7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2008 8:16 AM by mwh71057

Director 11 Student version

mwh710@hotmail.com
      I tried for over an hour with someone with only basic English skills to try to pre-order the $99 Student version. I finally had to hang up after the fourth time he took me to the same page that has the $299 Educators version & the $999 regular version. What is even the difference between the Educators version & the Student version. I couldn't get one answer out of this Customer Service person. Anyone know where I can go to pre-order a copy & find some "real" information? I also need a quote for a 33 seat Mac lab.
        • 1. Re: Director 11 Student version
          Level 7
          "mwh710@hotmail.com" wrote:

> I tried for over an hour with someone with only basic English skills to try to
          > pre-order the $99 Student version. I finally had to hang up after the fourth
          > time he took me to the same page that has the $299 Educators version & the $999
          > regular version. What is even the difference between the Educators version &
          > the Student version. I couldn't get one answer out of this Customer Service
          > person. Anyone know where I can go to pre-order a copy & find some "real"
          > information? I also need a quote for a 33 seat Mac lab.

Hi mwh,

Student versions and Education versions exist for quite a few Adobe products.
          Here's how I understand the difference. The Education version is available to
          anyone using Director in an educational context. It is mainly for teachers,
          lecturers, and for the educational institutions to purchase the licenses. However,
          when a school buys a bunch of Adobe licenses, they'd typically get a bulk discount,
          so the price would be less than the Educational one. A Student price is something
          relatively new from Adobe (I've only seen it since the release of Creative Suite 3
          products). It is aimed specifically to students. As a lecturer, I can't buy the $99
          version. However, my students can. I don't know what restrictions there are in
          terms of the Student eligibility. I know it is sold at my university in the
          bookstore (for CS3).

Now, recently, I asked Adobe the question:
          Why does pricing for Director show one price in US$ if you look online at the Adobe
          site on teh main Director page, but if you navigate the online store to another
          country, the price is higher (in US$ or even with current exchange rates).
          The answer I was given was that outside the USA, Adobe give resellers the
          competitive advantage in selling their products. So, the online store is always
          higher than if you contacted a reseller.

Where are you? I'd suggest you contact a reseller of Adobe products and ask what
          the best deal they can give. Even compare a few.

regards
          Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
          http://www.deansdirectortutorials.com/
          http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
          email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au

• 2. Re: Director 11 Student version
            mwh71057 Level 1
            Dean,
            It's Michael from Las Vegas. Thanks for the info, I think the community college is upgrading next Fall & I need to get a quote for my High School lab. I hope it is worth the wait. Have you seen it yet? Thanks for the new tutorial page, BTW.
            • 3. Re: Director 11 Student version
              Level 7
              Dean,
              It's Michael from Las Vegas. Thanks for the info, I think the community
              college is upgrading next Fall & I need to get a quote for my High School lab.
              I hope it is worth the wait. Have you seen it yet? Thanks for the new tutorial
              page, BTW.

• 4. Re: Director 11 Student version
                Level 7
                mwh71057 wrote:

> Dean,
                > It's Michael from Las Vegas. Thanks for the info, I think the community
                > college is upgrading next Fall & I need to get a quote for my High School lab.
                > I hope it is worth the wait. Have you seen it yet? Thanks for the new tutorial
                > page, BTW.

Hi Micheal,

Didn't recognise you:) Hope all is well in Vegas.

I have participated in Director betas which allows me to see Director before it's
                seen by the general public. As with any beta, all participants sign a Nondisclosure
                Agreement which prevents discussion of the product before it is available to the
                general community.

regards
                Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
                http://www.deansdirectortutorials.com/
                http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
                email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au

• 5. Re: Director 11 Student version
                  mwh71057 Level 1
                  I have a question, now that I am in class. One of my students has an OSX & a EXE projector file that he made ina prior class. Now he is doing his portfolio inmy class and wants to include them. The problem, of course, is that he deleted the DIR. Is he sunk? I know you can import DCR's, SWF's etc.. but the EXE & OSX are grayed out when trying from Import. Any sugestions?
                  • 6. Re: Director 11 Student version
                    Level 7
                    > Is he sunk?

Yes.

But he can always use the open() command to open other executables.

If the projectors are post D8 (and if one of them is a .osx file then it
                    sounds like they are) he could /try/ adding a file named "lingo.ini"
                    beside the projector with the following text in it (better to try this
                    on Windows as I'm not sure how the Mac manages run-time message windows):
                    on startUp
                    _player.debugPlaybackEnabled = 1
                    end

Then when the projector starts it should open a message window, into
                    which you can paste and execute:
                    saveMovie("@/recovered.dir")
                    which should create a file named "recovered.dir" in the same folder as
                    the projector. All assets *except* scripts will be present and editable
                    in the castLib. Don't touch any of the scripts or they will be lost (again).

This recovery technique can be prevented by setting
                    _player.debugPlaybackEnabled = 0 in a #prepareMovie handler and/or
                    overriding #saveMovie by implementing a handler of the same name in a
                    #movie script.
                    • 7. Re: Director 11 Student version
                      mwh71057 Level 1
                      Thank you, thank you. I will have student try this. I did a couple experiments on my own - works with windows only.