4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2012 4:21 PM by Peter Spier

clear the InDesign clip board

rrkaiser704

Wow! This seems like a simple question...

Be gentle with the answers, please.

I'm a long time user of CS3, but not for a while.  Don't remember CS3 doing what's below.

Using CS5.5, the selection tool cursor (black arrow) soon has a small black square (I think that's what it is) near it.  My guess is that it's a signal something is on "the clipboard".    There is a clipboard, right?    It's probably there because I cut or copied something.   I want to clear the clip board.   The usefulness of whatever I cut or copied is over,  I want it gone.   Can't figure out how to make it happen.

Extra credit question:    Sometimes cursor's "look different" - like the small black square on the selection cursor mentioned above.  Any way to look up "What does that specific cursor mean?"  Lots of times it ain't obvious.

Thanks,

rrkaiser704        

• 1. Re: clear the InDesign clip board
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I think the little black swqaure you refer to is just a cue that you are actualyy over an object and if you click it will be selected. Most times this is obvioous and the cue is not necessary, but if you are in Preview mode and turned off the object highlighting it's handy for things you can't see.

I'm not sure if the help files will tell you what all the cursors look like, but there should be a What's New section that you should read. Lots of changes (in my opinion for the better) in selection behaviors.

• 2. Re: clear the InDesign clip board
            winterm Level 4

rrkaiser704 wrote:

Using CS5.5, the selection tool cursor (black arrow) soon has a small black square (I think that's what it is) near it.  My guess is that it's a signal something is on "the clipboard".

Very interesting theory, never heard it

It just means your mouse is over selectable object - you can click and select it, than your cursor will change its shape again...

btw, it changes rather often while moving here and there - I think, your best bet is just take time and experiment a bit...

• 3. Re: clear the InDesign clip board
              rrkaiser704 Level 1

Sounds good to me.   Appears to be true.

Thank you. Thank you.

My suggestion to have a way to find "What does this cursor mean?" stands.

If it's in help files, I couldn't find it.

And...  I think the answer proves... sometimes it ain't obvious.

• 4. Re: clear the InDesign clip board
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Trust me, it's hardly the first time a user has found things less than obvious.