6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2012 9:12 AM by the_wine_snob

Adding Video Editing to existing CS5 - Possible?

spindy12

I have adobe photoshop CS5 version 12.1.  Is there any way to add on the video editing component without having to purchase the whole Premiere package?

• 1. Re: Adding Video Editing to existing CS5 - Possible?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Is it correct to assume that you do not have PS Extended?

If so, then the easiest way to add video-editing would be to buy Adobe Premiere Elements 11.

Even better would be to buy Adobe Premiere Pro CS 6, but that is not cheap.

I know that you mentioned NOT upgrading, but a consideration would be to actually upgrade to Adobe Production Premium CS 6, which will have PS Extended, Premiere Pro, Encore (the authoring app), After Effects, Prelude and Illustrator.

For video-editing, Premiere (either Pro, or Elements) will give you far more power, and especially PrPro.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Adding Video Editing to existing CS5 - Possible?
            spindy12 Level 1

Correct, I do not currently have PS Extended.  Thank you for the information.

• 3. Re: Adding Video Editing to existing CS5 - Possible?
              Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just to expand a bit on Bill's post. Upgrading to photoshop CS6 standard will also provide video editing. The extended addition is no longer required for video editing.

That being said, this is what I have heard and have not verified.

• 4. Re: Adding Video Editing to existing CS5 - Possible?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Silkrooster,

I believe that you are correct. With PS CS 6, Video has now been added to PS "regular," and the big difference with Extended is enhanced 3D. Before CS 6 (CS 5 & 5.5), I believe that video was ONLY in the Extended version.

As I have Premiere Pro, and also Premiere Elements, I have to admit that I have not explored PS's video handling, but from the reading that I have done here, it seems to have some limitations. However, those limitations might never show, depending on what one wants/needs to do. With many "standard" video formats, and CODEC's, it appears to do an adequate job.

However, were I doing much video work, I would certainly explore the Premiere family of programs.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Adding Video Editing to existing CS5 - Possible?
                  Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yeah, I am in total agreement, there are things that can be done in premeire or after effects that can not be done in photoshop. Though I have not tried CS6 yet, so I am sure things have changed quite a bit.

• 6. Re: Adding Video Editing to existing CS5 - Possible?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I have not really explored the video capabilities of PS CS 6 (old dog - new tricks in my case), but then I do have PrPro and AE, so I have my "old favs" right on the machine. I also try to "use the right tool for the job," and Adobe makes that easy for me, though not "inexpensively." For instance, PrPro and AE can do some minor editing of Still Images, but I would almost always go to Photoshop for that. It's similar with Vector Images - PS can do more and more with each version, but when I get serious, Illustrator comes out. Were I an Adobe Sr. Product Manager, I'd keep each program about where they are, and not try to make any one a Do-It-All application - a little cross-over is good, but too much, and the program is going to bloat, and likely loose stability. The "suite" is the way to go, IMHO.

Reading the various articles on video in PS Extended (before CS 6), and PS CS 6, it DOES look like video handling is getting better and better. For common formats and CODEC's, it does seem to have quite a bit of power, but when one steps out of those capabilities, then Premiere, or After Effects really shine.

I see it as similar to Premiere Elements, where if one is working with very standard and common material, the program works very well. However, when one steps up to say RED 4K footage, ArriRAW, or even non-standard material, from perhaps a video screen-capture program, PrPro really shines, and can easily do work, that PrE cannot even touch.

Just my observations,

Hunt