10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2012 4:16 PM by LaCieTech

A serious error message

Last House Productions

I know there have been lots of discussions about this error, but all of the talk about nVidia graphics card etc doesn't apply to me and I haven't found anything closer.

I'm using the 27" iMac from 2011 with 12GB of Ram, the AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512MB graphics card on OS X 10.8.2.  Premiere Pro CS6 is crashing every 15 minutes while I'm looking through footage in my bin. Often after a few minutes of hover scrubbing if I double click a clip to access it in my source viewer the program will crash and eventually I'll get the serious error message.  The footage is RED RAW .rsd files on an external 3TB Lacie drive running eSata to a thunderbolt hub and thunderbolt into the iMac.

Any assistance is GREATLY appreciated. I have the crash report if that helps.

• 1. Re: A serious error message
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Do you have any other devices chained on the TB connection? What is the E-sata Hub you are running?

Eric

ADK

• 2. Re: A serious error message
            Last House Productions Level 1

Thanks for responding, Eric. No, no other devices.  One new Lacie 3TB HD running E-sata into the Lacie eSata hub (http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10574)  and one thunderbolt connection out to the iMac.  The crash happens literally every 15 minutes.

• 3. Re: A serious error message

Hmm sounds like Drive power management throttling bandwidth to low on the Lacie drive to handle the bandwidth required by Red files. What happens if you move some of the R3D files over to the OS drive and cycke through them in the source monitor then?

Eric

ADK

• 4. Re: A serious error message

Honestly this is something I've never heard of! I'll try moving some files over and see if the problem persists.   If this is, in fact, the issue, can you recommend a solution?  I know I could transcode my footage down to HD pro res and edit off line and upres after the fact, but the whole reason I switched to Premiere is because it claims to handle RED Raw well so I was hoping to edit the raw footage.

Would a new hard drive be the answer? If so what specs should I look for in a HD that will ensure that it'll work?

Thanks again for taking the time to answer.

• 5. Re: A serious error message

You want to eliminate the E-Sata controller out of the communication chain and just go with a direct TB drive setup. I would start with this which would be ideal for Red work. Just remember to keep your raws backed up on other drives since you will want the raid 0 options.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=860

Eric

ADK

• 6. Re: A serious error message

So you think the hub is the culprit? Ok. I guess I should return it?

• 7. Re: A serious error message

Yes I think the E-Sata controller is the problem since that changes the device class of the unit. The device class identity is what decides power management throttling options used by the OS. Also the extra controller add's latency to the entire communication. I would return the device.

Eric

ADK

• 8. Re: A serious error message
                        LaCieTech

Hi,

Its been a while since you posted this so it may be too late if you've already returned it, but I thought I'd chime in anyway. Given the details I don't believe that your hub is the issue. Most of the time if you have an application crash while accessing a file or specific kind of file its not the hardware between the application and its target data. I can't say that its not possible, but here at LaCie we find cases of hardware interfaces causing software crashes very rarely.

I think the troubleshooting step of testing the same data from another location would have been very telling and would help to determine, or at least narrow down, the likely culprit. If you still have your LaCie products, please give our support staff a call or send us a ticket and we can help you investigate what might be causing this by confirming that the drive and hub are working normally.

~michael, LaCie

• 9. Re: A serious error message

Hello Michael,

I did take out a ticket with Lacie a week ago and never heard from anyone. I have not returned the device yet but I did run some tests by putting footage on my desktop and repeating the process in Premiere Pro and it was rock solid so it's either the hub or the drive. If you have any insight into this problem I'd love to hear it but I will more than likely be returning this hub. It doesn't work.  Also, it'd very slow to wake up the drive when my computer sleeps which means that it ejects the drive and my work goes offline. An infuriating habit.

I've always been a fan of Lacie's products and I know this foray into new and faster ways of moving data is going to be a bumpy road but I'm a little peeved that I reached out for help and never got an answer.

Derek

• 10. Re: A serious error message
                            LaCieTech Level 1

Hi Derek,

May I have your ticket number? I will check why it hasn't been replied to yet.

If the application crashes only when accessing the data from the drive and not from other locations then I'd agree its the drive causing the issue but we have not had any cases (that I'm aware of) where the hub causes software crashes. Logical corruption, volume corruption or other types of software based issues that make data unreadable can do that though; I'm just not sure its a hardware issue yet, but again, could be possible.

As far as your other issues with the hub, I'd agree that if its causing a delay you can't work with or dismounting the external drive then you should return it or at least exchange it - that behavior isn't normal.

~michael, LaCie