16 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2012 8:25 AM by winterm

Preflight profile not catching RBG colors

allisonblake Level 1

Hi everyone,

Mac OS 10.7, CS5 7.0.4

I created a preflight profile that includes the setting that should catch RGB colors (Colors>Color Spaces and Modes Not Allowed>RGB box is checked). The problem is that it doesn't flag colors that are in use but weren't added to the swatches. For example, if you get a color from an image using the eye dropper. It uses an RGB proxy and loads that color into the cursor but doesn't create a new swatch.

Is this expected behavior or a bug or an oversight? Any way around it? Our production team has PitStop, which caught the problem in the PDF but it would be good to catch these things prior to passing off the file.

• 1. Re: Preflight profile not catching RBG colors
          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Our production team has PitStop, which caught the problem in the PDF but it would be good to catch these things prior to passing off the file.

If you really need an all CMYK PDF why not simply convert on export (PDF/X-1a?). But what's the problem with RGB colors? They could also be  converted  when the PDF is output using any press profile.

• 2. Re: Preflight profile not catching RBG colors
            allisonblake Level 1

I know  this, and I regularly make PDFs this way, but unfortunatly, our printers for certain projects insist on PDFs created by printing to ps and distilling using their settings, which don't convert colors.

• 3. Re: Preflight profile not catching RBG colors

which don't convert colors.

You mean they want all CMYK but don't want you to convert to CMYK? That doesn't make any sense.

When you save the postscript file you can choose Composite CMYK then choose your document CMYK profile as the Printer Profile in the Color Management tab. In that case all RGB colors will be converted to CMYK via the chosen profile.

If you chose the document's CMYK profile, the document CMYK colors are left unchanged. If you choose a different profile you get the chance to preserve CMYK colors.

• 4. Re: Preflight profile not catching RBG colors
                winterm Level 4

Rob Day wrote:

You mean they want all CMYK but don't want you to convert to CMYK? That doesn't make any sense.

I must second to OP, some printers do... The sense is: "place cmyk images only, work with cmyk colors natively, and you won't need any conversion on export."

But what's about the answer to original question? Why preflight not catching rgb? It's obviously abnormal. NEVER faced this (I'm on XP, CS5.5). Maybe trashing preferences might help? Or whatever? Do you have any idea? I haven't...

• 5. Re: Preflight profile not catching RBG colors
                  allisonblake Level 1

Yes, winterm, that's it exactly. We work with printers who insist on fonts being outlined, too. I can tell production that these printers are wrong, behind the times, whatever, it doesn't change the fact that i have to provide files the way they stipulate. I don't get to choose our vendors :-(

I should say that the preflight IS catching RGB in images  just not colors used in the ID file that have no swatch.

• 6. Re: Preflight profile not catching RBG colors
                    winterm Level 4

Ouch... about fonts - that's really bad But yes, I understand, it's out of your reach. I believe, you know those tricks with transparency flattener and do outlining on export...

On topic: maybe indeed you should try resetting your preferences? My system perfectly catches ALL rgb instances in file, no matter of origin, having swatch or not or whatever. So must do yours, I believe.

• 7. Re: Preflight profile not catching RBG colors
                      allisonblake Level 1

I typically do the outlines in the PDF itself using the transparency flattener in Acrobat. I seem to recall there is a way to do that from ID directly as well but the method broke in CS4, then changed in CS5 and I've kind of lost track. Mercifully, I only rarely need to outline fonts so the Acrobat method works well.

I will try clearing preferences and see if that resolves the issue.

• 8. Re: Preflight profile not catching RBG colors

I must second to OP, some printers do... The sense is: "place cmyk images only, work with cmyk colors natively, and you won't need any conversion on export."

But what will you do when preflight catches an RGB color—convert it to CMYK right?

It doesn't matter whether you take the time to look for RGB colors with preflight and then convert them in the ID layout or Photoshop, because the conversions you make on export or saving to postscript will be the same as the ones you make in the application. The printer would not know how you made the conversion.

Here I've made a frame filled with an out-of-gamut green (94|255|0), copied it and converted the color to CMYK (81|0|100|0) via the Color panel. If I export or print postscript to my document's CMYK profile, the 2 greens have the same CMYK value in the PDF:

Screen shot 2012-10-04 at 4.10.55 PM.png

AcrobatScreenSnapz001.png

• 9. Re: Preflight profile not catching RBG colors
                          allisonblake Level 1

If I were the one making the PDFs, then this is certainly the route I would take. But someone else actually makes the PDFs and uploads them to the printer's website. They follow the printer's instructions to the letter, even if those instructions are outdated, silly, or unnecessarily complicated. The settings from the printer don't convert colors, so they just don't convert colors.

If pitstop catches those RGB colors, they still come back to us to fix it in the ID file even though they can fix it just as easily in the PDF. (Or they fix it in the PDF and complain after that the files weren't correct as provided to them).

(Sorry to veer off-topic with this. It seems to be a fairly common complaint on this site that we sometimes have to follow workflows that aren't best practice. sigh.)

• 10. Re: Preflight profile not catching RBG colors
                            winterm Level 4

and my penny:

Who argues? That's all correct - color converting engine is perfectly the same for PS and ID, the result either...

I just want to say, that's NOT OP question.

It doesn't matter now what OP is going to do with found rgb color - preflight just MUST find it!

And - yes, I noticed here at forum, you know a lot about "color affairs" and I respect it, really.

Peace

• 11. Re: Preflight profile not catching RBG colors

I should say that the preflight IS catching RGB in images  just not colors used in the ID file that have no swatch.

Before you run preflight Swatches panel>Add Unamed Swatches

• 12. Re: Preflight profile not catching RBG colors
                                winterm Level 4

Yes, I thought about that too... but my ID successfully catches not added swatches, so that's just workaround - at the best, not real solution...

• 13. Re: Preflight profile not catching RBG colors

I just want to say, that's NOT OP question.

It wasn't clear until #9 that Allison wasn't making the PDFs—if she was making the PDFs then letting conversions happen on export would be a reasonable solution.

• 14. Re: Preflight profile not catching RBG colors
                                    winterm Level 4

Sorry, here's the question as I see it:

Preflight profile not catching RBG colors

English isn't my native language, maybe I understood it in wrong way. I see "Preflight" and don't see "pdf".

My preflight catches unnamed, not added rgb swatches. What about yours? Why OP's can't?

Ah, yes, RBG is just a typo? We can agree on this, I guess?

• 15. Re: Preflight profile not catching RBG colors
                                      allisonblake Level 1

Rebuilt preferences as well as doing an assortment of other OS updates that were needed and happy to report that the unswatched RGB color was flagged by my preflight. I usually try the preference rebuild any time something seems weird. Should have tried that in the first place!

• 16. Re: Preflight profile not catching RBG colors
                                        winterm Level 4

Glad to hear you're fine again

It seems like resetting preferences is a good solution when one has no clue what's going on with his system

Frankly, never (since the days of ID 2.0) had to do it myself...