Not sure I fully understand the issue you are describing. Are you trying to do a window.open action from a nested symbol instance? That should work. Or are you working with multiple symbol instances on the Stage, and only one of them is working correctly?
Please clarify the problem you're seeing. If it's easier, post a link to a bug file some place and one of us can take a look.
Thanks for responding. It is not a nested symbol, unless placing it in a group makes it nested.
Yes, there are multiple symbol instances on the stage. They are each animated to appear at different times in the animation, so naturally they each have their own layer in the timeline.
It is essentially a slideshow with eight slides, and a button linking to a different page on every other slide. For example, the first layer is a background screen, then another background screen which fades in over the previous one, and then the button fades in (and fades out with the screen.) It does this four times, and the only button that links to the actual page is the last. (The one on the top layer in the animation.)
I tried this by using four different symbols, as well as four instances of the same symbol. It works neither way.
I don't know how to post a bug file... Sorry.
The only button that links to the actual page is the last, but what I want is for all four of them to link to actual pages. I have programmed them all the same. Hope that clarifies a bit.
And yes, it is the window.open action.
It sounds like perhaps all of the slide/button groups (each slide/button combination is in their own group, correct?) are fading opacity out all in the same place? That's going to be a problem if there are any click events overlapping, because they are all still there on the page, just not visible. In that case, the last group button is the one that will take the click.
But you can remove each group from the page by using a Display:Off keyframe at the end of your opacity animation. If the group is going to play again, don't forget to add a Display:On keyframe to show it.
It's not possible to post a bug file in the forum, but you can zip up the project folder and post it on any web file hosting site, such as dropbox, etc. and then post a link to it here.
I have already tried turning the displays on and off so the symbols are never on at the same time. Didn't work.
You are right - the four buttons are grouped with the slide they are with so they can fade out together. However, I animated them so they move out of each others' way while the opacity is at 0, and this didn't take care of it either. I even tried this and the on/off solution together. Nothing.
You can go to sacreative.com/index2 to view it. It's about a minute long. The last link (the one that works) is currently linked to the Adobe site. I can put the AE files up on Dropbox, but I am at home now and will not be able to do that until tomorrow.
Ummm... hello? Are you done trying to figure this one out?
I have not looked at your file but could it be that only your top layer is clickable because it is on the top and you need to change the z-index for the others in order for them to be clickable?
I looked at it and resdesign is right, that is the issue exactly. You need to move your "Learn More" buttons to the top of the stacking order. Even if an element is set to 0 Opacity, it will intercept the click event.
This worked! You guys are wonderful. Thank you Redesign and Jerry for looking at my files.
I ungrouped the buttons and put them all at the top of the timeline. (I didn't have to mess with the z-index anywhere.) At first they were all linking to the same link as the button on the top layer, but then I turned them off so they were only on when they appeared and then off again right after. That fixed it. I was even able to delete all of the animation I had done because it doesn't matter if they are stacked now, as long as they are not all on while stacked AND not below any other element.
(Side note: At one point before I had it so everything in the animation was off except for the slide and button appearing on stage. This didn't work before, but of course I hadn't ungrouped them and put them at the top of the timeline.)
Glad it worked. Of course moving the buttons to the top is actually changing the z-index as I indicated.