5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2012 1:39 PM by Peter Spier

Placing Preferences

justinwhitman

Is there an indesign placing preference that directs the place file path to the last image that was selected? Right now when I place an image, the file path directs to the folder where the last image is from, but not the image itself.

Is this a preference or a plugin?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Placing Preferences
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Not sure I understand the question. Indesign goes back to the last folder from which you placed a link when you use the palce command, but it never picks a file from that folder for you to use. Why would it?

• 2. Re: Placing Preferences
            justinwhitman Level 1

Hi, thank you for the quick reply. Yes indesign goes back to the last folder that I placed from. What I am trying to do is return to the last image I placed. Lets say I am searching through a folder of images and I want to start from the last image I placed instead of starting from the first image in the folder. Does that make sense? I know this feature is available, I used it on indesign at my last job. I can't seem to find it on this recent version that I have.

• 3. Re: Placing Preferences

To my knowledge, ID has never selected a file when using the Place dialog. Are you confusing this with Relink? ID used to highlight the file if it was in the relink folder, but does not do so in CS6.

If you have a a lot of images to place from one folder you can select them all and ID will rotate through them in the place gun. Or maybe you'd find using Bridge or Mini Bridge helpful. You could leave that open to your folder and drag the images into ID.

• 4. Re: Placing Preferences
                justinwhitman Level 1

Maybe I'm thinking of relink... Wonder why it changed for CS6?

Thank you for your help.

• 5. Re: Placing Preferences

That I can't tell you, but I discovered accidentally the other day if you press Open in the relink dialog with no file listed, it will select the filename of the link if it's present.