6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2008 12:26 PM by prncpl

Error Message -- Multiple Sites

prncpl
      I am using Dreamweaver 2004. I have used this for many years, have developed an extensive website, and have not experienced this problem until recently. I use Comcast for my server and have seven addresses with 1 G of space available on each. At present I am using four. My website is http://home.comcast.net/~prncpld/index.htm. I am trying to upload 4 new 'pages' -- Europe2007-1, Europe2007-2, Europe2007-3, and Europe2007-4, plus my index (homepage), and I get this error message: "Index.htm is contained in multiple sites. Please open the site you wish to work on and then select the menu item again." This is repeated for anything new I'm doing. "Index" is NOT in multiple sites, and I have no idea what this means and what I can do to correct it. I have gone into the Comcast website file area and made sure that there was no such duplication there. I have gone through my files on my computer to do the same.

I don't know html so whatever response I get has to be in 'computer language for dummies.' Please help.
        • 1. Re: Error Message -- Multiple Sites
          Level 7

> "Index.htm is contained in
          > multiple sites.

How many sites are defined?
          If this just started happening, look in the latest site def you defined or
          edited. Go to the local info section and study the path to that site's Local
          Site Folder.

the warning message means multiple site definitions are pointed to the same
          local site folder, or to a folder within another site definition.

--
          Alan
          Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 2. Re: Error Message -- Multiple Sites
            prncpl Level 1
            I have no idea what it means by multiple sites. Index.htm is in the site prncpld on Comcast. It is also on my C drive in a folder named 'website-folders' and then inside that in prncpld.

I have gone through the manage sites process to make sure everything is the same as it always has been when I've created pages.

On my computer, the prncpld folder contains 'belgium', 'denmark', and several other 'pages.' The corresponding html files are on Comcast within my prncpld site folder.

Sorry to be dense.

• 3. Re: Error Message -- Multiple Sites
              prncpl Level 1
              Now it won't even let me preview it in my browser. That has never happened before. I get that same 'multiple sites' error message.

Thanks.
              • 4. Re: Error Message -- Multiple Sites
                Level 7

> Now it won't even let me preview it in my browser. That has never happened
                > before. I get that same 'multiple sites' error message.
                >
                > Thanks.

dw menu-->site->manage sites

go through each site def in turn and chart the path to the local site
                folder.

somewhere there IS an overlap.

--
                Alan
                Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 5. Re: Error Message -- Multiple Sites
                  Thank you so much for taking the time out for me.
                  I really appreciate it!
                  • 6. Re: Error Message -- Multiple Sites
                    prncpl Level 1
                    I finally figured out what the problem was and fixed it. What happened is that I had several files/sites open at once because I was creating links between them. When I would go to a different site/file and try to upload it, I would get an error message telling me there were several sites.

All I had to do was to go up to 'manage sites' and click on the correct site there and voila! Everything then worked correctly. It was so simple once I figured that out. I had spent hours and hours of frustration making sure there weren't multiple sites -- which there weren't. 'Manage sites' just doesn't move automatically when you move to another file. I hope this makes sense.