17 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2012 2:55 PM by the_wine_snob

Video playback jerky in premiere. why?

scifictor

I have dual core PC, 4 GB RAM running win XP SP3. I have loaded a few short clips (like 30-60 seconds each). When loading the clips, it says it is setting the project settings to match the video. I have not added any titles or effects. When I play any clip, the video jerks along in time. I have tried rendering first. Same results. Have tried wmv, mpeg and avi clips. All these play fine on this machine in pinnacle, windows movies maker, magix movie maker, and media player. There are no colored bars over the tops of the clips. What could the problem be? Needless to say I am disapointed in the product so far....

• 1. Re: Video playback jerky in premiere. why?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

Which version of Premiere Elements are you using? If version 10 or earlier, which project specs did you select when you set up your project? Have you rendered your timeline whenever you've seen red lines above your clips?

Depending on the format of the video you're editing and the project settings you chose, your problems could be the result of an improperly set-up project -- or it could be that you're trying to edit a format your computer isn't fast enough to handle.

• 2. Re: Video playback jerky in premiere. why?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Can you let us know a bit more about your system, and give us some more details about your version of PrE (assume PrE 11, because of your statement about letting PrE create the Project Preset for you), your Project and your Source Files?

With SD, and some HD material, the biggest bottleneck for playback is the computer's I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's, their speed, controller type, and how they are allocated.

With AVCHD, and all H.264 material, plus some other HD footage, then the CPU becomes the number 1 bottleneck, with I/O moving down to number 2. Installed RAM can play a part in the process, but is usually a distant number 3.

If you are using AVCHD, or any other H.264 material, that Duo-core CPU might just not be powerful enough to give you smooth, real-time playback.

Also, as there are differences in simple playback, in other programs, and playing the Timeline, one cannot make a direct comparison - the operations are just too different. See this article: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1066154?tstart=0

Good luck, and let us know a bit more, please - TIA

Hunt

• 3. Re: Video playback jerky in premiere. why?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Good morning Steve.

You type much more quickly, than I do. Must be the practice that you get writing all those Premiere books.

Seems that we are both thinking the same thing here, and that is comfort to me.

Good luck to the OP,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Video playback jerky in premiere. why?

Yes, Bill. Great minds do indeed think alike.

• 5. Re: Video playback jerky in premiere. why?
                  scifictor Level 1

Version = premier elements 10. The mpegs came from a sony camcorder (uploaded to the pc by sony pmb), images are 720x480. The wmv files I have tested were converted from sony PMB, or created by picassa (640x480). The AVI file I tested was created by pinnacle, with video originally from older camcorder. These are clips in the range of 2-10MB is size.  Like I mentioned, all these clips play fine in other apps. I have never seen playback this bad. None of them are in formats the system cant handle, unless Adobe is vastly inferior in its ability to simply play a clip. I looked at playback options - most choices are greyed out. Does that mean these formats are not recognized? Thanks

• 6. Re: Video playback jerky in premiere. why?

What model of Sony camcorder?

How was the video captured into your computer?

If you are using WMVs in Premiere Elements,  you're using a very inefficient workflow, which could well account for your performance issues.

• 7. Re: Video playback jerky in premiere. why?
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Did you click the link Hunt posted in message #2 and then go to the article about the difference in simple playback -vs- editing?

Do you only have one hard drive?

If you have the needed 2nd hard drive for video files (never a partition!!!) is it a 7200rpm drive?

ADDED - Also read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1071217

• 8. Re: Video playback jerky in premiere. why?
                        scifictor Level 1

I am not sure why the camcorder model is relevant. The camera saves the video on card, then sony PMB copies the mpeg file to the pc (unless I want to copy and paste the mpeg files via the os) I did read the info about editor vs viewer. If pinnacle, magix, and windows movie maker are all editors and can play a clip, then it does not seem likely that there is a system limitation - unless adobe is far less efficient. As an experiment, should it be able to smoothly play its own output? I bought this software because the others do not edit mpeg or mov formats. If I can't view clips good enought to edit - it is pretty useless to me   -except maybe as a overpriced converter. If I were doing heavy processing, a 2nd hard drive would be relevant. I am talking about a 2MB clip being viewed in the editor - would that really hit a disk hard??  If so - why do none other other (and cheaper) editors not have a problem? Thanks

• 9. Re: Video playback jerky in premiere. why?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

It could well be that PMB is doing something to the files, that PrE is not handling well.

I have seen similar with a few other pieces of camera software, but do not know about PMB.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Video playback jerky in premiere. why?
                            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>2nd hard drive would be relevant

A 2nd hard drive is always relevant for video editing

Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing

You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to various parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions

Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work

You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand

A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for EASY video editing

You need AT LEAST two hard drives (separate drives, never a partition http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708 for more) with Windows (or Mac OS) and software on your boot drive, and video files on a 2nd drive so the boot drive is not slowed down by trying to do everything

Also, Partition = Crash http://forums.adobe.com/thread/957286

• 11. Re: Video playback jerky in premiere. why?

And I'm not sure why you don't want to answer our questions. Whether or not your camcorder is an AVCHD model makes all the difference in the world!

If you're editing AVCHD, your system isn't nearly powerful enough.

• 12. Re: Video playback jerky in premiere. why?
                                scifictor Level 1

Sorry - not trying to dodge a question - just knew the camera was pre-HD - it is actually a sony DCR-SX41.  I tried turning off graphics accelleration and this has improved playback to usability on my testing last night. Looks like I need newer drivers for my graphics card and will pursue that. I will also use idea of rendering to 2nd hard drive. Thanks for your suggestions.

• 13. Re: Video playback jerky in premiere. why?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

For the video driver, do not trust your OS, or any driver utility to tell you if you have the latest driver - they will likely be at least 6 mos. out of date.

Go to the video card's/chip's mfgr's. Web site, and plug in your model of card, then your OS. Check the latest driver against the one that you have installed. If there is a newer one, download it, read the installation instructions (might be as simple as just running the executable, but you may need to do other things), and install the newer one.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Video playback jerky in premiere. why?

Out of date drivers can contribute to problems like this, Bill, but they wouldn't likely be the cause of the poster's problems.

The problem is most likely that he is using a camcorder that shoots in standard definition MPEG and needs to be rendered continually in order to edit it.

Scifictor, start a new project and make sure you've selected the project settings for Hard Disk Camcorder, Standard Definmition (widescreen or 4:3 -- however you've shot it). Then use Get Media/From Hard Disk Camcorder's Video Importer to get your video from your camcorder to your project.

But know that you're going to need to render your timeline whenever you see red lines above your clips -- which will be every time you add a new clip or effect. Just watch for red lines above the clips on your timeline and press Enter whenever you see them and you should have smooth operation.

• 15. Re: Video playback jerky in premiere. why?
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

That response was based on the OP's observation:

I tried turning off graphics accelleration and this has improved playback to usability on my testing last night.

I do agree that having the proper Project setup for the Source Footage is the first thing to check.

Hunt

• 16. Re: Video playback jerky in premiere. why?

This is, of course, assuming he's using the workflow I'm recommending and not using some other capture method that's producing WMV files of his videos.

• 17. Re: Video playback jerky in premiere. why?
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, the full workflow WILL be very important.

Hunt