7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2012 8:40 AM by Ann Bens

New PAR - Will The Black Lines Show on TV?

alchemyvideo

Hi all,

It's been a while since I had to prepare HD footage for PAL DVD replication, so I've just encountered a 'new' problem of black bars left and right of the frame.

My source footage is 1080/25.  I am encoding (using CS6) to MPEG 2 Widescreen DVD, 7mb/s CBR, at the new forced Adobe PAR preset of 1.458.

My finished MPEG2 output has black bars left and right.  Now I suspect that these will not show up on TV sets, but as I will be producing thousands of copies of this documentary, I must be CERTAIN that these lines will never show up on any TV set, be it Plasma, LCD, LED, CRT etc.

I know others suggest zooming in to fill the frame to get rid of the bars in the finished file, but I'm just not willing to do that.

This issue has caused a major plug in my workflow, as the replication company are waiting to go.  If anyone can swiftly put my mind at rest on this, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance.

Paul

• 1. Re: New PAR - Will The Black Lines Show on TV?
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In the export settings you can set the crop to 'scale to fill'.

One is not going to notice that as you are already are going from HD to SD.

• 2. Re: New PAR - Will The Black Lines Show on TV?
            alchemyvideo Level 1

Thanks Ann but I do not want to alter my framing.  Scaling to fill will mean I lose from the top and bottom of my image.  I just want to export it properly, the way I used to with previous versions.

• 3. Re: New PAR - Will The Black Lines Show on TV?
              Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Since you are editing HD and exporting SD, it might be difficult to know for certain, In fact, I am reasonably sure that someone, on something, will see those bars.

However, and this depends on the content, you might be better off bringing your HD sequence into a new sequence that matches the settings of your export. (1.4587)

Rather than "Scale to Frame Size", use Motion to scale it to fit the way you want it. You decide exactly what gets cut off, if anything. In fact, once again depending on the content, you may find you want to scale it down a little less in certain areas of the timeline. With this method, scaling up to see a more specific part of the frame is lossless as long as you do not exceed 100%.

It should take very little time to try this out. Just toss your existing sequence into a new sequence and export a few seconds of it. See what happens.

• 4. Re: New PAR - Will The Black Lines Show on TV?
                alchemyvideo Level 1

I take your point Steven, that lossless approach would be a little better than 'scale to frame' I guess.

Frankly, I can't believe I'm having to decide on the best bodge-up at this stage in my work.  This doc has been a year in the making!

Adobe's logic astounds me sometimes.  How hard would it be to also give users the option to do use the old PAR as we have been for years?  I've read about their standpoint on this and personally, I couldn't care less about the underlying maths, 'correcting a mistake' or the BBC's current standards.  Surely all that matters is that our client's work looks right on their TV!

Thanks again Steven,

Paul

• 5. Re: New PAR - Will The Black Lines Show on TV?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

You have two choices here, reframe, or risk the bars being seen.

Probably 99% or more of the TVs on the market will not show the black bars.  Even most modern HDTVs still have ovescan.  But not all.  There are some higher end models that will show the entire 1920 x 1080 raster, so anyone watching on such a TV will see the black bars.  So if you absolutely want to avoid that, your only choice will be to reframe.  If you have CS6, this is made easy by selecting the Scale to Fill option on the Export settings.

• 6. Re: New PAR - Will The Black Lines Show on TV?
                    alchemyvideo Level 1

Thanks Jim, that sounds very conclusive.

• 7. Re: New PAR - Will The Black Lines Show on TV?
                      Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

alchemyvideo wrote:

Thanks Ann but I do not want to alter my framing.  Scaling to fill will mean I lose from the top and bottom of my image.  I just want to export it properly, the way I used to with previous versions.

Dropping a hd file into a SD timeline will also mean loosing top and bottom.

You wont see the difference as in both cases you are downconverting from hd to sd.