7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2012 6:04 AM by RONGraphic

indesign spelling

RONGraphic Level 1

How can i change the spelling language in indesign. I have set the language to Dutch in preferences

• 2. Re: indesign spelling
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Yeah, well, it's pretty easy to not understand from that Help article just how languge assigned to text is not the same as choosing a dictionary in the prefs.

The preference setting for a dictionary actually is there only to let you choose which installed dictionary, if there happens to be more than one, is actually used for any particular language. It does not set a default language for the interface or a document. Language is a Character-level attribute so that you can assign a language to each word if necessary when you include many "foreign language" terms in a document. You'll find the Language drop-down in the Character panel, the Control panel when in "character" mode, Character Style defintion dialog, and under Advanced Character Formats in the Paragraph Style defintion dialog.

To set the default language for the document, choose the language from the Character panel or Control panel with nothing selected. This will not affect any existing text, however. To set the default for all new files, set it with no file open.

• 3. Re: indesign spelling
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Peter Spier wrote:

Yeah, well, it's pretty easy to not understand from that Help article just how languge assigned to text is not the same as choosing a dictionary in the prefs.

?

From that page:

Check spelling

1. If your document includes foreign-language text, select the text and use the Language menu on the Character panel to specify the language for that text. 
            2. Choose Edit > Spelling > Check Spelling. Spell-checking begins.
            • 4. Re: indesign spelling

What can I say? Lots of people don't seem to understand this. What do you consider a Foreign Language? I bet you see a lot of text in Dutch at work, no? What language interface did you set in ID when you installed it? Was the default language at install set to Dutch? Would an entire document set in German be considerd as a Foreign Language?

• 5. Re: indesign spelling
                RONGraphic Level 1

thanks guys,.. it seems to work now. I wanted to check the complete document and didn't think its needed to select the specific texts for that. I have an english cs6 and it somehow wants to use the englisch dictionary all the time. I still think it should be possible to make the text spelling Dutch by default somehow but I'm much furthter allready now.

• 6. Re: indesign spelling

As I said, you can make it Dutch for new files you create, but because the language is a character attribute, anything that exists alread has a language assigned so it will need to be changed manually. You can use Find/Change to do that to an entire document in one step, though.

• 7. Re: indesign spelling
                    RONGraphic Level 1

ok! thanks again!