5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2012 3:53 PM by cfg_2451

Is there a clarity function in Photoshop or After Effects similar to LR?

GregBC727

I am aware of the clarity option in Photoshop effects for RAW files, but is there a clarity option in any of the programs for editing video?

I am a photographer and have used LR for years.

I am new to videos and trying to get the same type of easy adjustments in either Photoshop or After Effects.

I have done much research and watched days worth of tutorials, but I can't seem to find any way to enhance a photo the same way I can in LR.

For now I am importing the video file into AE, exporting as a JPEG sequence, importing into LR, editing the clairty, shadows/highlights, vibrance and saturation, exporting at highest quality, then reimporting back into AE.

The result is good, but I literally have hundreds and eventually thousnds of clips to edit and I would like to know if there is a more seamless way.

I have also had trouble adjusting shadows and highlights in AE, many times there is a flicker between frames, slightly brighter or darker when the movie runs, even though I am just selecting the general AE Shadow/Highlights effects option.

I have tried adjusting curves and levels in AE and PS, but it is not as accurate for me as LR.

In LR I can get exactly what I want, but exporting multiple times probably degrades things a bit and is time consuming.

If there is a different way to get the same clarity in either PS or AE I would be happy if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Is there a clarity function in Photoshop or After Effects similar to LR?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's called color grading or color timing. The best 3rd party plug-in for that is MagicBullet Colorista. There are also tools in AE for color grading.

You have to be careful with video. You can't sharpen it as much as you do with stills. Because the image is moving it's a lot more sensitive to noise in the moving detail. Your workflow is not at all the way you should be grading video. You absolutely must judge your results with the video running at speed. You cannot make judgements based on a single frame. You'll just get into trouble expecially if you are trying to crisp up the image.

I'd recommend that you start with a demo version of Colorista or Colorista Free to get you started, if you have the budget, look at the entire Magic Bullet suite. I've used it on every video project since it was introduced. Red Giant has a bunch of good tutorials on their site for these products.

Magic Bullet Colorista Free

Magic Bullet Suite

• 2. Re: Is there a clarity function in Photoshop or After Effects similar to LR?
            GregBC727 Level 1

Thanks for the reply Rick.

I checked out a video but the free Colorista does not work with AE CS6 yet.

Hopefully they will have an update soon.

(Edited to add) The Bullet Suite looks good, I could use several of those programs, I will check to see if the Guru Suite is updated yet and if so download that trial.

Cheers

• 3. Re: Is there a clarity function in Photoshop or After Effects similar to LR?
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Even if you can find the appropriate plugin for your work, I think you'll still be disappointed by the results.  Unlike a DSLR, video cameras are incapable of recording RAW.  You simply do not have the same latitude to adjust images after the fact.

If you think about the exposure restrictions imposed on motion picture photographers from Days Of Yore -- the gents who shot on real celluloid film -- you're in a similar boat as theirs when shooting video.

• 4. Re: Is there a clarity function in Photoshop or After Effects similar to LR?
                GregBC727 Level 1

Hi Dave

We don't use RAW files even in our photography because we do high FPS surf sequence shots.

But I still get your point about the lesser quality video image not being as maleable and therefore no specific clarity type function on the video editors.

The closest thing I have found is Magic Bullet Denoiser. I will keep going through tutorials for now.

Thanks

• 5. Re: Is there a clarity function in Photoshop or After Effects similar to LR?
                  cfg_2451 Level 2

GregBC727 wrote:

I am aware of the clarity option in Photoshop effects for RAW files, but is there a clarity option in any of the programs for editing video?

I am a photographer and have used LR for years.

I am new to videos and trying to get the same type of easy adjustments in either Photoshop or After Effects.

There is not "clarity option" for editing video, no. But that's sort of like complaining that your apple doesn't taste like an orange. Color correction for video is a very different animal than it is for stills.

You might want to read up on things a bit. I suggest Van Hurkman's book Color Correction Handbook. This will give you some idea of how video and cinema people approach this subject, and give you an idea of how to use the tools you've already got inside PPro.