10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2013 3:04 PM by Genevieve Laroche

form fields blank

scuref

I sent a PDF form out with a submit button.  One person could not submit it via the button because of his firewall, so the person saved the pdf and then emailed it to me.  When I look at the form, it appears blank.  If I click in a field, the answer shows up.  When I click in another field, all other fields disappear except for the one I have my cursor in. 

What did I do wrong, how can I avoid this in the future, and how can I see the whole document?  Also, is there anyway to import the answers to this into my Adobe Forms Central table for this form?

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: form fields blank
          Brian Havlin Adobe Employee

Hi,

We've seen this same effect when the Mac OS X Preview application is used to complete the PDF form. The Preview application

doesn’t preserve the original PDF content during a fill-in session. It completely rewrites the PDF during the save operation and omits the field appearances that would normally be shown when the form is opened in Adobe Reader.

The easiest way to correct this problem, if you have Adobe Acrobat installed, would be to export the form data from the completed PDF form then import it into the PDF form that you saved from FormsCentral. Here are the steps you would take, assuming you have Adobe Acrobat X installed:

1. Open the completed PDF form.

2. Select View | Tools | Forms form the application menu bar.

3. Click the "More Form Options" button then select the Manage Form Data | Export Data... menu item.

4. Save the FDF file to your system.

5. Open the PDF form saved from FormsCentral.

6. Select File | Save a Copy... then save a copy of your form to your system.

- this step is necessary because FormsCentral generates a Reader-extended PDF that has some editing restrictions in Acrobat

7. Open the PDF form saved in step 6.

8. Select View | Tools | Forms form the application menu bar.

9. Click the "More Form Options" button then select the Manage Form Data | Import Data... menu item.

10. Select the FDF file that you saved in step 4.

- at this point you should see the form data

11. Click the Submit button to submit the form to the FormsCentral server.

If you have any trouble with this, or don't have easy access to Adobe Acrobat, feel free to email me at bhavlin@adobe.com and I'll help you to recover this data.

Regards,

Brian

• 2. Re: form fields blank
            scuref Level 1

Brian,

That worked perfectly!  Quite a few steps, but I had no problems following them.  Thank you!  Yes, I'm using a Mac.  I forgot to mention that in my first email. 

Thanks again!

Nicole

• 3. Re: form fields blank
              GingrasGlobal Level 1

No choice for me for Forms after I hit View/Tools

• 4. Re: form fields blank
                Genevieve Laroche Adobe Employee

What version of Acrobat do you have? Note that you need Acrobat. If you have the free Adobe Reader you won't be able to perform those steps.

In Acrobat XI it show a right pane after you select View | Tools | Forms

Untitled.png

Gen

• 5. Re: form fields blank
                  GingrasGlobal Level 1

Okay, I do not have Acrobat. Is there any way I can recover the data if I

do not have acrobat?

If not, what is the best way to collect info online with Adobe Forms

Central in the future?

Romy Gingras Kochan

Gingras Global, LLC

President & Founder

Strategic Development

Supporting People from Inspiring Places with Productive Ideas

• 248.677.6441 Michigan

312.428.6928  Illinois

romygingras (Skype)

www.gingrasglobal.com

• IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Contents of this e-mail are confidential and are

the property of GINGRAS GLOBAL, LLC. The information contained in this

email is intended for the individual to whom it is addressed.  It may

contain privileged and confidential information.  If you are not an

intended recipient, you must not copy, distribute or take any action in

reliance on it.  If you have received this email in error, please delete

the message from your computer and contact  GINGRAS GLOBAL,LCC at

#248-677-6441.

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 5:08 PM, Genevieve Laroche <forums_noreply@adobe.com

• 6. Re: form fields blank

Your best bet it to ask your filler to fill out the form (again) using the free Adobe Reader (or Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader Mobile).

Gen

• 7. Re: form fields blank
                      GingrasGlobal Level 1

Thank you. Last question. If I hover over the spaces where the filler

placed his input it shows the input. Is it possible to cut and paste it

into a form as an online submission?

Romy Gingras Kochan

Gingras Global, LLC

President & Founder

Strategic Development

• 248.677.6441 Michigan

312.428.6928  Illinois

romygingras (Skype)

www.gingrasglobal.com

#248-677-6441.

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 5:28 PM, Genevieve Laroche <forums_noreply@adobe.com

• 8. Re: form fields blank

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean but if you can't select the text to copy it and paste it in your Response table then I don't know how you can get the values from the PDF in Reader.

Gen

• 9. Re: form fields blank
                          GingrasGlobal Level 1

I CAN select it to cut and paste but it just wont print out

Romy Gingras Kochan

Gingras Global, LLC

President & Founder

Strategic Development

• 248.677.6441 Michigan

312.428.6928  Illinois

romygingras (Skype)

www.gingrasglobal.com

#248-677-6441.

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 5:48 PM, Genevieve Laroche <forums_noreply@adobe.com

• 10. Re: form fields blank

If you can copy and paste then what you can do is open their form in Reader and open your form (the form you sent to your filler, the empty form) in Reader. Copy and paste the value from their form to your form. Then you can submit their data yourself. You will then be able to print the new form too with the data you just pasted in.

Hope this helps

Gen