3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2012 8:03 AM by the_wine_snob

.mpg files being overscanned

JamieTSteel

Hi all

Working on a project and I have exported my files as .mpg file types to be looped throughout the day. I have exported them as PAL DVD Widescreen at a frame size of 720 by 576, 25 FPS. WThe final file types play fine when opened in VLC or WMP. However when I put them on a memory pen and play them through the USB port of a TV they instantly become overscanned and I am losing the edges from my video files. I am just wondering if that could be something I am doing wrong causing the file to be overscanned when being played on a TV, or if is the TV itself (have tried aspect ratio settings, no over scan settings).

I would also like to note that when I play the video directly from the PC to the TV through a cable it plays fine, no 'zooming in' appears. The overscanning only seems to appear when being played from a USB pen from the TVs USB port. Anyone heard of such a problem before?

• 1. Re: .mpg files being overscanned
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Most TV sets do have some level of overscan. That is why the Action Safe and Title Safe Areas are used - to allow for that overscan. Older CRT TV's were quite a bit worse, than newer sets, some of which have almost zero overscan.

With the older CRT TV's, that overscan was quite pronounced. If you were to compare their displays with that from a PAL (or NTSC) broadcast monitor, you would see that they lost about 10%. Once, the areas on the periphery of the image had timing marks, and color calibration bars, to help the engineers in a TV station, plan for commercials, and also calibrate their signal, regarding Gamma and color. That area was never seen by the viewer at home, in most cases.

My first test would be to view those MPEG's, from the thumb drive, on a different TV set. If that test TV is a different make/model, the amount of overscan will likely differ.

If you do see a change, however slight, then you know that the problem IS just the overscan. You have two options, at that point: you can accept that there will be overscan, an the viewed image will differ, viewer to viewer, depending on their equipment, or, you can Scale the Clips on your Timeline down, just a bit, leaving small black bars on all sides. Then, on a few TV's, those will be seen, but probably not really noticed, and then on certain TV's, the full Frame will be seen.

If you are only viewing on one particular TV, and not sending out via broadcast, you only have to Scale the Frame down to work with THAT TV set.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: .mpg files being overscanned
            JamieTSteel Level 1

Hi Bill thanks for the reply!

Just check out the files on another TV (should really have tried that earlier) and they were perfect. We have bought two brand new TV's and they are overscanning them like crazy. I have old 4:3 ratio footage at the beginning of the video and have edded GIF files down either side as company logo's. A bit of extra blackscreen won't hurt too much if I HAVE to use these screens. But otherwise I have moved the side logo's in slightly and gave everything a slight crop.

Just a note not to buy cheap TV's

Thanks for your help Bill & have a nice day.

Jamie Steel

• 3. Re: .mpg files being overscanned
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Jamie,

I inferred that you were probably using particular TV's, for your display, and thanks for confirming that.

Glad that your tests confirmed my theory. Now, since you have control over those display TV's, it might be possible to actually adjust the degree of overscan, but that will depend entirely on the make/model of TV set. Some allow one to adjust the Raster up/down a bit, and usually from a Setup Menu.

Also, once you have determined the amount of overscan, whether adjustable, or not, you can interpolate that amount, relative to the Action Safe and Title Safe Areas, in their little overlay. Premiere Pro allows the editor to change the Action Safe, and Title Safe Area overlays, as needed. I do not think that PrE has that option, and one is left with only the 10% and 20% (IIRC) Safe Area overlay. If these TV's will be your ONLY display devices, you might want to create your own Safe Area overlay, just as one does with Alignment Grids, per this article: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/476984?tstart=30

Good luck,

Hunt