10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2012 10:49 AM by the_wine_snob

Underwater Video Color Correction

Larry Recht Level 1

I am using PE7 on a Windows PC running win7 with 6GB Ram/Core i7 and am trying to color correct some video shot while scuba diving in Thailand.  The videos have a very blue/green tint (since water and depth sort of wipe out the red channel).  I know how to color correct still images in PSE but am having trouble getting satisfactory results in PE.  I have tried Auto Levels, Auto Color and a bit of the Channel Mixer with some success but am wondering if anybody has a good workflow/settings for this.

I did see the recent release of PE11 and see that there is a new 3-way color correction in there.  Would that be a better option?

Thanks in advance

Larry

• 1. Re: Underwater Video Color Correction
          Ed.Macke Level 3

Larry,

I had a similar experience recently (although my problem video had horrible green-ish lighting that came from commuter train overhead lights). I was able to get it looking "OK", but certainly not great, and didn't find any better tools than what you mentioned.

For me, I can color-correct a still image in Ligthtroom in about 15 seconds.

But I really struggled to get acceptable results using PE7, no matter how much time I put in.

Since it was a very short clip, and just for home movies, I didn't get too hung up on it, but I remember thinking "there's got to be a better way...."

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Underwater Video Color Correction
            Larry Recht Level 1

Thanks Ed - I downloaded a trial of PE11 and stumbled on a plugin called ColorFast from http://www.newbluefx.com/so/color-fast/ that I may try (but it's $129 and I am not sure how important these vids are to me...).  I am going to try some comparison tests in PE7 & Pe11 and maybe with the plug-in and will try to update results here when I am done.  Thanks for the quick reply!

Larry

• 3. Re: Underwater Video Color Correction
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Larry,

In your PrE 11 trial, go to Effects>Video>All, and look for Fast Color Corrector. I am trying to find where I read about it, but that is a great Effect from PrPro, and I thought that I saw that it, or a version of it, had been added in PrE 11. Maybe Steve Grisetti can tell us, whether I am right, or wrong on that.

In PrPro, it is the lowest level Color Correction Effect, albeit a powerful one. There are two more, that are quite powerful, but come with a pretty big learning curve.

I will keep looking for that review, and will post a link, should I find it.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I have always found the Auto-anything Effects to ONLY be useful if everything in a Clip, from lighting to exposure, remain exactly the same.

• 4. Re: Underwater Video Color Correction
                the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, maybe this lesson, Number 5 of 8, in Steve Grisetti's Basic Training Series on Muvipix.com: http://www.muvipix.com/products.php will be what you want in your PrE 11 trial.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Underwater Video Color Correction
                  Larry Recht Level 1

Thanks Bill - I don't think that Fast Color Corrector is installed in the Trial (at least I couldn't find it).  Will take a look at the link you provided and google around for Fast Color Corrector too and let you know what I find...

Larry

• 6. Re: Underwater Video Color Correction
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Larry,

It was probably my confusion, and I was thinking about that Adjustment Panel.

If you did not see Fast Color Corrector, then it was just a glitch in my feeble memory. The trial does not limit Effects (perhaps 3rd party, like NewBlue FX?), but Fast Color is an Adobe Effect, and I guess that it is only in PrPro. Sorry for that wild goose chase.

Hope that the Adjustment Panel will be helpful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Underwater Video Color Correction
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It's just called the Color Corrector, Bill. And it is located in the Video Effects.

Although, in Larry's case, the Adjustment panel's Temperature & Tint adjustments would likely work much better.

• 8. Re: Underwater Video Color Correction
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

I was confident that you, of all people, would know the answer!

Thank you for that response.

I was obviously confused on the exact name in PrE, and was also trying to go from my feeble memory, regarding other articles, that I had read.

Greatly appreciated,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Underwater Video Color Correction
                          Ed.Macke Level 3

So, guys, I got a little confused on what was available in PRE7 and what was only available in PRE11, and what was the best option for each.

As I mentioned, I really struggled in PRE7 to get it right (sadly, my feeble mind won't recall exactly what tools I used).

I very recently got PrPro CS6, and it sounds like it might have some better color correction tools? I'm sure that going forward I'll be following Hunt's approach of using PRE or PrPro, whichever is the better tool for the task at hand.

• 10. Re: Underwater Video Color Correction
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed,

Yes, PrPro CS 6 has some great CC Effects, like Fast Color Corrector, 4-Way Color Corrector, and more. Plus, there are plug-ins, like Red Giant's Colorista II, that offer even more power.

About everything recently posted above, is for PrE 11.

Good luck,

Hunt