timeline with the same name. It would make it hard for me to figure out what each of the layers were doing.

• 17. Re: Turning off incremental renaming when duplicating?
                                          tristansummers Level 1

Hi.

I do not really care that you are still unable to see why I want it. I want it

A lot.

I have explained quite a few times already.

I guess by your objections that it is not possible. Which means you can't use numbers on the end of any filenames in After Effects, as they will get ruined if you ever duplicate them

Ok here I go again...

I just want to name my own things, because AfterEffects is ruining things by adding unnecessary and directly confusing numbers to things.

I need, really, really need to be able to turn off the renaming

Perhaps you never have to make multiple versions of things, but I have to do lots and lots of different designs and versions of things and I need to have control over what they are called.

I guess what I am saying is that the number on the end of a filename can refer to a lot of very different and very useful things, dates, the number of a different element to which it is linked etc.,  and if they get renamed it gets very confusing, if not impossible, to manage.

I need to re-use elements, and re-version things, but if all the interdependent items keep getting renamed it gets very confusing.

If in a comp I have element 1, element 2... element 1298 etc, but I need to duplicate ten of them to try something different, it is of no use to me to now have them called number 1299, 1300. they now no longer reference what they were called.

these could be 25 different elements, ,they could have dates on the, I could have arm 1, leg 1 which will now be leg 25 when they are for person 1.

Or I may want to duplicate a whole nested comp but keep all the internal comps named the same, say with TruComp Duplicator

Tris

• 19. Re: Turning off incremental renaming when duplicating?
                                            tristansummers Level 1

Hi, sorry for my frustration, but my original question was, "Is there a way to turn off the incremental naming?"

I asked a simple question, and the only response I get is, "Why would you want that?" Which I explained.

I really do not mean to be rude, Rick is great and helped so much over the years, but he is sort of stuck on this point.

It is like going to he doctor and asking for a flu jab and them asking why you don't want flu.

As an example:

"I'm not sure I follow you. If you have 10 things with the same name (PreComp 1 through  PreComp 10) and you duplicate PreComp 3 then it makes sense and is perfectly logical to name the next one PreComp 11."

Well, How do i find the new version of PreComp 3 now? How would I know it was eleven? And what happens when I import the ACTUAL Comp 11? Well it gets named 12. Which is wrong. So now I am in a mess.

It was fine as it used to be. (Copy, Copy 1, Copy 2) easy to ignore, didn't ruin existing numerical sequences.

But then it changed to renaming, changing and adding actual numbers, not using Copy, which ruins existing numerical sequence.

Sorry for using numbers to help organise things, I guess I take after the Babylonians on that one.

Thanks but I know about renaming scripts. I just want to be able to stop After Effects auto-renaming, and I can't quite believe nobody else has a problem with it.

Am not sure where else I can ask.

And it is not just for me. I am asking on a forum so others can benefit. Again, sorry for sounding rude. I really don't mean it, the English have a different relationship to politeness and informality it seems. All meant to be friendly, I assure you

Tris

• 20. Re: Turning off incremental renaming when duplicating?
                                              tristansummers Level 1

Or to put it another way, I am really really grateful for all the time Rick has spent answering this question.

It is just quite insulting and condescending to have somebody question your carefully managed workflows, and considerable experience, when the question was about altering something in After Effects, that never used to be there, that has made things worse and  is causing problems.

I shall try to make everyone I work with, and every project I work on NOT have a number on the end of a filename, and continue to spend literally hours of my day renaming unnecessarily renamed elements in After Effects.

Sigh

• 21. Re: Turning off incremental renaming when duplicating?
                                                StormyCPb Level 3

have you posted the suggestion to Adobe?

• 22. Re: Turning off incremental renaming when duplicating?
                                                  StormyCPb Level 3

I see nothing wrong with questioning someones 'carefully managed workflows, and considerable experience' because it doesn't necessarily make one wise to all. We all are capable of learning something new no matter how long we've been in the industry. I see nothing wrong with AE creating a distinction between a duplicate, but perhaps having some control over that distinction might be good, and suggested to Adobe themselves.

• 23. Re: Turning off incremental renaming when duplicating?
                                                    tristansummers Level 1

HI

Thanks

Yes. I have asked Adobe. Many times.

I guess it doesn't bother anyone else, just like nobody else thinks scopes would be a useful feature in a compositing application.

I am searching for a workaround.

I must be explaining myself terribly badly if nobody can understand the problem.

I have many comps called Comp 1, Comp 2.

If I duplicate Comp 2 I still need to know it is a copy of Comp 2, because Comp 3, or 4 are entirely different Comps

Before CS6 it would get called Comp 2 Copy.

This meant I still knew which Comp I had duplicated.

If I have many Numbered Layers and I duplicate them, I need to know which Layers they used to be.

If I import an Asset named Chapter 3, I do not want it to be changed to Chapter 4 just because there is already a Chapter 3. I may have different Chapter 3s. I know what it is because I know where I am putting it.

All I am saying is that it is MY job to organise the project how I see fit, and that After Effects adding numbers to things has totally ruined a lot of organisation, in much the same way as Auto correct does while typing.

Thanks everybody for recommending different ways of working, but they simply do not work for me.

If I can think of a more obvious way of explaining the problem I will.

Tris

• 24. Re: Turning off incremental renaming when duplicating?

"never used to be there"

Sorry to be so condescending but it's always been there. Been using AE daily for more than 20 years now and I've never had problems duplicating or naming layers in AE, Photoshop, Illustrator or any other app because I name them as I go. In the timeline or in the project panel, renaming after a duplicate is normal and standard in my workflow.

My condescending suggestion to you is to try and figure out a workflow that works with the way the tool works and if you want something changed put in a feature request. If enough people put in a request for a feature then any manufacturer will eventually respond and make a decent effort to comply. Personally I don't know what use it would be to duplicate a comp in the project panel and keep the same name. Now if you forget to rename it you'll have a devil of a time finding it again. Sorry, but you have not explained at all how having 10 comps in your project panel named Pre-comp 3 is more beneficial than having individual names followed by a number.

I'm done. Don't mean to be condescending but IMHO I can not see any situation in any project where having a bunch of assets or layers with the same name is beneficial.

• 25. Re: Turning off incremental renaming when duplicating?
                                                        StormyCPb Level 3

I don't get it either and I've been using AE for 15 years.... not that it's a 'who's been using AE the longest wins' competition.

Just put an underscore after your initial number or something to create differential but keep the initial numbering similarity...

• 26. Re: Turning off incremental renaming when duplicating?
                                                          tristansummers Level 1

Artwork supplies me with an AI file " AssetForChapter3_20150713"

Duplicating that makes it " AssetForChapter3_20150714"  which is tomorrow, and incorrect

Artwork supplies me with File with Layer 1, Layer 2, Layer 3.

Duplicating them makes it Layer 4, Layer 5, Layer 6 which is incorrect and wrong

If I didn't have to make multiple tests of multiple layers in multiple comps on multiple dates with elements that had to be kept in sequential order and wanted to manually rename three hundred files it would be fine.

Likewise all century.

• 27. Re: Turning off incremental renaming when duplicating?
                                                            Dave LaRonde Level 6

It sounds like you just need a different strategy for working within the system.

Say you have 50 different comps in the project.  You need to duplicate Comp 14.  And you know what's coming -- the duplicate will be named Comp 51.

Well, just change the name!  Once you've duplicated the comp, rename it as Comp 14 Copy!  Need another duplicated comp 14?  Duplicate Comp 14 Copy!  It becomes Comp 14 Copy2!

Really... how tough is that?  How much time does it take out of your day?  How set are you in your ways that you can't zag a little when Adobe zigs?  I'll grant you that a change such as you describe is annoying, but it's not insurmountable.

• 28. Re: Turning off incremental renaming when duplicating?
                                                              StormyCPb Level 3

Get Artwork to supply you with an AI file " AssetForChapter3_20150713_"

Duplicating that makes it " AssetForChapter3_20150713_1"  which would work

Have Artwork supply you with File with Layer 1_, Layer 2_, Layer 3_.

Duplicating them makes it Layer 1_1, Layer 2_1, Layer 2_1.... solved

• 29. Re: Turning off incremental renaming when duplicating?
                                                                tristansummers Level 1

Hi all.

Is there a way to STOP my old friend After Effects from adding a number to items I duplicate?

This "feature" causes me nothing but confusion, and I waste a lot of time everyday renaming things because of it.

If I have ten things, and I duplicate number 3, it becomes number 11. How am I meant to know it is a new version of number 3?

I would rather rename it myself based on the item's actual name, ideally by being highlighted automatically when I duplicate.

Am sure it must be in a preferences file somewhere?

If not then I will have to log it as feature request.

Tris

• 30. Re: Turning off incremental renaming when duplicating?
                                                                  tristansummers Level 1

Thanks again for all your advice.

But I am looking for a way of disabling the number incrementing, because it causes incorrect reults.

I hoped somebody knew a way to hack a preference file or run a script.

Sure small manageable projects I can cope with, but there are occasions where I would love to disable this incrementing.

Sorry nobody seems to get this.

I work freelance. I arrive. I work with what I am given. I have one day to do a week's work. Using bulk renamed to add_ to everything every time I import stuff slows me dow. I am drip fed artwork from multiple sources, not always under my control.

the sensible approach to this is, and was, "Copy, Copy 1, Copy 2" which LEFT THE ORIGINAL FILENAME INTACT.

But it got changed.

And sometimes the increment is useful.

But sometimes it is disastrous.

• 31. Re: Turning off incremental renaming when duplicating?
                                                                    sideonshore Level 1

Well, i kind of have the same issue or lack of functionallity.

Let me explain why it would be nice to turn off this incremental renaming when duplicating.

We are running timelapse cameras for a duration of about a year or so. The images these cameras capturing will be saved in folders on a server with this naming convention "yyyy-mm-dd", for EACH single day. (because the cameras just capturing from first light to sunset, every 2 minutes a picture).

Now what I am doing in after effects is importing each day as a single image sequence and make a composition from each one. This is the point where after effects fu**s upmy naming convention. For example I imported Sequence "2015_09_01" drag it onto the "make comp button" and the composition is automatically renamed to "2015_09_02"... this is in this case really not what i want. Now imagine to rename about 365 image sequences by hand...time consuming... Any hints, for a better workflow?

So, i fully understand tristansummers problem

• 32. Re: Turning off incremental renaming when duplicating?
                                                                      StormyCPb Level 3

You're importing the folder and then creating the sequence in AE or importing just the sequence?

• 33. Re: Turning off incremental renaming when duplicating?
                                                                        StormyCPb Level 3

how about placing a letter at the end of your yy/mm/dd, just an A or whatever, to break the auto-naming convention?

• 34. Re: Turning off incremental renaming when duplicating?
                                                                          tristansummers Level 1

I don't want workarounds, I want to turn it off. You may always get to create your own assets but I certainly don't and surprisingly enough many files end in numbers and I NEED, I mean really NEED After Effects to stop adding numbers to files imported or duplicated. Believe me there are times when it is just CATASTROPHIC and if you have not found that then you are very lucky indeed

• 35. Re: Turning off incremental renaming when duplicating?
                                                                            Jon M

I have followed this thread wanting exactly the same thing for certain project workflows. Sometimes this incremental naming works perfect for me and I wish PPRO would do the same. Other times I wish I could turn it off as it impedes my workflow. Depends on what exactly I am doing. I am sorry no one could give you a straight answer without questioning your methodology. I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone and I appreciate your experience and your workflow efficiencies. Cheers.

• 36. Re: Turning off incremental renaming when duplicating?
                                                                              gregl99036888

Also looking for a way to turn this feature off. When I create a new comp from a footage clip, it names the comp according to the footage except that it auto increments the name, causing the comp name to no longer match the clip like I need. Manually renaming takes time and if I forget or don't catch it, my workflow is messed up.

Its a case of taking control away from the user in order to make things easier, when in many cases such as stated above it makes things more difficult. Would be great if this could be turned off in AE.

• 38. Re: Turning off incremental renaming when duplicating?
                                                                                katiea77963120

Came here looking for the same thing. Not really sure why the response here is essentially brushing off the request as silly(?).. it's a pretty direct question. fwiw, since it seems people are demanding a reason why this is a request, the company I work for has code looking directly at composition names - and I need to duplicate compositions often. When it auto-renames 20+ layers, that's 20+ layers I have to manually RENAME in after effects. This is why this feature is annoying. At least in my specific case.