1 2 Previous Next 44 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2014 10:11 PM by Hudechrome

Camera Raw Speed Benchmark

Noel Carboni Level 7

Would you like to compare your speed in opening a raw file via Camera Raw with that of other systems?

If so, and you can spare a few minutes, here's what I propose:  

1. Download the Canon EOS-40D raw file and sidecar XMP file in the zip container that I have provided at the link below.
        http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/ForumPosts/RawTestFile.zip

2. Unzip the content of the above container to your hard drive.  This is important.  Don't just try to open the files out of the zip container as Camera Raw will not see the XMP file and this will skew the timing. 

3. Start to open the .CR2 image in Photoshop (e.g., drag it to Photoshop or use Photoshop's File-Open menu). 

4. If you have Camera Raw set (as default) to use sidecar XMP files, the settings provided in the .XMP file will have already been applied and you can move on to step 5.  But if you use the central database, load the settings from the .XMP file manually via the fly-out menu's Load Settings... entry.

5. Using the link at the bottom-center of the Camera Raw dialog, set Camera Raw to open the image into the Adobe RGB (1998) profile, 16 bits/channel, and at the native size (3888 x 2592 10.1 MP).

6. Complete the open into Photoshop by pressing the [Open Image] button.

7. Close the document, but leave Photoshop running.  Now the image is in your RAM cache and the measurements in the next step will be of Camera Raw's speed only.

8. Now, after preparing to time the next operations, open the same image again.  Note how long it takes to do the following:

- Time from starting the open to showing in the Camera Raw preview display.

- Time from pressing [Open Image] to the document showing in Photoshop's display

9. Post your system specifications, the version of Camera Raw you're running (including whether it is 64 bit), and the times you measured.

I have a Dell Precision T5500 workstation, dual Xeon hex core 3.47 GHz:

The times I measured, with a stopwatch that has 0.2 second resolution, are as follows:

Camera Raw 7.0 (x64):

• 1.8 seconds to show in the Camera Raw preview.
        • 2.0 seconds to open into Photoshop CS6.

Camera Raw 7.2 (x64):

• 1.8 seconds to show in the Camera Raw preview.
        • 3.6 seconds to open into Photoshop CS6.

-Noel

• 1. Re: Camera Raw Speed Benchmark
            Yammer Level 4

Custom-built Intel P45 Express/ICH10R with Core2 Duo at 3.55GHz and 4GB RAM, Windows 7 64b:

CR 7.2 64b

Open in CR: 1.5s to appear, 5.0s to full preview.

Render to PS: 8.1s

I don't have a copy of CR 7.0 any more. Will add bench for 7.0 if anyone can oblige.

1 person found this helpful
            • 2. Re: Camera Raw Speed Benchmark
              Noel Carboni Level 7

Interesting distinction "to full preview".   I hadn't noticed it before but the little yellow triangle "warning" symbol goes away a bit after the preview is first displayed, though I'm not seeing any apparent differences in the preview image itself.  Only the histogram shifts slightly.  Do you see a visible difference in the preview image?

In any case, time here from starting the open to "full preview" in Camera Raw 7.0 in 3.4 seconds, and in Camera Raw 7.2 the same exact time, 3.4 seconds. 

I find it interesting that for me that the "full preview" time with 7.0 (3.4 seconds) is actually longer than the time to open the image into Photoshop (2.0 seconds).

By the way, since we're talking about "full preview" it may matter what size the display is.  I have Camera Raw covering most of a 1600 x 1200 monitor.  Here's what I see, specifically:

FirstView.jpg

FullPreview.jpg

-Noel

• 3. Re: Camera Raw Speed Benchmark
                Yammer Level 4

CR 7.0 64b

Open in CR: 1.5s to appear, 4.2s to full preview.

Render to PS: 6.6s

CR 7.2 64b

Open in CR: 1.5s to appear, 5.0s to full preview.

Render to PS: 8.1s

• 4. Re: Camera Raw Speed Benchmark
                  Yammer Level 4

Noel Carboni wrote:

Interesting distinction "to full preview".   I hadn't noticed it before but the little yellow triangle "warning" symbol goes away a bit after the preview is first displayed, though I'm not seeing any apparent differences in the preview image itself.  Only the histogram shifts slightly.  Do you see a visible difference in the preview image?

I used the two figures because I didn't know which one you meant.

The second and subsequent times there was no noticeable difference in the preview after the triangle went out, bar a slight sharpening, presumably because the preview is already cached.

My display is 1920x1200 (16:10).

• 5. Re: Camera Raw Speed Benchmark
                    Noel Carboni Level 7

I hadn't thought about the caching, but of course that makes sense.  The "full display" number probably is the more important of the two. 

Thanks for helping clarify that, and for adding  your measurements.

-Noel

• 6. Re: Camera Raw Speed Benchmark
                      Blitzchris

I have a pc win 7 64 bit 24 GB Ram Intel Xeon w3680 @ 3,33Ghz Quad Programs on SSD, Cache on SSD

took with ACR 7.2   1.8 sec    -   3,9 sec

in CS5       1.5 sec       -    2.2 sec

Seems like performance is really also a matter of "luck" : Diglloyd hase some benchmarks here: http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2012/20120621_1-MacBookPro-Retina-RAW-convert-speed.ht ml

Means less than 4 secs per D800 file - my computer takes about 12- 14 secs for that operation. A notebook four times faster than a workstation? "May you live in interesting times"  ( c Terry Pratchet)

• 7. Re: Camera Raw Speed Benchmark
                        Noel Carboni Level 7

Thanks for your contribution here, Blitzchris.  Sounds like you have a very nice machine.

Means less than 4 secs per D800 file - my computer takes about 12- 14 secs for that operation.

That sounds kind of long given the performance you reported above.  Are you using non-out of box default parameters?

You mentioned Nikon NEFs... I should add something for Nikon shooters I suppose:

Not having a D800 myself, I just downloaded 10 different D800 NEF files to see the interactive opening speed and to try a block conversion to JPEG.  They average 43 MB each.

I first chose one, this file from Imaging-Resource.com:  http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-d800/D800hSLI00100_RF.NEF.HTM

Drag to already open Photoshop CS6 with Camera Raw 7.2, out of box Camera Raw Defaults for Nikon D800:

1.2 seconds from drop to see first preview.

3.8 seconds from drop to completion of preview update (disappearance of triangular warning indicator).

1.6 seconds from [Open Image] to seeing document in Photoshop using sRGB, 16 bits/channel, 7360 x 4912 pixel workflow options.

I reverified these timings with the 9 other NEF files and got no more than +/-0.2 second variance (some faster, some slower than the numbers posted above).

Converting all 10 files to JPEG, quality 10, 7360 x 4912 pixels:

40.2 seconds (4.02 seconds per conversion). 

This did not busy all cores overall, averaging what looked like a bit below 50%, and I assume the time was divided into about 2 seconds for input conversion and 2 seconds for JPEG compression.  Compression and file saving are operations that must usually be done by a single core, which probably explains the dips in processor usage.

This shows that only one file is converted at a time, and the amount of logical processor activity.

NEFActivity.png

-Noel

• 8. Re: Camera Raw Speed Benchmark
                          Yammer Level 4

My latest CR7 timings, all hosted in Ps 13.0.1 64b:

(Version: Open/Full preview in CR, Render to Ps)

7.0: 1.6/4.4, 6.6

7.1: 1.8/5.2, 7.9

7.2: 1.7/5.1, 8.1

7.3rc: 1.4/4.8, 8.1

• 9. Re: Camera Raw Speed Benchmark
                            Yammer Level 4

I devised a simpler test, for my own purposes, which I thought I'd share. I have a folder of 36 Raw photos, which have been processed as normal, and have varying amounts of cropping, basic settings, noise reduction, local adjustments and lens corrections. I browse this folder in Bridge 5.0.1 64b, clear the folder's cache, and then time the manual cache regeneration. I tried this with different versions of CR7 installed.

7.0: 42s; 7.1: 44.5s; 7.2: 46s; 7.3rc: 46s

So, I'm looking at a performance hit of about 10–20% since CR 7.0, depending on the action. 7.3rc is no faster than 7.2 on my computer.

My computer is a 4-year-old Core2 Duo with a 5600 series ATI graphics card, and although it is overclocked, finely-tuned and well-maintained, it is starting to show its age with the latest software, including CS6. In the last week, I have removed an internal drive used for relocated caches, and gone back to using one display (after using two for the last few months). Without measuring anything scientifically, I felt that it was slowing my computer down, and outweighing the benefits. This may have helped later versions of CR7 perform better (although I don't know why it should), as they feel relatively faster than they did before, and the measurements prove it.

• 10. Re: Camera Raw Speed Benchmark
                              Noel Carboni Level 7

Thanks for the additional information.

The really strange thing here is that the operation on multiple files doesn't scale quite the way you'd think it would.  Your one image timing clearly showed the 7.3RC faster at some things.

My measurements for 7.3RC on the test image at the top of this thread:

• 0.8 seconds from drop to cached preview (!!) - that's down to less than half the time from 1.8 seconds in ACR 7.2.
                              • 2.6 seconds from drop to full preview - down from 3.6 seconds in ACR 7.2.
                              • 3.8 seconds from [Open Image] to image open in Photoshop - up from 3.6 seconds in ACR 7.2 and 2.0 seconds in ACR 7.0.

Unfortunately though the preview times are enviable, 3.8 seconds to actually open the image is the longest time yet of all the 7.x versions, nearly doubling that of 7.0. 

Conversion of the 10 NEF files mentioned above to JPG:

• 36.2 seconds - down from 40.2 with ACR 7.2

NEFConversionBusyThreads.jpg

Yammer, you might find you can get some new life from your system by moving to SSD storage (e.g., an array of SSDs).

-Noel

• 11. Re: Camera Raw Speed Benchmark
                                Yammer Level 4

Noel Carboni wrote:

Yammer, you might find you can get some new life from your system by moving to SSD storage (e.g., an array of SSDs).

Since this thread started, I have cranked up my Core2 Duo to 3.8GHz, installed a 2GB OC AMD Radeon HD7850, and replaced the boot drive with a 250GB Corsair SSD. The CPU is old technology, but it's purring like a lion. Also, Bridge CS6 has been updated, and we're now on ACR 7.4RC, with no improvement in speed over the last few iterations.

Unfortunately, I am still finding that Camera Raw 7.0 is significantly faster than subsequest versions, so this is the version I am currently running. Not only that, but I'm finally moving to a D800 this week, which not only requires a minimum of 7.1, but has three times as many pixels as my current SLR. It was inevitable, but I feel a motherboard upgrade coming on too.

Eric, if you're reading this: is the ACR team working on restoring previous performance at all, or is this as fast as it gets now? One of the things which always set ACR apart was its speed and responsiveness, and it would be a shame to have to run the latest and greatest hardware to keep it fluid and snappy.

• 12. Re: Camera Raw Speed Benchmark
                                  Omke Oudeman Level 5

I second this, using the EOS 1Dx ACR 7.1 is the first to support my Raw files, but on a brand new MacPro with 32 GB RAM and SSD and a PCI slot accelsior everything is about lightning fast except for using filmstrip in ACR (7.3 according to the latest creative cloud update). It really is painfully slow near the point of becoming unusable. Sometimes it takes 30 seconds to a minute to run through just a few simple color temparature settings and exposure (I already applied the bulk in Bridge using copy paste settings but still a lot of delay).

• 13. Re: Camera Raw Speed Benchmark
                                    Yammer Level 4

I upgraded my PC this week—I replaced the core components and reinstalled the OS and applications as before. The PC spec is now as before, but with i7-3770K 4.4GHz, Z77 with SATA3 and 16GB fast RAM. The CPU PassMark jumped from 2900 to 11500, and the memory and disk benchmarks have roughly doubled.

Anyway, I ran the same test as before and I won't bother you with the results, as I can summarise them in a sentence: for every version of ACR the file opens about half a second sooner, sharpens up in about half the time it took before, and the file is rendered in about a third of the time.

So, the power boost has affected all versions equally, but each stage is boosted by different amounts, with the final rendering to Photoshop being the biggest gain. Bridge seems to be a lot smoother too. I'm not seeing a restriction in the number of processes; all 8 virtual CPU cores are running between 30 and 60% while I regenerate the cache (ACR 7.1).

• 14. Re: Camera Raw Speed Benchmark
                                      Noel Carboni Level 7

Congrats on that speed boost, Yammer!  We all work better when the computer doesn't get in the way for as long.

-Noel

• 15. Re: Camera Raw Speed Benchmark
                                        Noel Carboni Level 7

FYI, with Camera Raw 8.1:

Time to open first preview in Camera Raw dialog:  1.0 seconds.

Time after preview for /!\ warning symbol to disappear:  1.2 seconds.

Time to open the image into Photoshop:  2.0 seconds.

Better than even Camera Raw 7.0 results on one image.  Not bad!

-Noel

• 16. Re: Camera Raw Speed Benchmark
                                          Hudechrome Level 2

Good!

I'm going for the Haswell version.

• 17. Re: Camera Raw Speed Benchmark
                                            Noel Carboni Level 7

Haswell version of what?  You have a new workstation motherboard in your sights?

-Noel

• 18. Re: Camera Raw Speed Benchmark
                                              Yammer Level 4

Seems fast on its own, but Bridge preview/thumbnail generation running slow/erratically.

• 19. Re: Camera Raw Speed Benchmark
                                                Hudechrome Level 2

Not a workstation for sure! The Dell tx600's are a piece of crap!

I'll likely run the H87 chipset as I won't be overclocking. That chipset has much going for it. In fact, the Haswells them selves are ho-hum but that was also true of the change from Sandy Bridge to Ivy and now Haswell.

But before that I just found out that I have to move!

Grrr.....

• 20. Re: Camera Raw Speed Benchmark
                                                  Noel Carboni Level 7

Hudechrome wrote:

Not a workstation for sure! The Dell tx600's are a piece of crap!

Wow, not having seen nor used a T5600 myself, I'm surprised to hear that.

But I have seen the prices of off-lease / used / refurbed T5500s (of which I have one I think very highly of) going up.  There has to be a reason for that!

Thank you for that insight.  Sigh.  The world of serious computing is faltering.

Yammer, I assume you've done all the obligatory cache clearing, including finding all the files the Bridge "Clear Cache" operation neglects to delete?

-Noel

• 21. Re: Camera Raw Speed Benchmark
                                                    Yammer Level 4

Noel Carboni wrote:

Yammer, I assume you've done all the obligatory cache clearing, including finding all the files the Bridge "Clear Cache" operation neglects to delete?

No, I didn't clear the cache. There are 35,000 photos on my Photo volume, 25,000 of which are Raw. It takes hours to regenerate the cache and I didn't fancy doing it twice. I did however clear the cache for 2013 as a compromise, and it didn't make any difference. The spinning circle was really jerky. I could tell something was up straight away.

What do you mean by 'all the files the Bridge "Clear Cache" operation neglects to delete'?

• 22. Re: Camera Raw Speed Benchmark
                                                      Hudechrome Level 2

The t5600 may redeem itself. I only have experience with the 3600. That one is configured as a 2 drive RAID possible, but one drive is HDD, the other SDD!

The 3G SATAS are disabled if you use the perc card. I lso puzzled over how they would configure extra drives physically, power connections etc.

The case is splendid, one of the best. The power supply for the t3600 woefully inadequate, but it does plug in, if you are willing to spring for an upgrade.

Have I told you what happens if you decide to do a generic OS? For starters, a bunch of drivers normally included in an installation are missing. I don't know why they don't show up with the installation disk (not Dell, generic) as they do if you choose Ubuntu.

Yellow bangs galore! Then you go hunting for the drivers! I didn't find all of them before I left Intel (My 13 weeks were up).

I'm now doing a 3 day week with a small manufacturer of a specialty item. Lots of analog electronics. And 4 days to do camera work.

• 23. Re: Camera Raw Speed Benchmark
                                                        Noel Carboni Level 7

Yammer P wrote:

What do you mean by 'all the files the Bridge "Clear Cache" operation neglects to delete'?

People have reported finding big blocks of cache files still on disk after requesting a cache clear.

I've almost no experience with Bridge as I don't use it, but I read the occasional forum post.

-Noel

• 24. Re: Camera Raw Speed Benchmark
                                                          Yammer Level 4

I ran a quick benchmark of 8.1 hosted by Photohop CS6, and it seemed comparable to earlier versions of 7.x in performance, which is good news, as performance seemed to get worse with each minor version release.

However, if you host ACR primarily through Bridge CS6, things aren't quite so cool. Having updated ACR countless times in the past, it was clear straight away that this was no ordinary update, as the last folder Bridge viewed started regenerating very slowly, with the progress spinner doing an 80s robot dance.

So, I fired up ACR, and checked all the settings. The workspace settings had all defaulted, presumably as they have been reorganised in version 8. I selected a few folders and cleared their caches, but they still regenerated slowly.

Bridge CS6 has had a performance problem since about November last year and the release of ACR 7.3. Possibly something in the bug fixing of the TIFF problems has caused Bridge to get confused about its cached Raw jpegs, and it insists on regenerating thumbnails every visit for some folders. The workaround is to work with smaller folders and/or roll back to 7.2.

It's actually a much older problem, but it got significantly worse with 7.3.

Despite Adobe Bridge engineers being alerted to this, there has been no movement and little communication with users. The last major bug in Bridge, from as far back as CS3/4, wasn't fixed until the release of CS6. I have given up trying. My cynical self assumes that Bridge CS6 is now finished, and it *might* get fixed in CC. As I'm not supporting CC, I'm reluctant to waste my time further with bugs.

• 25. Re: Camera Raw Speed Benchmark
                                                            Hudechrome Level 2

I also did the update even though I'll be going to CC (maybe I'll wait a bit, however.).

So far, the only change to Bridge hosting ACR is that the Camera Calibration reverted to Adobe Standard instead of Camera Standard.Everything else is as before, all Presets etc.

So far as regenerating, I did an entire purge and it rebuilt quickly, as before. The strange thing was that I first checked the size of the Cache, purged it completely which should have removed the cache but the same size showed up before (or maybe during) the rebuilding. It is exactly so far as I can tell, the same size and all rebuilding on any file I look at is done. Elapsed time less than 15 minutes.

I have Bridge set to export cache to folders, which seems to work well.

No SSD's, only HDD.

• 26. Re: Camera Raw Speed Benchmark
                                                              Yammer Level 4

Hudechrome wrote:

So far, the only change to Bridge hosting ACR is that the Camera Calibration reverted to Adobe Standard instead of Camera Standard.Everything else is as before, all Presets etc.

So far as regenerating, I did an entire purge and it rebuilt quickly, as before. The strange thing was that I first checked the size of the Cache, purged it completely which should have removed the cache but the same size showed up before (or maybe during) the rebuilding. It is exactly so far as I can tell, the same size and all rebuilding on any file I look at is done. Elapsed time less than 15 minutes.

I have Bridge set to export cache to folders, which seems to work well.

Well, maybe that's the difference.

I'm not positive, but I think that purging the cache only deletes the central Bridge cache, and not the exported cache in image folders. Assuming the exported caches remain, it's possible that these are just copied back to the central cache when you rebuild—isn't this what they're for?

Hmm. Maybe I should start exporting cache files. I like the sound of 15 minutes. I normally have to leave mine overnight if I do a complete purge. How many GB of images are you caching?

• 27. Re: Camera Raw Speed Benchmark
                                                                Hudechrome Level 2

11.6GB on C drive.

I went to Export when I realized I would soon run out of room if only C drive contained the cache. I'm not sure but I think it was Chris Cox that alerted be to that process.

• 28. Re: Camera Raw Speed Benchmark
                                                                  Yammer Level 4

At first, I thought that was very low, but then I realised you must mean that the cache is 11.6GB, not the images you are caching

My Photo volume just finished re-caching from empty, and has taken about 4 hours with my super-duper-new-computer. The cache folder is over 30GB from about 35,000 images. I enabled Exporting to folders this time!

Unfortunately, even with exported caches, ACR 8.1 still insists on regenerating lots of thumbnails every time Bridge gets focus. So, it looks like I'll stay with 7.2 for the foreseeable future.

• 29. Re: Camera Raw Speed Benchmark
                                                                    Hudechrome Level 2

It continually amazes me that this descrepancy exists. Over in the thumbnails rebuilding, d'Huez says 8.1 brought it back!.

Has any Mac people seen it? And how to fix it so those wh do not have the problem don't suffer?

Message was edited by: Hudechrome

• 30. Re: Camera Raw Speed Benchmark
                                                                      Yammer Level 4

It never went away.

d'Huez meant that he managed to cure one of his folders of the problem, but 8.1 brought it back. The problem only seems to affect certain folders, with some suffering much more than others, and some not at all. Once a folder is tainted, it's difficult to get the problem to go away--even if you rollback the ACR version. d'Huez managed it once before, but can't seem to do it again. I think he may have fluked it last time, as I've never been able to fix it by moving files to a new directory.

No one has been able to work out what's causing the problem to start, but it seems to be related to cache metadata not matching the originals, triggering a cache regeneration by Bridge. I noticed that the date/timestamps of some of the cache files are not related to their creation time nor the capture time, but I don't know if that's significant.

Adobe has been alerted, but we have had no feedback at all. My selfish concern is that if a fix ever appears it will not apply to CS6, as I have no plans to subscribe to CC, and Adobe Bridge developers have previous form in not fixing bugs until new versions.

• 31. Re: Camera Raw Speed Benchmark
                                                                        Yammer Level 4

Hudechrome wrote:

Has any Mac people seen it? And how to fix it so those wh do not have the problem don't suffer?

I think a few Mac users have added to the bug report on feedback.photoshop.com. We tried to eliminate stuff before, but it seems to affect all platforms, hardware, and Raw/DNG.

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/unneccesary_bridge_thumbnail_and_pre view_extraction

If only someone knew how to start the problem, we might stand a chance of getting others to reproduce it.

I know how to stop the problem: move the XMP files out of the folder and clear the cache. That doesn't really help much though.

• 32. Re: Camera Raw Speed Benchmark
                                                                          AnnShelbourne Level 2

I think that the Sidecar files are probably the cause of the trouble.

They certainly were here when I failed to notice that my own normal Prefs for using only a Central DB had inadvertently changed to the Default at one point.

I cured the problem by deleting all of the new .xmp files which had appeared in my Folders and simply reconverting via ACR. Fortunately, I noticed what had happened fairly quickly and there were not too many RAWs which needed to be re-converted and it certainly repaid the time it took to get rid of those XMPs.

I don't normally make DNGs either.

I also always "Save Cache to Folder" because it seems to keep even folders which contain more than 7,000 .nefs in good shape and working efficiently without wanting to redraw thumbnails every few minutes!

Running on OSX 10.8.4.

• 33. Re: Camera Raw Speed Benchmark
                                                                            Yammer Level 4

CameraAnn wrote:

I think that the Sidecar files are probably the cause of the trouble.

They certainly were here when I failed to notice that my own normal Prefs for using only a Central DB had inadvertently changed to the Default at one point.

I cured the problem by deleting all of the new .xmp files which had appeared in my Folders and simply reconverting via ACR. Fortunately, I noticed what had happened fairly quickly and there were not too many RAWs which needed to be re-converted and it certainly repaid the time it took to get rid of those XMPs.

I don't normally make DNGs either.

People who convert to DNG have also complained of the problem, so it's not the sidecar itself which is the problem but the XMP data.

FYI I just got a reply from an Adobe employee, saying the the problem had been "addressed", but that he couldn't comment on "future releases". When I expressed dismay, he clarified that "future releases" could be anything from an update to a new version, and that he hadn't been told what the plan was.

• 34. Re: Camera Raw Speed Benchmark
                                                                              Hudechrome Level 2

I have many dng's generated through DxO, which are linear. They cause no problems.

It seems you eather have it or you don't, no matter the variations on the theme.

• 35. Re: Camera Raw Speed Benchmark
                                                                                Yammer Level 4

Hudechrome wrote:

It continually amazes me that this descrepancy exists. Over in the thumbnails rebuilding, d'Huez says 8.1 brought it back!.

My latest thinking on this:

The thumbnails rebuilding or repeated extractions bug in Bridge has existed at least since CS5, and possibly earlier. Unfortunately, I don't have a record of when I first noticed it. It might have coincided with the introduction of Lens Corrections in ACR 6, or it may just have become more obvious then. A newer bug has existed since ACR 7.3, with similar but more severe symptoms.

I have recently discovered that the original bug is triggered by the use of cropping in Camera Raw, but only when the crop coincides with the image edge (and even then not always). If you leave a margin around the crop, everything works okay. I suspect that the complex edge of an image, created by lens corrections and manual transformations, coupled with a 'touching' crop is causing some mathematical confusion which causes Bridge to think that the previews need updating. Move the crop away from the danger zone or remove the crop altogether, and Bridge is happy again. I have done this with 35,000 photos over the last week and Bridge is now as quiet as the night.

The new bug, introduced with ACR 7.3 and continuing into 8.1, doesn't seem interested in crops. Something else is uspetting Bridge, and I haven't worked it out. All I can think of is that bug fixes related to TIFF files required some underlying changes which are at odds with Bridge's previewing system.

However, I have already wasted many hours on this problem, and now have an optimal system running on ACR 7.2, so unless there's a good reason to upgrade ACR, I'm not budging. If Adobe manages to issue a fix for CS6 that will be great, but I'm not holding my breath. I bought two new cameras this year, so future Raw support requirement is highly unlikely in the medium term.

• 36. Re: Camera Raw Speed Benchmark
                                                                                  Hudechrome Level 2

Ok, I don't crop in ACR. I don't like to crop there, so if cropping brings it on then that is why I don't see it.

Now, assuming that is true, if deleting all crops would restore normal operation, I might give it a try. But then so can the Bridge engineers!

• 37. Re: Camera Raw Speed Benchmark
                                                                                    salih basoglu

I will build a new system for photoshop CC.

I work with many Raw files (1000) with ACR.

What is important to speed up the process.

In my old system i have samsung ssd 250gb, quadro 4000 which i can re-use.

pls help me.

• 38. Re: Camera Raw Speed Benchmark
                                                                                      Yammer Level 4

Fast multi-core CPU, fast RAM, fast storage.

• 39. Re: Camera Raw Speed Benchmark
                                                                                        salih basoglu Level 1

Hi Yammer,

I am a Wedding photographer and shoot in raw. In one day i have 600 raw pictures.

Now i use core2duo e6600 with 8gb ram.

- faster ram or more ram (which brand en model) can i use

- fast storage ssd raid 0 or just ssd is enough.

- fast multi core to choose socket 2011 or 1150

Is like a game computer.

1 2 Previous Next